Fallen

Come Back Down, Save Yourself

Having a girl meet the future parents of her baby while said girl was in prision was actually less complicated than one would think. It was not, however, less awkward. Jezzie sat in a jumpsuit that was trying to steal color from her already pale skin and was pressed outward by the bulge that was developing in her stomach. Henry sat on the other side of the table with the two people that he had brought with him. They looked nervous, but they at least had the common curtesy to try to hide that fact from Jezzie. He appreciated it more than they realized.

"Jezzie, I'd like you to meet Jeremy and Tawny Carideen. They want to adopt your baby."

The teenage girl bit her lower lip hard as her hands drifted down to her stomach. It was killing Henry. He just wanted to stand up and walk over and take her into his arms. He wanted to give her the comfort of a human touch that wasn't vicious or lustful or even disdainful. He knew that he couldn't do that though. Especially not him of all people. He had to keep his distance for her own sake...for both their sakes.

"It's very nice to meet you Jezzie," Tawny spoke up first leaning forward and attempting a disarming smile. "Henry's told us so much about you. How intelligent and caring and resilient you are."

A blush fought to be seen on Jezzie's cheeks as she bowed her head and allowed her hair to sweep forward and cover those rebellious patches of skin. "Henry's exaggerating. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't a dumb ass."

Jeremy shook his head. "Doing stupid things doesn't make you a dumb ass. Doing stupid things and not realizing you've done them is stupid." Henry could have kissed the man at that moment. It had been what he had been trying to get Jezzie to see for months now, not that she actually listened to him. It was doubtful that she would listen to Jeremy either, but a man could hope.

"Yeah well," Jezzie snorted, "to each their own in this case I think. Besides, what does it matter what I think about myself? You guys want my baby, not me."

Tawny's face turned sad and she shook her head. "It's more than that Jezzie," she insisted. Henry could see the longing in the woman's eyes to simply reach out to touch Jezzie's hand. Everyone knew that the teenager would only pull back though. "We want you to have the chance to be a part of the baby's life."

Tension rose in the room, not hard, but leaden. Three hearts were going out to Jezzie and she rejected them all. Henry knew he was getting too emotionally attached, but if he left Jezzie now, not only would she ever forgive him, but everything that he had done for her would fall apart. Travis would win.

"Look," Jezzie said with a sigh. "I know that you guys mean well, but this baby will be better off without me. I already screwed up my life enough and I ain't draggin' my baby down with me."

Tawny and Jeremy exchanged a look before they both returned their understanding gazes to Jezzie, something she seemed to flinch away from. "Alright than," Tawny said. "If that's what you feel is necessary than, God be with you Jezzie. We promise we'll take good care of him or her."

Henry looked over and saw a flash of something in Jezzie's eyes. That care that they promised was exactly what Jezzie wanted for her baby, even if she refused to allow it to be given to herself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that this chapter is so long overdue! If everything goes as planned there will only be 10 more chapters.