Status: It's Going Well, chapters are making good time =]

On the Brinks

Time to Consider

Dale sat at the edge of his chair. One hand held Faith’s while the other held a worn copy of Pride and Prejudice. At the moment, she slept as the latest treatment worked through her system. The doctors didn’t hold much hope this time.

Doctor Olmen had flown in from New York to check on her. She’d been his patient since the beginning and it mattered little to him that she was no longer under the label of child.

Elizabeth, having rather expected to affront him, was amazed at his gallantry; but there was a mixture of sweetness and archness in her manner which made it difficult for her to affront anybody; and Darcy had never been so bewitched by any woman as he was by her...”Dale paused in his quiet reading when he felt a hand rest on his shoulder. Looking up, he saw an old familiar face.

In the past year he’d come to trust the man just about as much as Faith did. He was a good doctor, filled with years of experience.

“How are you doing, Dale?” Dale marked the page and stood up. Like with most people, he was taller than the doctor, but only by an inch or so.

“Tired.” Though it was more mental and emotional, than physical. Going through this with Faith had drained him, but he could never think of leaving her and didn’t even want to think of her leaving him. Briefly he looked over at her still form before looking back at the doctor.

“There’s gotta be something you can do for her, doc.”

“We’re doing all we can, Dale, but like you, she’s tired. I’m afraid we might be nearing the end.” He inhaled before sitting back down in the chair behind him, his face in his hands.

“I…I’m not ready.” His voice shook. Faith couldn’t die, she couldn’t leave him alone. Without her love, he was only a man with a degree, nothing more.

Doctor Olmen sighed, “I know son, but it might be time to start making plans. Talk to her mother.”

Dale shook his head, “Her mother’s in a mental health facility.” The doctor knew this already, in fact he knew most things about Faith’s life. In a weird way he was a part of her family.

“Talk to her mother. The woman’s not so far gone to not care about what happens to her daughter.”

Swallowing, he nodded.

“I’ll talk to her.” Despite her arguments he was starting to think he’d have to talk to Beth as well.
♠ ♠ ♠
First off, the chunk of italicized text is from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

Second, sorry for the late and even now, short update. School and writer's block got in the way.