Status: Completed! Whoo!

Slave: The Fight to Save a Species

Slave: The Fight to Save a Species 11

It’s been two months since the fight, two months since Adrian saw her last.

Two long, lonely months.

Adrian sighed, looking down at the little female wolf in his lap.

Since coming home, things have changed.

The wolf pack had made Adrian their alpha and now they roam the Lord’s property, protecting them in the night.

Rising to his feet, Adrian said his farewells to the wolves and made his way into the house.

Today is his birthday and his father was throwing him a party.

Adrian didn’t feel like partying.

Moving through the house he heard his father call from his office.

“There you are, how are the wolves?” Landers asked as his son sat across from him.

“Energetic as always.” Adrian replied softly

Landers nodded his head, “And are you ready for your party?”

Adrian couldn’t bring himself to speak, so he nodded his head.

“Good, well you should go get ready, Oh, and Adrian?” Landers called out

Adrian stopped at the door to look back at his father.

“I hope you like your present.”

Adrian left the room.

~*~

Adrian walked around the room, a glass of sparkling cider in his hand.

He didn’t want to get wasted; it only brought back the pain.

Mingling with the other party guests, smiling when someone said happy birthday, Adrian tried to keep his mask in place.

This was supposed to be the day he celebrated his life, but he could only think of death.

Mentally shaking his head, Adrian turned to the buffet table, only to have a scent catch his nose.

There, at the entrance to the ball room, standing in a red strapless dress with gold detail, was his reason to live.

Carmella

Her beautiful long hair cascaded in curls down her back as she gazed around the room.

~*~

I don’t believe I’ve ever been so nervous in my life.

I was about to step out of the horrible pink room, I can’t believe how much I missed it, and into the party.

I will always be indebted to my little female wolf and Mrs. Habberknack.

It was the little wolf who lead the healer to me, knowing where I was even when no one else did.

They took me to a little hut, secluded in the mountains, and tried to fix me.

But they were too late, and I closed my eyes in that little hut, shuddering on my last breath.

The memory of that night brought a small smile to my face, even as I shivered.

~*~

The room was neither dark nor light, neither cold nor hot. I didn’t feel fear, I didn’t feel anything.

Then someone appeared in front of me.

She was beautiful, with long white hair floating around her.

“Hello Carmella.”

Her voice was comfort wrapping around me.

“I’m so glad to meet you. Watching you with my son, love in both of your eyes, makes me happier then I’ve been in a long time.”

Cerise? This is Adrian’s mom?

“You don’t hate me?” I asked

She frowned, but the laughed when she understood what I was asking.

“You were not the one who murdered me, Andrew was. None of it was your fault.”

“But if I had killed him like I was supposed to all those years ago, you would still be with your family.” I argued

She smiled gently, ” I cannot help but to think that if I wasn’t attacked, that if you had been the one to deliver that final blow to Andrew, you and my son would never have met.”

“But, they’re your family; wouldn’t you rather be with them?”

She sigh patiently, laying a hand against my cheek, “ I love them, and always will, but it’s a mother’s love that allows me to wish for the best for my children. I want their happiness above my own.”

Seeing my confusion she continued.

“One day you will understand. Though I miss Landers, I can still watch over him and know that someday we will be together again, and that is enough for now. My children’s future and happiness is my goal. He needs you now more then ever.”

Silent tears fell down her cheeks, “My poor, strong leopard. He is lost, wondering around with hopelessness in his eyes.”

A door appeared behind her.

”You have a choice to make, my dear. Behind that door is your mother, but if you go through it, you will forever be in this realm.”

I looked at the door with longing.

“But, if you choose to stay on Quasar, with my son, you will not be able to see your mother.”

She waited, watching my expression as I took in what she said.

“Make your choice, and make sure it is what you want, for you will not get a chance to change it.”

~*~

Smiling I place my hand on the ballroom door.

I love my mother, but I’ve accepted that she’s gone, and I know one thing:

Adrian is all I’ve ever wanted. He is my life.

Taking a deep breath, I smoothed out the dress that Mrs. Habberknack and Landers bought for me. It took me a month and two weeks to heal from my death, and now I’m here to find the man I love.

Adrian.

Pushing the door open I step into the room. There are so many people here, that it took me a few minutes to find him, but when I did our eyes clashed.

He looked so tired, with dark shadows under his eyes, but as I walk toward him, his eyes begin to light up.

Both of us moving fast I throw my arms around him, attaching our lips together, not caring who watched.

Laughing as he let out a leopard purr, I hold him closer, knowing that this is the only place I want to be.

Alone, the fight to save any species, not just the wolves, would have been hard, but together I know we can do it.

Together, Adrian and I can change the world.

"Happy Birthday, my son."
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the final chapter *sniff sniff* I hope you enjoyed it, and let me know if you want a sequel (like who it focuses on) or not!
<3 Amanda