‹ Prequel: Green Porcupine
Sequel: Meant to be

So Close Yet So Far

So Close Yet So Far

Ramona wakes up to a start by the sound of her bedroom being opened and closed.
"Go away." She mutters as she pulls her pillow over her head, "Or I'll call Dad."
"Who's Dad? Yours or mine?" she lifts the pillow off of her head to see Joey standing there.
"Sorry I thought you were Josh." She whispers as she makes space for her boyfriend on her bed. "Nice to see you." he slides into bed with her.
"Happy Birthday."
"Damn, that's today."
"Afraid so."
"Mmmm."
"Here I got you a present." He says handing her a lumpy package. She opens it to find a Ramones shirt and tickets to a Ramones cover band show.
"Okay, now I'm happy it's my birthday." She says snaking her arms around him.

"Joseph Marciano Armstrong! Come out where I can see you!" Tre yells.
"Oh fuck." Joey mutters as he hurries out of Ramona's room. She merely giggles as she gets out of bed and gets dressed. She gets downstairs to see Tre and Joey sitting across from each other in the dining room.

"Dad, be nice." She says laughing.
"I'm always nice." Joey let's out a snort of laughter.
"Tre, leave them alone." Bianca says as she walks into the dining room.
"Bianca, get out my shot gun I wanna teach this boy a lesson for tryin' to dirty up my daughter!" Tre says in a hick accent.
"But I wasn't." Joey says hopelessly.
"Sure you were, I was sixteen-fifteen once too."
"So what are you saying?" Ramona asks quizzically.
"I didn't say anything." He says leaving the dining room to go to the kitchen.
"So do you want anything special for breakfast?" Bianca asks as she heads into the kitchen.
"Nah, I'll just make myself some pop tarts." She says as she and Joey head into the kitchen as well.

"So what do you have planned for today?" Bianca asks as she makes Josh some toast.
"Well Joey is taking me to a Ramones cover band concert tonight."
"You can't go." Tre states as he pours himself a cup of coffee.
"Uhuh, sure." Ramona snickers as she hands her boyfriend a pack of pop tarts, and takes one for herself.
"Nope concerts are dangerous places, with sex in bathroom stalls." Joey snorts and nearly chokes on his pop tart. "Aha! So I unraveled your plan!"
"Don't worry you two, you can go."
"Hey, I won't stand for that!" Tre exclaims.
"Then you can sit." Bianca taunts, "Don't you two have a bus to catch?"
"Umm yeah." Joey says looking at his watch.
"See you later." Ramona says as they head out of the kitchen.
"Are you coming home after school or what?"
"Umm no!" Ramona calls out as she grabs her school bag.

The two of them head out the door to the bus stop.
"Let's play hooky!" Joey exclaims as they near the bus stop.
"Umm no."
"Why not?"
"Because the principal will call out parents!" she hisses.
"Oh yeah."
"And my dad is already on our case about being together all the time."
"Say no more." Joey says as he puts his arm around her waist. The bus ride to school is full of sweet innocent kisses, but when they get to school they part ways to go to class.

Ramona gets to math class and takes her seat next to Mel.
"New band tee?" she says looking at her shirt.
"Yup, Joey gave it to me as a birthday gift and he's taking me to the cover band show tonight."
"Suh-weet!" she says laughing, "Happy birthday by the way."
"Thanks."
"Ramones? Who are they?" Jessica asks dumbly, "Are they one of those emo bands?" Mel can't help but burst out laughing.
"They were the essence of the 70s punk music." Mel retorts.
"Ew, geezer band." She states plainly, "They can't be that good."
"Excuse me, but I was named after the Ramones, more precisely one of their songs." Ramona says angrily.
"I'm so sorry."
"Go fuck yourself." Ramona says simply as she sits back down. She can hear Jessica whispering away to one of her Barbie friends. She picks up her name and the words "messed up."

"Just ignore them." Mel mumbles as they start their class work, "Last thing you want is suspension for beating the shit out of half the pep squad."
"I think it would be worth it."
"Still, then I'll have to put up with them alone for a whole week."
"Then help me beat 'em up." She chuckles.
"Wish I could, but I suck at combat."
"Right." Ramona mumbles as she punches a few numbers onto her calculator. "For you, I'll control myself." The girls smirk.

"Excuse me Jessica." Mel says turning around casually, "I couldn't help but realize earlier that your hair was uneven."
"Uneven, what do you mean?" she asks running her hand through her hair nervously.
"Well my little sister once came home with her hair uneven because a boy on her bus chopped off a chunk of her hair."
"Oh my god! I knew I felt something touching my hair on the bus." She squeals in fear as she turns to her fellow Barbie, "Quick Mandy, do you have a hair elastic." Ramona and Mel start trying to conceal their laughter.
"Oh wait, I have on in my purse." Mandy says digging through such purse, "But you look so pasty with your hair up."
"Oh I know." Jessica whines.

"Nice." Ramona laughs.
"Yeah." Mel says adoringly, "How long do you think it'll take her to realize it's all there."
"Hmm, I say at lunch when her and the Barbie crew go to check out the damage."

"I have soccer." Joey states as he and Ramona leave their final class which happened to be drama, "But, I can pull some strings and skip."
"Nah, I like watching you play." She says raising her eyebrows pervertedly.
"What's that supposed to mean?" she just laughs.
"Hmm, I think I'll go to practice then." They go up to his locker and he pulls out his soccer bag and Ramona grabs his hoody. "Borrowing without permission?"
"I didn't bring a sweater." She says as she slips it over her head. "And it smells good."
"Well, I'll see you later." He says giving her a quick kiss on the lips and heads to the locker room.

Ramona meets up with Mel and Emma in the halls and the three girls head to the bleachers to watch the practice.
"So Joey's taking you to the Ramones cover show tonight?" Emma asks as the guys run laps around the field.
"Yeah, I'm kinda giddy."
"Giddy?" Mel snorts. "Since when is Ramona Wright giddy?"
"Shut-up." She says rolling her eyes.

"Have you and Joey, well gone all the way?" Mel asks quietly a few minutes later.
"No, why?"
"I don't know, Tom and I were talking about well going for it and-"
"Don't do anything you're not sure about." Emma states clearly, which sort of came as a shock because usually she's full of perverted comments. Emma realizes her friends are staring at her in awe, "Listen, my older sister did it and she wasn't ready, she ended up hating her boyfriend for it. She got really depressed and didn't date again till she started college."
"Wow." Ramona says in slight shock. "I couldn't see myself hating Joey, but then again he isn't trying to rush me into anything."
"Yeah, same with Sid." Emma says casually. "Then again, you've know Tom longer than you've been dating."
"I don't know." Mel mumbles, "He says he doesn't want to rush me, but ever since he brought it up, I don't know."
"Listen, Sid and I are the biggest perv around, tying maybe with Ramona and Joey."
"Thank you." Ramona says proudly.
"And we still haven't done it. Don't figgin' worry, it's not like you're last virgin standing."
"Yeah okay." Mel mumbles.

"I thought you were ditchin' practice today." Sid says as they start their second lap.
"Yeah get some action." Tom teases.
"Ramona said she likes watching the practices." His friends start laughing.
"Someone's getting lucky tonight." Sid jokes.
"Ha-ha, yeah sure, whatever you say man."
"Now sonny, don't forget to use a prophylactic!" Sid practically yells.
"Huh?" Tom says distractedly.
"Condom." Sid says laughing.
"Are you two seriously . . . . . " Tom questions as the start up their third lap.
"No, we haven't." Joey mumbles.
"What about when her father walked in, were you going to then?"
"No, that's as far as we planned on going, but there was another time but she wasn't ready so-"
"That must be a bummer for your pant snake." Sid chortles.
"Yeah, but in the long run, s'okay." Joey shrugs. "We make out and shit like that just not all the way."
"Yeah, same with Mel and I." Tom says, "And we all know Sid is all talk and no walk."
"Hey! We make out, I'm just a gentleman who doesn't want to rush his lady."
"Gentleman my ass, you probably tug your boat like crazy." Joey says laughing.
"My boat gets just the attention it needs thank you very much."
"But seriously Joe, you've known her forever don't you get to skip ahead to the goods?" Tom pesters.
"Tom, learn to control your libido." Joey says shaking his head, "And stay out of my sex life regardless of how empty or full it is."
"Fine." He mumbles as he runs ahead.

"What's his problem?" Sid sneers.
"Think he's upset that Mel won't put out."
"Yeah, but they've only been going out since the end of summer." Sid mumbles.
"We've all known each other since the start of middle school."
"You've known Mona your whole life."
"Mind you she's been across the country most of that time."

"Well that was a sexy practice." Emma jokes as the three girls climb off the bleachers and head down the field.
"You're telling me." Ramona laughs.
"Pervs."
"Thank you, thank you." Emma and Ramona chant as they both take a bow.
"Do you have to do that every time you're called pervs, freaks or weird-os?"
"Yes." Emma says proudly. "Mona, why are you wearing Joe's sweater."
"It smells sexy."
"Oh jeez." Mel mumbles rolling her eyes as she opens the door letting her friends into the school before herself.
"Hey, maybe I can actually get into the locker room, if I put the hood on."
"I dare you." Emma says laughing. Ramona pushes her hair back and puts up the hood.
"Hold on." Mel says as she adjusts the hood, "put your chin down and shove your hands in the front pockets so it masks your lady lumps."
"Har har." Ramona says sarcastically as she walks toward the locker room.

As she enters the locker room Tom and a couple of other guys push past her to get out of the locker room. She heads deeper into the locker room and finds the row of lockers where she sees Sid and Joey.
"Hey, who's that guy?" Sid asks nodding towards her. Both Sid and her boyfriend are shirtless, apparently fresh from the shower. She glances around to make sure the rest of that particular row is empty. She removes her hood, both Sid and Joey put their hands over their mouths laughing.
"Ramona." Joey hisses just above a whisper, "What the fuck?" she pulls her hood back on.
"Dare." She whispers. Sid shakes his head laughing and pulls on his shirt.
"I'm outta here." He passes Ramona and head out of the locker room.
"It's a good thing you didn't come a minute earlier."
"Why because I'd see one too many pee pees?" she teases.
"Don't say that, it's so demeaning to my pant snake." She giggles. "Let's get out of here." He says as he puts the rest of his soccer equipment in his bag.

They leave the locker room to see Sid, Emma, Mel and Tom standing there laughing.
"Jesus Ramona." Tom says between laughing fits, "You didn't see anything did you?"
"Sadly no, I came in after the steamy showers."
"Awe, poor you." Emma says in fake sympathy.

"Let's go." Ramona mumbles as she slides her arms around her boyfriend. He slings his bag over his shoulder and wraps his free arm around her.

After a quick bite to eat at a nearby fast food place they head to the all ages club where the concert is being held. Out of no where Ramona practically pounces Joey as she wraps her arms around his neck and traps him in an ardent kiss.
"Happy?" he asks smirking as their mouths part.
"Very, thanks for taking me to this thing."
"Am I getting lucky tonight?"
"Sorry, but Tre is home." Joey chuckles.
"Rain check?"
"Perv." She snickers as she kisses him again. "I'm sure the solo-aviator division is doing fine."
"Hey, how do you know I-"
"Everyone does it." She says shaking her head laughing.
"So does that mean you . . . ."
"Hmm wouldn't you like to know." She says looking around casually.
"Tease, c'mon tell me." he says wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her close, "You know I won't tell anyone."
"Hmm, keep it your dirty little secret?" she says in a sort of sing song. "Don't tell anyone of you'll be just another regret."
"That old song." He snorts. "Yeah, I won't tell anyone." He pulls her ever closer. She stands on her tip toes and puts her lips to his ear.
"Every night." She pulls away slightly to see him smirking. "What? Is it that shocking?"
"Just a little." He says shrugging, "Kind of a turn on."
"You better not get happy here." She says casually.
"Hmm, you're making that very difficult."
"Boy, don't you know how to make a girl fill loved."
"I'd like to say it's my specialty." He says as the door open allowing the line-up or people into the club.

"So how was the concert last night?" Bianca asks as Ramona sleepily walks into the kitchen the next morning.
"It was awesome." She says mid-yawn. "I had a blast."
"That's good, oh your mom called yesterday." Ramona rubs her eyes still trying to wake up fully.
"M'okay." She goes over to the phone and presses the speed dial number. After having a short conversation with her mother she pours herself a cup of coffee.

"Mmm caffeine." She says as she goes to sit at the kitchen table.
"Hey kiddo." Tre says sliding into the kitchen with Josh on his back.
"Mona!" the four year old squeals.
"Too early." She mumbles.
"Hangover?" Tre asks suspiciously as Josh slides off his back.
"No, just tired."
"Open your mouth."
"What?!"
"I want to smell you breath." She rolls her eyes and breaths on his face.
"Happy?"
"Yeah, yeah, easy on the coffee or you'll turn into Mike."
"Ha-ha." She says sarcastically.
"Be nice or we won't give you your presents!" Josh chants.
"Oh yeah." Ramona says as she remembers she never opened gifts from her family.
"Franky!" Tre yells loudly.
"Yeah!"
"Come into the kitchen m'boy." The clone of Tre thumps into the kitchen.

"Oh she's up." He says looking at his sister. "You look like shit sis."
"Thank you." Ramona says rolling her eyes.
"Gifts!" Josh yelps as he skips out of the kitchen and returns moments later with a couple of gift boxes. And Bianca comes out with a couple more.

That evening everyone came over, everyone being the Atwoods, Armstrongs and the Dirnts (well technically Pritchards but who's counting), along with Tom, Mel, Sid, Emma, Rob and Amber to celebrate Ramona's birthday.
"Hey babe, you wanna get lucky?" Frankito asks Amber in a very cocky manor.
"Yeah sure." She turns to Rob, "C'mon Rob, I think I saw a coat closet down the hall." They both laugh as the younger boy's plan blows up in his face.
"Mona, why don't you have any single friends?" he complains.
"Uhh I dunno." She laughs, "And even if they were single I don't think they'd want a go with you."
"I'm going to find Jakob." He mutters under his breath.
"He's with Stelllllllllllaaaaaaaa." Joey teases. As Frankito let's out a sigh of annoyance.
"There's always Josh and Travis oh and Molly."
"Craptacular." He mutters bitterly.
"Don't worry Jason is coming!" Tre calls out. Frankito let's out a weird sort of yelp and runs off.

"What's up with your brother?" Emma asks laughing.
"He has the hots for Jason White's daughter." Joey snickers.
"Did he just run off because he had a-" Mel asks somewhat disturbed.
"I doubt it, he usually gets all dressed up when she comes." Ramona says laughing.
"Hey that's what I used to do when-nevermind." Joey mutters as everyone around him starts to laugh.
"No Joseph, please tell us." Tom says in mockery.
"Yeah we're dying to know." Sid adds in.
"Go chuck yourself." Joey mutters.
"Awe now you made Joseph mad." Rob says in a baby voice. Ramona rolls her eyes and pulls her boyfriend by the shirt into a kiss.
"It doesn't matter."

"Happy Birthday kiddo." Ramona hears Jason's voice say from behind her. She spins around to see him, Sara (his wife) and Madison (his daughter).
"Thanks." She says hugging each one of them in turn.
"Sweet sixteen huh?" Sara says sweetly.
"Yeah."
"Can you drive yet?" Jason asks jokingly.
"As of next Tuesday."
"Have mercy on your father." He jokes as he and Sara walk off.
"Happy Birthday Mona!" Madison says happily.
"Thanks Maddy."
"Do you know where Frankito is?"
"He went that way." Joey says smirking.
"Thanks." She says as she goes off in the designated direction.
"Awe, that's so cute." Amber says laughing.

-Meanwhile-
Frankito stands in front of the mirror in his room and spreads a glob of gel through his hair.
"Hey Franky." Maddy says innocently stepping into the room.
"Oh, uhh hi Madison." He says nervously. "How-how-how'd you know I was up here?"
"Joey told me." she says going over to his dresser and picks up an action figure, "Superman?"
"Uhh yeah." He says snatching it out of her hand and putting it back.
"Meh, I prefer Spiderman." She says walking out of the room. He hurries to follow behind her.
"Since when do you like superheroes?"
"Since always." She says as she casually heads to the family room where Josh, Travis and Molly are.
"B-but you have barbies."
"So? I can't like both?"
"Umm, I don't know." He stutters as they take their seats on the couch.