‹ Prequel: Green Porcupine
Sequel: Meant to be

So Close Yet So Far

So close yet so far

"Awe, but dad, I was going to go out with my friends tonight." Joey whines.
"Cancel it." Billie Joe says, shrugging.
"Honestly, why do I have to be there? I mean it's just another stupid barbecue." Joey complains.
"It's the going away barbecue." Adie says, joining the conversation.
"But I'm going on tour with you guys, why do I have to be there?" Joey outbursts.
"Joseph you're going and that's final." Billie Joe says putting on his shoes.
"It won't be so bad Joey, Ramona will be there." Jakob teases.
"Not that again. That was a stupid crush FIVE years ago!" Joey says rolling his eyes.
"Oh but you two were so cute." Adie says only encouraging Jakob.
"Jeez mom, it's over! I've had girlfriends since then!"
"Yeah, like two." Billie Joe mutters.
"More like one, you only went out with that second girl for like a week." Jakob says smugly.
"Any chance at all I can skip the barbecue?" Joey pleads to his mother.
"Well what time were you planning on going out with your friends?" Adie asks, trying to keep the peace.
"Well we were going to go for pizza at seven, then see a movie at eight."
"Well you can forget about pizza, but I guess you can go to the movie." Adie says looking at Billie Joe.
"Yeah I guess." Billie says putting on his jacket and heading out the door.
"Thanks." Joey mutters.

*Meanwhile*
"Hey Dad." Ramona says walking up to Tre at Oakland airport.
"Hey kid." He says hugging his daughter.
"So is there going to be a barbecue thingy tonight or what?" she asks as they walk out to the car.
"Yeah." Tre says hoping into the car. "So your mom told me about the trouble you got into at school."
"It was nothing." Ramona says shrugging off the statement.
"You don't get suspended for nothing." Tre says laughing.
"I mooned the security camera." Ramona mutters as Tre bursts out laughing.
"I'm sorry but that's too funny." Tre says shaking his head. "Why'd you do it?"
"Seemed like a good idea at the time." Ramona says shrugging. "But then I got in shit with both mom and the principal."
"Yeah well, that was very unladylike." Tre says trying to act serious, but fails as he wails out with laughter again.

"Mike's here." Ramona calls out to Tre as a car pulls into the driveway. Mike, Cassie, Estelle and Travis step out of the car and make there way to the backyard. Jill and James's car pulls up next to Mike's and they walk out to the backyard as well.
"Hey Ramona." Mike says giving her a hug. "You coming on tour with us?"
"Yeah." She says happily as Jill, James and Molly walk up to her.
"Hey Ramona, is Bianca here?" Jill asks after a formal greeting.
"Yeah she's inside." Ramona says shrugging.

Ramona looks back out at the street once everyone has settled down with a drink in their hand. She sees the final car pull up. Billie Joe and Adie step out followed by Jakob and Joey. "Holy crap, puberty hit Joey like a ton of bricks!" Ramona thinks to herself, "I mean, nice."

Joey steps out of the car still slightly upset and looks in Ramona's direction.
"There's your girlfriend." Jakob teases.
"Shut-up twerp." Joy mutters as he looks over at Ramona. "Okay. she's gotten HOT over the last year." He thinks to himself.
"Oh hi Ramona." Adie says in a friendly voice.
"Hi Adie, Billie." Ramona says politely, "Hey guys."
"Oh umm, hi Ramona." Joey manages to stutter.
"Ramona! Something awesome happened to me I want to tell you!" Estelle calls out.

"Okay this guy in my group of friends, a real hottie asked me out yesterday."
"Lucky you." Ramona says, distracted.
"I mean, usually people in my group of friends don't go out together but . . . . I'm like totally psyched!" Stella continues to ramble.
"Listen Stella, I'm going to get something to drink." Ramona says, walking away.

"Let's eat!" Tre announces proudly as he shuts the barbecue. Everyone sit down at the outdoor tables. Joey sits down next to Ramona.
"I'm going to the movies with some friends later, do you want to come?" Joey asks in a low voice.
"Yeah, beats staying here all night." Ramona says rolling her eyes as she looks over at Travis and Josh who are more amused by making farting noises with their armpits.

"Hey Dad, can you drive me to the movies now?" Joey asks after everyone's stuffed their faces.
"Uh yeah I guess." Billie says grabbing his car keys off the table.
"Ramona's coming too." Joey says awkwardly.
"Oh." Billie Joe comments, raising his eyebrows. "So are you two?"
"No, just friends." Joey says rolling his eyes.
"You sure or would you like me to buy you a box of condoms?" Billie jokes.
"Dad, how about we don't have this conversation?" Joey suggests, "Especially since Ramona and I are and always will be platonic."
"Fine, fine."

The three of them pile into the car and head off to the cinema.
"There's my friends." Joey points out to a group of teenagers outside the theatre.
"Hey Joey!" one of them call out.
"Hey guys, this is Ramona. Ramona this is Tom, Amber, Mel, Robert and Sid." Joey says pointing everyone out.
"Dude, she your girlfriend, or can I hit on her?" Sid asks pervertedly.
"No, feel free to hit on her." Joey says shrugging.
"I can bench press seventy-five pounds." Sid says nudging Ramona.
"Wow, you can actually count that high?" Ramona says rolling her eyes.
"Oh a mouthy one, I can get used to this." Sid says putting his arm on her shoulders.
"Dude, she's not interested." Mel says, shoving him off Ramona.