The Consequence

fear's got a hold on me

Six months later

The midday sun was blazing in the clear sky. The clouds were running scared, providing no shade for anyone in Arizona. It was on days like these that air conditioning was a god send. People secretly thanked whoever had invented it, and allowed the icy air to refresh their sticky skin.

The air conditioning whirred in the church. The sound was drowned out through the excited chatter of the friends and family of Eric Halvorsen and Ashley Anders. Everyone was dressed to the nines. The girls twirled in their pretty dresses, admired one another’s shoes and handbags and showed off about jewellery boyfriends had bought for them. The guys sat patiently waiting in their rented tuxes, the singles mentally undressing the girls around them, those with dates looking at their girls adoringly. Wedding’s brought out the romantic in even the most cynical of humans.

“You okay?” John O’Callaghan watched his best friend pace at the front of the church.

Eric looked at him and shook his head, “I think I’m gonna puke.”

“Are you sure you wanna do this?”

He nodded. “Yeah, yeah, if I don’t do it now, I never will. I love her and it feels right, I’m just -” he faltered and shook his head, “I can do this.”

John looked at him uncertainly and looked back at the front doors of the church. All the congregation was sitting themselves down, awaiting the arrival of the blushing bride and beautiful bridesmaids. He glanced at his watch. They were already twenty minutes late.

“Honestly, mum, go!” Ashley laughed lightly, masking her pain. She shooed her mother out of the door of the bedroom, following her down the stairs and into the hall. Her bridesmaids were all clustered by the front door, each one looking as beautiful as the next. Ashley had chosen strapless pale pink dresses for them all, with delicate silver heels and bouquets of white roses. She smiled around at them all. Her hair was curled and styled in an elegant twist at the back and her make up was carefully applied, yet she was still in her jeans and hoodie.

“Ashley, you’re not even dressed yet, honey, what if you need help with the zipper? Or what if you break a nail?” Her mother fussed around her.

Ashley shook her head. “It’ll be fine. Get to the church and tell them I’m coming. I won’t be long, I promise. I just need a few minutes to myself.”

Her mother sighed and nodded. “Fine, okay,” she enveloped her in a comforting hug. “No tears though, alright? We can’t have that mascara running down your face.” She smiled tearfully, before ushering the bridesmaids out of the door and into the fancy car waiting outside.

Alone at long last, Ashley sighed heavily and looked around. Stray rose petals littered the carpet and a cloud of sweet smelling perfume hung in the air. She slumped down on the bottom step and inspected the ring sitting pretty on her finger. The diamond glinted in the sunlight pouring through the window. It was a beautiful ring. But it lacked meaning. There was no love encased between the crystals. Nothing.

She forced herself to head up the stairs and into the room she’d been assigned to get herself ready in. Her dress was hanging up on the wardrobe door. It was white, strapless and plain. It looked immaculate. Ashley could only imagine what she’d end up spilling down it.

That was, if she was intending to wear it at all.

She stroked the crackly protective plastic gently. “One day, maybe.” She grabbed her handbag and threw her phone inside, along with the other things she’d brought along with her. Grabbing her car keys, she headed down the stairs and slipped her feet into the black patent stilettos she’d arrived in.

Unlocking her car, she sat down in the drivers seat. Her own wedding car was parked in front, the driver slumped down in the drivers seat. Her step father was supposed to be meeting her at the front of the church so he could give her away. That was the plan. There were a lot of plans for today. All of which were about to be thrown off course completely. She started the engine and headed for the church.

Truth be told, Ashley Anders was a people pleaser. After she’d found Evie Vickers bleeding to death on the pavement six months ago, Eric had smothered her with love and affection, like he was worried the same thing would happen to her. He’d insisted they marry quicker than they’d originally agreed, and so Ashley had gone ahead with everything. She’d sat round tables with wedding planners, devising guest lists and trying on dresses, designing invitations and creating appropriate seating plans. Only one person knew what she was going to do today.

And he was the best man.

John O’Callaghan had become her confidant, after she’d revealed she wasn’t in love with Eric the night Evie was stabbed. John chased her up on her confession and he was the only one who understood. He understood, but remained neutral. He wouldn’t tell Eric, but he’d know what was coming.

Which is why, when Ashley pulled up outside the church and crashed through the front doors, John was the only person who didn’t have a look of pure shock painted across his face. She walked quickly up the aisle, hating all those pairs of eyes burning into her. The whispers and murmurs began before she reached the alter. Rumours fell from toxic lips, circulating the room before Ashley could catch her breath.

Eric just looked confused. He stared at her. “Ash, why aren’t you wearing your dress? What’s going on?”

She shook her head, tears stinging her eyes now she was face to face with him. He genuinely loved her. He really did. Which made this so much harder for her. “I can’t. I can’t do this. I’m so sorry, Eric. I’d rather do this now than put you through a messy divorce months down the line.”

“Ash,” Logan appeared at her side, he looked at her, eyes full of concern. “What’s wrong?”

She pressed her lips together and shook her head again. “I can’t do that to you, Eric. I can’t hurt you. I know I probably have now, but believe me, it’s easier to finish this now than have to get lawyers and all sorts of professionals involved if we say ‘I do’. I love you, but I’m not in love with you. You deserve a girl who’s going to adore you and hang on your every word. You need someone better than me. I shouldn’t have let things get this far, and I’m an idiot for allowing it. It was just so overwhelming. You proposed and then we agreed to wait, and then all that stuff with Evie. It was suffocating. I couldn’t breathe to set myself free.” She looked at her step brother. Logan nodded as a signal to continue.

“It’d be unfair of me to let you go through with this, knowing it isn’t right. I’m sorry, and I know you’ll hate me forever for jilting you.” She took the engagement ring off her finger and handed it to him. “One day you’ll find the perfect girl for you. I’m not her though.” She kissed his cheek, before heading out of the church, head bowed as the murmurs started up, haunting her.

“Ashley!”

She turned at the end of the path leading out to the street. She wanted to jump into her car and drive. Go anywhere. The further away from here, the better.

Eric looked at her, still holding the ring in his hand. “Thank you.”

“For what? Breaking your heart?”

“Having the guts to tell me.” He threw the ring at her, which she managed to catch. “Keep it. Call it a friendship ring. I’ll only sell it on Ebay, anyway.”

A tear trickled down her cheek. She smiled and nodded, closing the gap between them and kissing his lips lightly. “I’m sorry.”

“I ought to hate you, but I don’t.”

She shrugged. “I hate me. I don’t understand why you don’t.”

“Maybe I realised this wasn’t right.”

“We realised too late, didn’t we?”

Eric turned and glanced at the church’s entrance, where half the congregation were gathered and the rest were still spilling through the double doors. “That we did. Hey, before you run off, at least come and cut our wedding cake?”

She smiled weakly and wiped her eyes. “Tempting, but, no, I think I’m gonna go.” She nodded at John, before getting into her car and leaving it all behind her. She checked the rear view mirror, seeing Eric waving at her. A smile crossed her lips. Finally, she was free.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've always had this planned to happen. This storyline wasn't as out there as I originally wanted it to be, but I hope it makes sense.

One left after this.