Broken Hearted on the Mend

Chapter 40

Rhiannon's Point of View

I knew something wasn't right when I finally started stirring. I wasn't on hard ground where I knew I had passed out earlier. I was laying on something a lot softer. The only thing I didn't know was how long I had been unconscious for. I groaned as I opened my eyes slowly. Sunlight streamed through the window and instantly blinded me, so I snapped my eyes closed again. When I reopened my eyes the sunlight wasn't as bright. I rubbed my head to get rid of the dull ache that pounded it. I let out a low groan before I rolled to my side in order to sit up. I glanced to my right before turning my head towards the window on my left. My breath caught in my throat as I whipped my head back towards the right.

Lying on the bed, with his eyes closed peacefully, was my Emmett. His chest was moving up and down slowly and I could hear a steady heartbeat. Tears sprang to my eyes as I stared at his sleeping form. I wanted to touch him, but I didn't want to wake him up either. Flashes of his unseeing eyes, staring at me as I passed out from exerting so much energy, made the tears flow a little faster. I had wanted to die after seeing him killed by Jane. I didn't want to live anymore when I knew he wasn't going to come back to me, but seeing him now, lying here next to me made things ten times better.

I lay down again, trying not to move too much. My body was sore and I only assumed it was because of the battle we had all fought. I just wish I knew how long I had been unconscious for. I closed my eyes once I was comfortable again. I rolled to my side with my back facing Emmett's body. I didn't want to believe it right away. If I woke up again later and he was still there then I know that I wasn't dreaming, but right now I could only believe that this was a dream. Emmett wasn't alive anymore or even undead for that matter. I had watched Jane kill him and that made my heart hurt.

I wiped the tears from my eyes as I closed them again. I couldn't dwell on losing Emmett. I had to stay strong for my kids, but it hurt. We had just gotten engaged and if it hadn't been for the damn Volturi interfering with our lives I would be married right now. I would be able to live with my family.
I would be happy right now instead of trying to keep my tears at bay. Part of me wishes that I wasn't able to cry like a regular human, but another part is glad that I can. I've always hated showing my emotions to people because I've always felt that it shows weakness, but I've come to learn that it can also show strength. My eyes close as I let sleep consume me. I wanted to wake up from this torturous dream.

****

When I woke up again the sun wasn't as bright as it was before. I lay on my side a few moments longer before rolling to my back. I stared at the ceiling, wishing I knew what everyone else was up to. I turned my head towards my right and my breath caught in my throat again. Emmett was still sleeping soundly next to me. His chest was rising up and down like before. His heart was beating steadily still. I didn't understand what was going on.

"He's alive," a voice said softly.

I sat up and stared into the corner of the room. Kira was sitting there with a soft smile on her face. I looked back to Emmett and wanted to touch him, but I was afraid to wake him up.

"Don't be afraid, Rhia. He's okay. I had to burn him before I could bring him back, but he's alive.
He'll have a year as a human before he goes through the transformation again," she said.

Tears brimmed in my eyes as I flung myself from the bed and into her arms. She caught me and wrapped her arms around me tightly. "I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if I hadn't saved him," she said.

"Thank you. I owe you," I said, trying to keep myself from sobbing.

"No you don't. You're my best friend. I had to save him. I wouldn't have been able to handle seeing you so depressed," she said.

I sniffled and nodded. I pulled away from the hug and smiled at her. A groan made me whip my head towards the bed. Emmett shifted, but didn't wake up. I turned back to Kira.

"How long did it take for Rose to wake up?" I asked.

"He should be waking up soon. You both have been out for two and a half weeks," she said.

My eyes widened. "I have?"

She nodded. "After the battle, you passed out. I was scared you might have died from the blast," she said.

"The blast?"

She frowned. "Yeah, the blast," she said.

"What blast?"

"The blast that incinerated Jane and the rest of the Strigoi," she said frowning.

"Jane's gone?"

"Yeah, when she killed Emmett, you lost control or something, but everyone was like frozen. Your body started glowing blue and everything. I didn't know what was happening. Brianna's spirit had already moved on so I couldn't ask her. We all got knocked out for a few minutes, but when I came too, you were passed out cold eyes staring at Emmett's head on the ground," she explained.

I swallowed at hearing the events that happened. "I don't know what happened. Gracie had taken over my body when I fought Aro, but I don't think she took over again. It's possible though," I whispered.

"Well, it's done and over with now. We don't need to dwell on it ever again," Kira said firmly.

I nodded and hugged her again. I then stood up and walked back to the bed. Kira stood up and gave me a soft smile before she left the room. I gathered we were back at the palace, but I didn't really care at the moment. I climbed back into bed, glad that my movement didn't jostle the bed too much. I pulled the covers over me and then gently rested my head on Emmett's chest as it continued to rise up and down slowly.

****

I must have dozed off again because when I opened my eyes next I felt someone staring at me. I stretched my body and let out a yawn. After I finished blinking my eyes I looked up to see Emmett staring at me with the most gorgeous ocean blue eyes I had ever seen. I smiled at him and he grinned at me.

"Hi," I said.

"Hi," he said.

I buried my head in his chest and I could hear him chuckle as his chest vibrated with his laughter. His arms circled my waist and I inhaled his scent as my eyes closed with content.

"Don't you ever leave me," I murmured against his chest.

His arms tightened a little as I felt his lips on my hair. "Never. We're finally safe again," he whispered softly.

I wrapped my arms around his waist and held on tightly. I couldn't help, but feel scared that I was going to lose him again. "You are not leaving my sight until you change again," I said matter-of-factly.

He chuckled again. "I wouldn't dream of leaving your sight in a million years," he answered.

I hugged him tightly, not wanting to let him go. I couldn't help, but giggle when his stomach started to growl. I moved my head so my chin was resting against his chest as I looked up at him.

"Someone's hungry," I giggled.

He grinned as he moved me so I was lying on top of him. "I only want you though," he said wriggling his eyebrows at me. I blushed and hid my face in his shoulder as he laughed at my embarrassment. Truth was, I wanted him too, but I was afraid that I would hurt him. His stomach growled again and I looked at him with a smile.

"Come on; let's get you something to eat. I don't want you dying on me from starvation," I said.

He kissed me and the warmth from his lips felt different, but I could only imagine that was how he felt when I was human. We kissed for a few minutes before I pulled away and got off of him. He groaned, but followed my lead. I walked out of the bedroom and into what looked like a sitting room. I had no idea where we were, but it seemed really luxurious. The room held plush couches and chairs, a fireplace, and other amenities that would come with a living room. I stopped short and almost toppled over when Emmett ran into me. He steadied me and I leaned into the warmth of his body.

"Do you know where we are?" he asked.

"No, but my guess is the palace where our kids are to remain until they are old enough to rule the people," I answered.

"Rule what people?" he asked.

I looked up at him. I opened my mouth to explain, but the door opening cut me off before I could say anything.

"Your children are to rule my people," a soft voice said.

I turned towards the door and smiled at Lissa and Rose standing there. They smile at me and walk forward until they are in front of us both. "We are glad to see that Emmett is alright. We had our doubts about Kira's talent," Lissa said.

"Kira is great though. I'm just glad that Emmett is still here. I don't think I would have survived if he had died," I answered honestly.

Emmett wrapped his arms around me and held me tightly. "I'm not going anywhere," he murmured softly.

I smiled and snuggled into his embrace. Rose and Lissa giggled. "You two are adorable," Rose said with a wry smile.

Emmett looked down at me and grinned. "So, where's the kitchen? I'm starved," he finally said.
Lissa giggled again. "Come on, I'll show you the way to the dining room," she said. They turned and we followed them out of the room. Guardians were walking the halls and it made me smile that they weren't running around in a frantic hurry.

"So, are all the Strigoi dead?" I asked Rose.

"No, Strigoi won't ever be completely dead, but we have scared them off for awhile and I'm hoping for a long while," she answered.

"Well, we'll help anyway we can, especially since our kids are now supposed to rule your world," Emmett said.

"Yes, indeed. Kira and Rosalie will be looking after our people for the most part, but my attention will be divided between the two," I said.

Emmett squeezed my hand and I smiled at him. Lissa and Rose turned down another hallway and we followed in silence. Once we reached the dining room I stopped short at seeing my two little girls sitting in the chair and eating. My breath caught in my throat when I saw my little boy already sitting up in a chair and eating as well. He must have retained some magic so that he could grow at the same rate as his sisters. I leaned into Emmett as his arm wrapped around my waist. I continued to watch my kids eat their meal. I was happy to see Kira, Rosalie, and Dimitri sitting with them along with Christian, Mia, and Eddie. I knew we'd be friends for life.

Rose cleared her throat and Dimitri looked up and smiled when he saw us standing in the doorway. My kids stopped eating when they noticed Dimitri not paying attention to them. They turned their heads until their eyes landed on me and Emmett. Their eyes widened in shock at first and then quickly turned to excitement. All three of them climbed down from their chairs and ran over to us.

"Mommy, Daddy," they all said.

I broke from Emmett's hold and squatted down to the floor and wrapped my arms around all three of them as they barreled into me. I hugged them tightly and kissed them all on the head before pulling away from them and Emmett kneeled down on his knees and hugged them all as well.

"We so happy you woked up," Adrian said with a toothy grin.

I giggled and ruffled his hair. He laughed and then raised his arms so that he could be lifted.
Emmett stood up and then lifted him in the air. Adrian was a special little boy. He was fully human, but he had some special magic on his side. I smiled at my fiancé and looked down at my two little girls. I noticed some differences between the two already, which would factor into who would rule which race of people in Lissa and Rose's world. I watched as Emma and Nadia each clung onto one of Emmett's legs and started giggling as he walked around with them standing on his feet.

My family was almost complete. There was one thing left to do. After Emmett stopped playing with the kids they returned to the table to finish eating their food. Emmett was just about to sit down when I caught his eye and waved him back over to the door. He looked longingly at the food and I chuckled at his behavior. He had such a young heart still and I was glad that that didn't change. He walked over to me and I looked up at him. He smiled down at me before leaning down and pressing his lips to mine in a soft kiss.

"EWWWW," three little kids yelled.

I giggled and looked at them with a smile. They were so adorable. I turned my attention back to Emmett.

"What's wrong, baby," he asked, growing worried.

"Nothing, well there is something," I told him.

"What is it?" he asked.

"Our little family isn't quite complete yet," I answered.

"What do you mean?"

Instead of verbally answering him I lifted my hand to show him the engagement ring that was still there. He grinned at me before lifting me up from the ground and spinning me around. I laughed as I clung to his neck. When he set me down the smile was still plastered on my face.

"Well, we'll have to take care of that now won't we," he said resting his forehead against mine.

I nodded and pecked his lips. Someone clearing their throat made me look in the direction of the table. Lissa was standing there with a smile on her face.

"I know you two are way over due for a wedding, but our people are wondering when we can hold the coronation," she said softly.

I looked towards Emmett who merely shrugged. "How soon does it need to be done?"

"The Council would prefer it to be as soon as possible. Rose, Dimitri, Christian and I will be appointed advisors to them until they are capable of running the country on their own. We will have numerous amounts of Guardians assigned to them as well," she answered.

I looked at my kids. They were still so young and I couldn't help, but feel afraid for their lives. A hand touched my arm and I looked to see Rose and Dimitri standing in front of me.

"It's okay to be scared. They are your kids and you don't have to leave here if you don't want to," she
said.

I nodded. I looked towards them again before looking towards Lissa. "Can we wait a few more months?" I asked.

"Of course," she said.

I smiled and then turned towards Emmett. "Let's eat before you die of hunger," I joked.

He sent me a cheeky grin before taking my hand leading me towards the table. We sat down and began to eat our breakfast.

****

A few months passed since Emmett and I initially woke up from the aftermath of the battle. Our life couldn't have been any better than it already was. Emmett had taken me out on dates and we had shared some intimate nights together. Emmett and I had taken the kids on outings around the palace as a family. We wanted to spend time together before we had to watch them grow up faster than they should. Although, it wouldn't have been a huge issue since all three were already looking older than they should for their age.

Today was the day of the coronation for our children. Emmett and I had taken the kids shopping three days ago so that we could pick out the best outfits for them as well as us. Carlisle and Esme were excited to see their grandkids take over a whole race of people. I was scared something would go wrong though. Emmett told me that everything would be just fine, but it didn't help my nerves.

I was currently getting ready for the ceremony. Emmett was helping the kids out to make sure that they wouldn't ruin their nice clothes. I sat in front of the vanity mirror and stared at my reflection. I knew that my kids were destined for greatness when they were born, but a part of me didn't want to let them go just yet. I knew that I didn't have to leave right away and I was grateful for that, but I
still felt as if something was going to go wrong. I couldn't shake the feeling that was plaguing me.

"Rhiannon, it's almost time, are you ready?" Emmett's voice asked.

I glanced behind me in the mirror to see him standing there in his suit. He looked so handsome and I smiled at him. He walked forward and placed his hands on my shoulders.

"Rhiannon, everything is going to be fine," he said.

I sighed and leaned back in the chair. Emmett lifted me out of the chair and turned me to face him. I looked up at him and frowned.

“What’s wrong, baby?” he asked lightly.

“I just can’t shake this feeling that something is going to go wrong today,” I answered.

He sighed and lifted my chin a little. “Stop worrying. We’ll take handle anything that comes in our way. The Volturi are dead and our girls are going to be queens. It’s something we will have to get used to, but I swear things will be okay,” he reassured.

I smiled at him and then wrapped my arms around his shoulders. “I don’t know what I would have done if I had lost you,” I murmured into his neck.

He chuckled as he circled my waist with his arms and hugged me back. “Can’t get rid of me that easily,” he replied.

I laughed and turned back to the vanity. I quickly finished up with my appearance and then hooked
arms with Emmett and we made our way to the throne room.

****

The ceremony was absolutely beautiful. Our girls accepted their duties that would be bestowed upon them and our son accepted to be the peace keeper between the two girls. It was a beautiful sight to see my kids up on the throne. It was also a little depressing, because I wasn’t expecting for something like this to happen so soon.

Leah would be living in the palace because of her connection to Adrian. Lissa, Rose, Dimitri, and Christian were all sworn in as advisors to our children. They would in fact be running the court until our kids were old enough, but the fact that the coronation was done, was the important thing. After the ceremony was over, Carlisle and Esme took the kids to their rooms to change so that they could go to the reception and not worry about getting their clothes dirty. When they returned the reception was underway and people were celebrating for a new beginning.

****

Five months after the coronation ceremony I found myself sitting in front of my vanity mirror again at the palace. Alice, Rosalie, Rose, Kira, Bella, Lissa, and Esme all planned my wedding for me. They said that it was finally time for us to tie the knot. The palace seamstress had made my gown for me after I had told her what I wanted it to look like. I had yet to put the dress on, but I had wanted my hair and makeup to be done first that way I wouldn’t have gotten anything on the dress.

“Rhiannon, are you ready?” Alice’s voice asked.

I turned to look at her and smiled. “More than ever,” I answered.

She grinned and then walked over to me. I stood up and hugged her before slipping off the robe I was wearing. She helped me into the dress and then zipped it up. I turned around and carefully sat down in the chair again. She stood behind me and then fixed my hair a little before placing the small tiara on my head.

“You look stunning,” she said.

“Thank you.”

“Emmett is going be floored when he see you,” another voice said.

I looked behind me to see Rosalie standing there.

“You think so?”

“I know so. Rhiannon, you’re gorgeous and Emmett loves you. You two will live happily forever and I actually mean that,” she said with a wink.

I laughed and stood up. I walked over to her and gave her a hug.

“Thank you for being such a wonderful friend,” I said.

She returned the hug. “It’s hard to not like you. You’re just such a wonderful friend,” she replied.

We finished the final touches to our appearances before heading towards the throne room where the wedding would be held. I was a tad nervous, but I knew that I shouldn’t be. It wasn’t long before the ceremony started. It wasn’t a very long one either. Carlisle gave me away and the ceremony was absolutely beautiful. It reminded me of the coronation ceremony. Butterflies swarmed my stomach when I kissed Emmett. We were ambushed by our kids in the middle of the kiss, but we didn’t care. We ran back down the aisle as husband and wife and then it was time for the reception. The night ended with Emmett and I making love.

****

During our honeymoon Emmett and I were in Paris. We literally had a month long honeymoon because we didn’t want to leave. When we came back everyone was happy to see us still happy and glowing from our wedding bliss. The kids were playing, but I had realized that when we were gone they had started in on changing things around the court. It was shocking, yet exciting at the same time.

When Emmett finally changed back into a vampire the process was painful. I held his hand and tried to ease the pain, but I knew that it wasn’t going to do anything. When the transformation was finally complete and Emmett opened his eyes again I felt relieved. I would be able to live with my husband for many years. We would be able to see our kids grow and become great rulers and that was everything I could ever dream of. There would, hopefully, be no more fighting, but I knew that if there would be more Emmett and I would fight together, side by side and that is the only place I’d rather be.
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry it took me so long to finish this. Thankfully, it is finally over. I hope all who read it enjoyed it. The ending was a difficult road to write, but I finally managed to do it. I'm so happy that this story is done. Another story to add to the completed list. Now to work on the rest of them that are incomplete. Thanks again for sticking with this if you have. It means a lot!