Status: one-shot; complete :]

Fireflies

I Hate Goodbyes

Three months into the future…

I feel like crap, Selena wrote to the nurse. A smile then crossed her face as she watched Kevin walk into her hospital room.

“You look like crap,” he joked. She turned the notebook around, and he laughed to himself. “But you’re still beautiful.”

Don’t flatter me, she wrote and then drew a smiley face.

“Sorry,” he sat down next to her and placed a glass jar in front of her. “I got this for you. Hope it’s not too weird or something.”

She stared at the jar full of fireflies flying frivolously around each other.

Fireflies?

“You’re kidding me, right?” he stared at her in amazement. “You don’t remember that one time we went to summer camp and we got in trouble for staying out late. But we got to see like a million fireflies in the woods?”

I remember, she wrote and smiled, but you give me the weirdest gifts, Mr. Jonas.

Kevin noticed her writing was slower than it had been throughout the week. She seemed weaker each day he visited.

Why do you look so sad?

“Why?”

You lost that look in your eyes. They usually glow, but today they are not glowing. You’re sad?

He read her words slowly and seemed to feel sadder than he had felt before. She was right. Watching her grow weaker broke his heart; he loved her too much to watch her fade away.

“Will you do something for me? I know you’re weak, but just this once.”

Her hand glided even slower over the piece of paper, smudging the words slightly as her left hand continued writing.

I guess so. What is it?

“Come catch fireflies with me tonight.”

Her smile cracked her dry lips; she missed catching fireflies with Kevin. She didn’t want the opportunity to pass her by, and she didn’t waste time to call for a nurse.

Can you ask the nurse to bring my doctor?

Kevin nodded his head as the nurse entered the room. He whispered to her to get the doctor, and she left quickly to find her doctor. Within a few minutes, the doctor was in the room.

I want to go outside. Just for tonight.

The doctor didn’t seem to agree with her plans at first, but could see that this may be Selena’s last chance to be outdoors. It saddened him to see the pain in her eyes and to know that there was nothing he could do but let her have her wish.

“It’s okay with me,” the doctor said, “but please be careful.”

“Thank you, doctor. I will, I promise.” The doctor left, leaving Kevin and Selena staring at each other.

The night was closing in as Kevin was assisting the nurses wheeling Selena to his car. She was breathing heavy, holding her oxygen mask tightly to her mouth. They helped her into the front seat and Kevin thanked them as he got into the car and began driving to the soccer field they used to play on every day of the summer when they were younger. He helped her out of the car and carried her to the middle of the field where he laid out a blanket that he asked Selena to carry.

That night, as he brought her back to the hospital, she passed away. The tears silently fell from Kevin’s eyes as her watched her drift from the world, peacefully.

The funeral was held a few days later. He was the last to stand up to give his eulogy. The redness in his eyes mirrored the eyes in the people there.

“I’m never good at speaking in front of people, but I want to do this for my best friend; Selena,” he began, trying his best to hold back his tears. “I’ve been in love with her since the first day I met her when we were nine. She was always kept to herself and avoided everyone. I remember the first summer we went to summer camp together; I was the only one she would hang out with. And I remember getting in trouble for staying out late to catch fireflies. It’s my most cherished memory of us. I told her I would call her firefly because she always lit up my day or night. So, I want to dedicate this song to her.”

You would not believe your eyes
If ten million fireflies
Lit up the world as I fell asleep

'Cause they'd fill the open air
And leave teardrops everywhere
You'd think me rude
But I would just stand and stare

I'd like to make myself believe
That planet Earth turns slowly
It's hard to say that I'd rather stay
Awake when I'm asleep
'Cause everything is never as it seems

'Cause I'd get a thousand hugs
From ten thousand lightning bugs
As they tried to teach me how to dance

A foxtrot above my head
A sock hop beneath my bed
A disco ball is just hanging by a thread

I'd like to make myself believe
That planet Earth turns slowly
It's hard to say that I'd rather stay
Awake when I'm asleep
'Cause everything is never as it seems
When I fall asleep

Leave my door open just a crack
(Please take me away from here)
'Cause I feel like such an insomniac
(Please take me away from here)
Why do I tire of counting sheep
(Please take me away from here)
When I'm far too tired to fall asleep

To ten million fireflies
I'm weird 'cause I hate goodbyes
I got misty eyes as they said farewell

But I'll know where several are
If my dreams get real bizarre
'Cause I saved a few and I keep them in a jar

I'd like to make myself believe
That planet Earth turns slowly
It's hard to say that I'd rather stay
Awake when I'm asleep
'Cause everything is never as it seems
When I fall asleep

I'd like to make myself believe
That planet Earth turns slowly
It's hard to say that I'd rather stay
Awake when I'm asleep
'Cause everything is never as it seems
When I fall asleep

I'd like to make myself believe
That planet earth turns slowly
It's hard to say that I'd rather stay
Awake when I'm asleep
Because my dreams are bursting at the seams


“Every time I see one, I’ll think of her. I hate goodbyes, but goodbye Selena. I love you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I didn't expect this story to have a sad ending when I first started writing it, but I like it. Enjoy :]