Status: It's Going Well, chapters are making good time =]

On the Brinks

Driving Home

Faith stared out at the passing scenery as Dale drove the truck along the shore. A man she’d met two years ago, who’d been nothing but good to her. When they met, things had been looking up for her. He was a sophomore in the nursing program, while she was looking to start her freshman year. They met in a chemistry class, a requirement for him and simply a class for her. He was a lot like the beach bums she’d grown to love, but different at the same time. Nursing to him, wasn’t just a future career, it was a life.

That’s what she liked about him; he had purpose and a heart for everyone he came across. His long, blonde hair pulled back in a ponytail often through people off at first, but his smile always brought them back.

“Penny for your thoughts.” She blinked and looked away from the window.

“Hmm?” He smiled softly with a hint of sadness.

“You alright?” She nodded.

“Just thinking, Dale.” Grey eyes returned their attention to the road. He worried too much, ever since he found out.

One year earlier…

Faith rested her head on his shoulder as they watched Gone With the Wind, a movie she had to watch for her sociology class. Somehow she’d convinced him to watch it with her. Four hours, in her opinion, was way too long for a movie, even one as good at this. At the moment she was having the hardest time keeping her eyes open as her hand rested on his leg.

“Faith, what’s this?” She blinked awake before looking up at him.

“Hmm?”

“This, on your arm?” She looked at away from him and then to her arm where several bruises had formed. It looked like she’d been beat.

“Uh, nothing. Just being clumsy.”

“Sweetie, you’re not clumsy.” After only a year and he knew her well.

“It’s nothing, forget it and watch the movie.” She looked away from her and to screen. His brow creased with worry.

“Faith, what happened?” She closed her eyes, knowing at some point she’d have to tell him. This time she simply hoped it’d go away. She was done with it, why couldn’t it be done with her?

“Remember the movie, A Walk to Remember?” It was crazy how many movies they watched together, either in his apartment or hers or even just in the movie theater. They were regular movie fanatics, which was why she was referencing one now. Somehow, it made it easier.

“Of course…. why?” It was obvious to her that he was now confused

“Do you remember what was wrong with Jamie?” Her voice became quiet.

“Yeah, but…” His gray eyes widened as realization hit.

“How long, Faith?”

“Since I was ten.” She said quietly. So long she’d been fighting and when she finally thought it was gone and everything was going right, it reared its ugly head and made a showing once again in her life.

“Why…why didn’t you tell me?”

“Because I’m tired, tired of dealing with this, tired of people worrying. I thought that when I came here, it would all be over. I was fine. Dale, I was perfectly healthy.” Tears rolled down her cheeks. She hated this, hated the crying, hated the knowing, hated it all.

That night, he simply held her. She fell asleep in his arms like so many nights before, but this time it was different.

“I love you, Faith.” He whispered shortly after she’d fallen asleep. That night their relationship changed.

Now

“I should probably give her a call.” She said quietly as she pulled out her phone. One person she’d missed this passed semester, was Beth. Beth was her best friend, her unrelated sister, her other half. She also was clueless to it all.

Dale nodded as he focused on the road.

The phone rang twice before she heard the familiar voice of her friend,

“Bethy, guess who’s back in town?” Her voice was strong, just as she wanted it, not ready to let her know something was wrong.