Status: It's Going Well, chapters are making good time =]

On the Brinks

Fountain

Bethany jumped into her stolen car. Her Dad was on vacation with his new girlfriend and she had run over and took his car last week. Faith was going to meet her at their favorite coffee shop: Mugs. She really hated coffee but they had the worlds best hot cocoa and in the summer they sold mouth watering smoothies. She drove down the gravel street, away from her lame apartment. She was practically bouncing up and down in the seat, she couldn't wait to see her friend, fuzzy hair and all.

She was soon in downtown and was hopping out of her father's little car. The sun glared off the glass of the window but she could make out the small figure of a girl, sitting in their favorite table. Beth casually walked into the coffee shop and skipped up to the counter. "I'll have a strawberry cheesecake smoothie please." She threw down a five dollar bill and quickly walked over to her friend.

She plopped down into the seat across from Faith. She looked smaller than before and her hair wasn't as frizzy, somehow it looked worse. "Faith, were you run over on your way here or something?" Bethany smiled at the friend she hadn't seen in months. A little smile formed on Faith's thin, pink lips.

"No, there just isn't any sunlight in my studio." They were interrupted when a short teenage girl set down a creamy smoothie and a steaming mug. Faith quickly wrapped her hands around the hot mug and breathed in deeply. "So... What were you planning today?" She said, her lips looked like ghosts as they moved.

Beth furled her eyebrows before saying, "Well, I had something interesting to do but are you sure your up for hanging out today? Faith, you look really tired." She stared worriedly at the nothing of a girl in front of her. Faith's eyes looked a tad bit blank but she just smiled back at her.

"I'm up for anything, just drink your smoothie." Beth wanted to smile but she had no control over the corners of her lips. She shrugged and looked around the little cafe, taking a sip of her drink. There were business people in suits and ties, drinking warm espressos and scribbling in their day planners. A three tier, ivory wedding cake sat behind the counter, just waiting to be transported to the happy couple. It smelled so good in the restaurant, the scent could practically transport you back to the carefree days of your childhood. The whole place was a confetti of color, it lighted Bethany up and finally a smile toyed with her.

"You just about ready to go?" Faith's quiet voice interrupted her string of thoughts and when she looked down she noticed she had been slurping the last bits of her smoothie up. Beth stood up, the chair underneath her screeched as it moved across the tile floor. Everything seemed so perfect inside the cafe.

Bethany left her car in the parking lot and grabbed her best friend's frail hand. The walked side by side down the side walk, falling into the same step. The two girls chattered about their lives apart and window shopped as they walked down an old-fashioned main street. It was the only street in town that hadn't been completely upgraded and it had fruit stands and little cafes scattered everywhere. The middle of the road was separated by the towns famous walnut trees and nearly every shop had a flower bed in front.

Shopping bags in tow, Bethany and Faith reached the middle of main square. A large, bubbling fountain greeted them. The sun was at it's main peek in the sky and the girls broke into their old smiles. They used to play in the fountain so many years ago, and with out a doubt, Beth was pushed into the shimmering water. Her plaid shirt was soaked and she lost a contact. However, it didn't matter she was soon being jumped on by Faith. The girls squealed like the little girls they used to be. People stared as they walked by and a little boy with a balloon sat on a near by bench to watch the fun.

There was now more water on the sidewalk than in the fountain. Both girls were totally drenched, they laid on the cement bottom and soaked up the sunlight. Bethany jumped when a loud cough came from behind them. "Ladies, please step out of the fountain." The friends turned with wide eyes, a man in a uniform stood behind them. He held a thick ticket book and brushed his mustache. "Did you know that this is considered a public disturbance?" Faith shook her head slightly and shivered as Beth watched the little boys balloon fly away.
♠ ♠ ♠
I thought this was interesting. Leave us a comment!

Xx Suzie Q