Status: For a Contest

Supposedly

2 of 3

My feet dig into the sand deeper. It feels both warm and damp. The humidity lingering in the air feels heavy, but the wind coming from the strong crash of the waves more than enough compensates for it. Each time the waves envelope down to the shoreline, I feel cooled down enough on periodic intervals. I take a deep breath. Summer still has its ways to go, but by now, I’m already feeling that it’s about to end. Slowly, the stars twinkle around the sky. It looks so beautiful.

Just like that same day.

It takes me awhile before I take out Kacey’s letter from inside my backpack, still contained in its envelope. Each time I would read her letter, I’d always put it back inside to preserve its contents. Somehow, it feels like I’m keeping her a promise. Something that would last a lifetime, sort-of what I’m expecting with this letter. I want to keep her for eternity as long as my head and all its contents are kept in tact.

I want her to last forever.

The edges of Kacey’s letter are already torn from the countless times I’ve brought it here at the beach. I sit at the same place and go at the same time each and every single day just so that I can believe that I’m reliving the exact moment. There are times when I feel that time has turned back. Like I can feel Kacey’s presence right at that very second. I can hear her footsteps as she approaches me, see the same groups of stars and breathe the very same air. Everything seems as though it was that very day. The only difference is that Kacey is gone.

And she will never come back.

Along with the letter, I take out my sketchpad and grab a charcoal pencil which was the only writing material I ever brought along with me anywhere. I write my letter and just let it do all the talking.

I pray that it won't smudge.

Hey Kace,

The boy that you’re talking about is a humiliation to human life. He doesn’t deserve your love, because, he, himself, can’t even love his own. He cannot appreciate what he has. He loves but cannot be loved. Even the colors from inside the tubes cannot bear with him. The brushes and pens have betrayed him. All he does is mope around and loom in silence. That’s why he is being punished. His parents have forgotten their love for him. They cannot even bare to say, “Goodnight,” or even a simple greeting anymore. All they do is give him passing glances when they meet at the halls of their own abode. The boy is not great. He has become better only because of a beautiful girl.

Please listen to the other side of the story, because you, of all people, deserve to know the reason.

During the night that they first met, the boy thought of suicide. He was planning to die. His father had pushed his mother down the stairs. His mother was at the ICU. His mother’s side were all enraged, not only with the father, but with the boy as well. “Why couldn’t you protect your OWN mother?” was all they asked. But that wasn’t all. He was failing his studies. He cannot study anything without feeling sick and nauseated. All he wanted to do was to sketch everything beautiful. He doesn’t want to live in conformity. He wanted to be his own person.
So he pushed the door from the hospital’s ICU room and went to the beach. The boy was planning to drown himself. He had brought everything he needed for the afterlife. He has his sketchpad, paints and pencils at the inside of his backpack. He clutched the straps with such intensity that if he were clutching a living thing, it would be dead at that very moment. But then, he saw her.

And everything changed right then.

When he met the girl, the boy’s nights ceased to be lonely. The moon has returned back to the darkness. She has given hope to him. That’s why he fell in love immediately. He thought that he can be happy again. He has a heart for only one thing and that is, is you, Kacey. The stars are always shining. Don’t you look outside your window at night and feel the cold air rushing at you? The wind’s blowing for you just as it does for me. Try it. Maybe it will pull the two of us back together. You remind me of the sea. You’re always there.

The last day I saw you, I couldn’t contain my loneliness. I couldn’t say a thing without fearing what words would come after the next. I was a coward, I am a coward. I’ve already learned from my mistakes. I can’t stay lonely anymore. I miss you even more each day.

Don’t say anything more.

P.S: We will see each other soon.

Lucas


Somehow when I looked up, the sun was already present. The sand isn’t damp anymore. It feels painfully hot. It burns into my skin. My right hand holds tightly onto Kacey’s letter, the other to my own. I was laying down on the sand. I must’ve fallen asleep. I swing on my backpack before standing-up. The post offices open early in California.
♠ ♠ ♠
;)
Comment?