Status: in progress

Tough as Nails and an Attitude to Match

chapter 4

Chapter 4

The ride to the beach was quiet as I was travelling with Sam and Emily since no one wanted to be in the same car as me. I didn’t care what they thought, if they hated me or feared me then it means that I was doing my job right. Everyone was having a good time, Jacob and Bella were off sitting in the sand talking while everyone else was playing in the water except Emily who was sitting on a beach towel reading. I was sitting in the sand a few metres away from Emily watching everyone enjoying themselves. Occasionally some of the guys would turn to look at me making me know they were talking about me and Bella would stare at me a few times but I just glared back, Paul glared whenever he met my gaze I just glared and smirked back. Eventually it was lunch time and everyone hovered around Emily stuffing their faces. I remained where I was watching the ocean. It was peaceful until shadows formed around me. Looking up I met the eyes of Jacob, Jared, Embry, Quil, and Paul.
“May I help you?” I asked with a raised eyebrow.
“Sam wants you to socialize” Jared snapped angrily obviously they hated playing messenger boys.
“No thanks” I said turning my gaze away from them.
“If you won’t socialize then why are you even here if you aren’t willing to change your attitude?” Embry asked.
“Whoever said I wanted to be here?” I snapped back not looking at them.
“If you don’t want to be here then why are you?” Paul snapped. Looking at him I stood up so as he wasn’t looking down at me much.
“It was either being here or go to prison and I’m starting to think that maybe prison was the better option” I said dryly.
“Your parents must have really hated you if they were willing to let you go to prison” Quil said.
“You have no idea how much they hated me” I snapped.
“You must have done something to make them hate you” Paul said smugly.
“Doubt it, they hated me from the moment I was born”
“If you hate your parents and your life then why are you still alive?” he asked glaring at me.
“Trust me I have been asking myself that every day. I have been alone my whole life and I will continue being alone until the day I die, so what difference does it make whether I die now or when I’m old. Because either way no one will be there to cry over my death so it really is none of your fucking business when the hell I die or what happens in my life” I said in a cold dry voice before turning my back on them and walking away.
I ended up on the other side of the beach sitting on some rocks as I tossed a few pebbles into the water. I didn’t care if they ended up feeling sorry for me I didn’t care what any of them thought. I have always been alone and I will always stay alone.
About 10 minutes later Bella approached me. Why? I have absolutely no clue. I just stared at her as she hesitantly sat down near me and blushed when she caught me staring.
“Um…Anya? Why are you over here alone?” she asked stuttering a bit.
“What difference does it make? I’m not here to make friends or anything so if I want to be alone I will” I muttered.
“You could at least be nicer to everyone and show compassion to Sam since he has taken you in” she insisted.
“Let me tell you something, when you haven’t been shown compassion by your own family you tend to have little left for anyone else” I explained dryly making her stare wide-eyed at me.
“Your parents must care about you” she said.
“Yeah cared enough about me to ship me off to boarding school at age of 12 then to never see me again” I snapped.
“No parents would ever do that to a child” she insisted. I turned my glare to her as I spoke in a cold dry voice.
“You have two parents right?” I asked.
“Yeah but they are divorced”
“They love you and will do whatever it takes to make you happy correct?”
“Yes”
“You get whatever you want along with people who care about you. That is your little perfect life. You have no idea what life is like for those of us without loving families. My parents hated me ever since I was born, the first chance they got they shipped me off to school and never saw me again. I was stuck in boarding school since 12, then off to detention centre at 16 and have been there ever since. You have no idea what life is like for me, so don’t you dare come and tell me that I should show compassion and be nice to others when I haven’t been given the same respect! The day that I don’t have to prove myself to anyone and have actually been shown some compassion then come and talk to me about your pathetic perfect life” I finished in a dead tone. Bella stared at me wide-eyed as tears started to form in her eyes but serves her right for trying to bring her perfect life into my hell one. I turned my back on her and after a few seconds Bella finally left me alone.
Eventually it was time to go home and when I saw that Bella still looked hurt with tears brimming in her eyes I just shook my head at how pathetic she is for not being able to handle the truth. The car ride back home was quiet along with dinner; basically it was all pretty boring. That was until Jacob got a call on his cell which got everyone’s attention.
“What do you mean what did I do to Bella?” he shouted into the phone.
“What do you mean she came home crying?” he shouted again more anxious this time.
“I didn’t do anything leech” he growled. ‘Leech?’
“Anya? What does Anya have to do with anything?” he asked a little more calm this time. I had a feeling this was about to get interesting.
“She is a delinquent that Sam is taking care of to try and change her attitude. Why?” he asked as he turned to me.
“Anya made Bella cry?” he shouted as he became pissed. “Don’t worry she will apologies” Jacob said before he hung up the phone and stared at me with a glare.
“What was that about Jacob?” Sam asked.
“Apparently Bella came home to Edward crying over something Anya said and he wants her to go over there now and apologies to her” Jacob said not taking his eyes off of me.
“Fine, Anya you are to go with Jacob and apologies to Bella” Sam scolded me.
“What? Hell no, I’m not apologising to her when I didn’t do anything wrong” I snapped.
“Well apparently you did otherwise she wouldn’t have been crying” Jacob snapped back.
“Look all I said was I was not shown any compassion from my god damn family so why the hell should I show compassion to others? If she can’t handle anything I say then it is not my problem” I said angrily glaring at him.
“If you are going to stay here then you need to become a better person and cut the attitude crap” Sam snapped back becoming pissed. Everyone else in the room was quiet as the argument became between me and him.
“I didn’t have any other choice but to come here and if I had a better choice I wouldn’t have even met you” I snapped back.
“Well you are here and under my care. Now you are going with Jacob to apologies whether you like it or not. Go up to your room and think about how you are going to apologies because you are leaving in an hour” Sam said firmly while pointing up the stairs. I glared my hatred at him before storming up stairs if he thinks I am going to apologies then he has another thing coming. I got to the top of the stairs and hid behind the wall as I eavesdropped on the conversation down bellow.
“I don’t know if taking Anya under my care was such a good idea” Sam complained with a sigh.
“Honey, she has nowhere else to go” Emily said.
“I know she won’t apologies tonight but if she hasn’t apologised by tomorrow afternoon then I will be sending her back. I didn’t think she would be this bad, but I have to admit that her attitude and defiance is too much of a problem to fix. I hate to say it but she is a lost cause as I don’t think she can be helped” Sam explained.
“But what about Paul and him imprinting?” Emily asked.
“He is going to hate me but I have to do what I think is right for all of us” Sam ended.
I was furious, yeah Sam had to do what was right for all of them, but nobody ever cared about what was right for me. I didn’t care anymore; I have literally had it with this place and the lot of them. Going to my room I packed what little stuff I had into my bag and went for the window. I had a tree outside my window so climbing out carefully I grabbed hold of the tree and climbed down. As I got to the end of the driveway I took one last look at the place glaring my hatred at it and then I ran. I didn’t know exactly where I was going but all I knew was that I couldn’t live there anymore, I have only been there a day and already I was fed up. I had no money and no idea where to go but anywhere was better than here.

End chpt 4