Status: It's Going Well, chapters are making good time =]

On the Brinks

Into Town

Dale listened as she made plans to meet Beth in town. He didn’t think gallivanting around town was the greatest of ideas, but it’s what Faith wanted. There was no arguing with her when she made up her mind.

“Say, if I guide you through the roads, think you can drop me off in town?” Faith asked as she closed her phone. She looked at him with a smile.

“I…yeah, sure.” He would’ve rather taken her back some place she could rest. Her smile softening, she leaned over and kissed his cheek.

“Don’t worry ‘bout me, babe. I know how to take care of myself.” Dale pulled the jeep over to the side of the road and looked at her. Grey eyes met a sea of emeralds as he brought his hand up and lightly brushed her cheek.

“What if…” She shook her head as she placed her hand over his.

“Today’s a good day, I can tell. Nothing’s going to happen.” Cars passed by in a rush. The sound of summer laughter came in through the open window, neither one paid attention though.

“Alright, I’ll take you to town, maybe bum around the bookstore while you girls do your thing.” His smile was strained, but Faith knew to let it be, knowing he was doing what he could.

“Thank you.” This time she kissed him on the lips, a soft, gentle kiss.

“I love you, Dale.” His smile was fuller this time. That kiss and those words were enough to set him at ease, for now.

Pulling away he pulled the vehicle out of park and went back on the road after letting a couple cars pass by. Arguments were few and far between with them and she always knew how to avoid oncoming ones.

Faith pulled down the visor in front of her and opened the little mirror. Humming quietly to the music on the radio, she made sure her wig was just right. The hair was similar to her own hair color, which made her happy. It was a good wig too, as it actually looked real. No one ever guessed that it was fake when they saw her.

“I've been spending all my.. time
Just thinking about ya
I don’t know what to do
I think I’m fallin' for you…” She sang along quietly with the radio as she closed the mirror and leaned back in her seat. Her hand went out the window as it moved with the wind and she closed her eyes.

Dale watched her out of the corner of his eye as he drove. Right now she looked peaceful, content and if he didn’t know better he’d even say healthy. He knew though. When he really looked at her he saw skin too pale, or the circles under her eyes. Already he knew the lies she’d tell Beth, because it’s what she told everyone. She’d tell her friend that she’d been studying too hard and that there was no sun in the studio where she painted. He knew the lie well, he’d heard it enough and every time wished it were the truth.

The jeep pulled up in front of a local coffee shop and Faith sat up in her seat. Reaching into the back, she grabbed her woven bag.

“Go have some fun, maybe flirt a little, you know, the usual.” She grinned as she looked at him.

“You sure you’ll be alright?” His face was serious and she shook her head.

“Dale, please. I’ll be fine.” She leaned over and kissed his cheek before climbing out. Slinging the strap of the bag across her chest, she walked into the coffee shop.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let us know what you think guys. : )

Song she's singing is "Fallin' for You" - Colbie Caillat.