Status: Writing in progress.

Save Me

Sometimes Life Is Altered.

I stared blankly at the lampost infront of me and eyed the tall metal structure as if it was something I had never seen before. I gawped as I read the tiny lettering on a sheet of paper which was selotaped to the post. Social services had started putting up missing posters for me. I knew this was something I absolutely wanted to avoid happening so I tore down the poster before I could read any further. I cradled the crumpled pieces in my hand before allowing the gentle breeze to scatter them in various places. I began to wonder just how many more posters there would have been put up across town. I had to dispose of them before anyone had taken into account who I was and what I looked like.

I searched frantically over town, tearing down the posters as I came to them. I ensured that my hood was hiding my face well so nobody could see my identity. I must have been disposing of them by the hundred, and I was lucky that this was the case. After scanning my surroundings to determine whether I had missed any posters, I kicked off my shoes and took a long walk along the beach to the spot which I had sat the previous afternoon.

I'd given up on thinking, I'd given up on crying too. I had no hope, not now that the posters had been published. I clearly didn't have much time left before somebody would inform social services about my where abouts; my days of being a free human being, were numbered. Soon I would be imprisoned in some demoralising care home full of disgusting little kids.

I scraped the sand away with frustration, chucking pebbles into the settling sea. The beach was virtually abandoned, apart from the odd voices here and there. I heard familiar male voices off in the far distance behind me and turned to see who it was. Zacky, the guy who had kindly introduced himself to me last night, was sat on the yellow sands a far distance from me. He appeared to be with a very muscular guy. I assumed it was one of the people he was with the previous night. He looked roughly the same age as Zacky, though he had black spiked hair and his arms were covered in monster tattoos. His chest was bare but he appeared to have a tattoo on his back with the wording 'Haner', somewhat like that of a footbal jersey.

I turned back around to face the glistening waters and listened to the breaking of each wave as it collapsed onto the soft shore. I didn't want to make myself noticeable, although I was deeply glad to see Zacky again. He probably wouldn't even remember me though, that would be just my luck. Though there was a hope in the back of my mind that he would notice me, and hopefully come and speak to me, remembering who I was.

It would be nice to have someone there for me, for once. The voices behind me suddenly happened to stop and I could hear nothing but that of the cresting waves. I picked up another pebble and tossed it into the water. I jumped as I heard the calling of my name, getting louder and louder. The sounds of the shifting sand approached my behind. I shifted my head round to see Zacky slide and crash down beside me with his friend next to him looking a little uncertain.

"Hey Roxanne!" He smiled sweetly.

I smiled at the pleasant suprise that he had remembered my name and replied with a simple, "Hey, call me Roxy".

"Okay, nice. I wasn't sure if it was you, so me and my friend Brian here thought we would come and check just incase" He said, panting from being out of breath.

His friend 'Brian' as I believe him to be called put his hand up a short distance and waved, while breaking into a smile.

I returned the small smile and waved back.

"Well you were right, you found me." I let out a light laugh for the first time in what seemed an eternity.

He laughed at my reply before looking at Brian and then back to me.

"So what are you doing here on your own at this time?" He questioned. I shifted unsteadily at his awkward question.

"Oh, y'know. Just reflecting on some stuff that's happened recently. Nothing much." I replied, my head now hanging low.

"I understand. You know, if you need to talk to someone, you can always tell myself and Brian what's up. I know maybe you're not so certain because we've met only recently, but sometimes talking to a stranger is so much easier than someone you've known forever." He said gently.

I shifted, uneasy and unable to conclude a decision. I could feel something urging me to confide in this guy and his friend. They seemed secure and gentle. Strangely enough, they seemed... trustworthy.

"Well, to cut a long story short - I lost my mom to breast cancer when I was 8 and ever since, my dad.. well" I let a few tears stream down my face.

I hung my head in shame and began to sob harder. The look on Zacky's face told me that I didn't have to explain any further - he understood.

Zacky wiped my tears away with the sleeve of his jacket and rubbed my back to comfort me.
It took him a while to reply and needless to say, my life story had been a shock to Brian's system too.

"Only three days ago, a neighbor had called the police after reports had got around that he had been abusing me. I've been on the streets ever since, I don't want to end up in care. But now I have nowhere to sleep at night. That tree you saw me under in Central park is where I've been sleeping. I haven't eaten for days and everything is getting too much to put up with." I finished, now sobbing so hard that a lump in my throat restricted me from speaking.

Zacky engulfed me in a hug and assured me everything was going to be okay. I knew for as long as I was on the streets though, nothing would be ok. It was as if God hated me.

Brian apologised for what had happened to me in the past even though none of it was his fault. This was another sign for me to go by that I could get a sense of security around these guys. He offered for me to go back with Zacky and himself to get something to eat and drink. Needless to say, regardless of my lack of trust, I had prayed to God that maybe just tonight, I would have somewhere safe to stay.

I accepted their offer, disregarding the consequences I could be facing for taking such a risk. I walked up towards the pier with Zacky and Brian either side of me. Though I thought all my trust had been destroyed, there seemed to be just a fraction of a percentage of trust still in my heart; trust for Zacky, and his friend Brian.
♠ ♠ ♠
As always, I hope you're enjoying this story. More updates to follow!