‹ Prequel: Green Porcupine
Sequel: Meant to be

So Close Yet So Far

So close yet so far

Ramona gets home from school to house filled with the smell of all sorts of delicious food. Tonight is the 'fake Christmas dinner' before she gone back to New York. She goes into the kitchen to find her father with his nose and forehead against Bianca's.
"I like you in those shorts." He mumbles to his wife, referring to the faded pair of black skater shorts she's wearing.
"Oh jeez." Ramona mutters as she turns to leave the kitchen.
"What? We weren't doing anything!" Tre calls out.
"You were all lovey-dovey like!" she yells back.
"That's not a crime you know!" Bianca yells.

Supper is served later in the evening, roast chicken (Turkey is too big), mash potatoes and so much more typical Christmas food. After dinner Ramona heads up to her room to get everyone's gifts.
"What d'you get me? What d'you get me?!" Josh pesters as he follows his sister up the stairs.
"Broccoli!"
"No you didn't because broccoli will go rotten."
"Then I guess I got you rotten broccoli."
"Is it purple?"
"No." Ramona says laughing as she grabs the gift boxes out of her closet.
"Can I open it now?"
"Can't you at least wait till we get downstairs?"
"Awe okay." He says as he follows her back to the dining room.

Ramona hands everyone their gifts and she receives her own.
"OH I love these! I'll look so pretty when I golf!" Her father says excitedly. "They're just like the ones I used to have, but Mike set them on fire."
"Why?" Josh asks after looking rather pleased with his own gift.
"I'm not really sure." Tre says thinking to himself, "I think I should ask him."

"So did you pack everything for tomorrow?" Bianca asks while they clear the table.
"Yeah, I finished this afternoon."
"Alright remember we have to leave the house by eleven, so no over sleeping or taking you sweet ass time." Tre adds in, "I'm sure the other passengers on the plane won't mind if your hair isn't perfectly straight." Ramona shoots him an angry look.
"I don't spend eternity on my hair, heck I think you spend more time on your hair."
"Well umm I have a lot of time on my hands." Tre says sheepishly.
"Don't worry, I'll be ready on time and my hair will be perty." Ramona says as she heads out of the kitchen.

The next morning she wakes up bright and early so she can go see Joey before she leaves. After showering and getting dressed she scuttles downstairs towards the doors.
"Where are you going?" Frankito asks as he appears like what seemed out of nowhere with a pop tart in his hand.
"Joey's, I'll be back later." She says as she slings her bag over her shoulder.
"Right-o, don't do the dirty."
"Yeah whatever." she mumbles as I head out the door. She walks the couple of streets to the Armstrong home. She rings the doorbell and Billie Joe answers the door in his boxers.

"Jesus Mona, isn't kind of early?" he asks rubbing his eyes as he lets her in regardless.
"Joey's still is sleeping?"
"I really don't know, I'm going back to sleep so you can wonder around and find him yourself." He says as he heads up to his room. After looking in the living room and kitchen she heads up to Joey's room.

She places her bag on the floor, slips into bed with him and starts kissing his neck.
"Oh hello." He says smirking, "You're my favourite wake up call."
"I brought you something."
"And what would that be?" he asks as he rests his weight on his elbow.
"Your Christmas present." She reaches into her bag and pulls out the gift box.
"I was going to give you yours when you got back." He says as he opens the drawer on his nightstand. "So it's not wrapped."
"Okay." She says as she watches him intently as he pulls out a white box. Ramona carefully opens the box to find it's a silver necklace with a heart locket on it. "Joey, this is awesome, I love it!" she wraps her arms around his neck. He let's go of her, takes the necklace and attaches it around her neck. She places her hand over her new locket as Joey opens his gift.
"I love it Ramona." He says as he kisses her lips gently. "How'd you know I have a thing for evil duckys with razor sharp teeth." She bursts out laughing.
"Uhh, I have to leave now." She says as she nuzzles his neck.
"Damn." He says as moves to kiss her lips passionately.
"I'll see you in a couple of weeks." She says kissing him one last time before she heads out of his room and back home.

"I'm going to miss ya kid-o." Tre says as he hugs his daughter at the airport.
"Yeah, you always do." Ramona says teasingly.
"Stop being such a smart ass."
"I will when you will." She says as she picks her bag off the ground.
"See you in January." He says as he ruffles up her hair. She walks to the gate and disappears from her father's view.