‹ Prequel: Green Porcupine
Sequel: Meant to be

So Close Yet So Far

So Close Yet So Far

The teenagers didn't get to go on tour over spring break as planned because of the high tension between the fathers and Joey and Ramona especially between Tre and Joey. Eventually, tensions had died down between the young couple and their parents. Ramona is being spooned by Joey as they watch TV. He's caressing the side of her face.

"Ramona, can I ask you something?"

"Yeah, sure," she says shifting her head so she can look at him.

"Does it hurt...when we do it?"

"It did at first but not anymore," she says as she rests her head back on his chest.

"If it hurt why'd you do it again?"

"Pleasure outweighs the pain." She moves her head to kiss his lips. "What's with all the questions, if I wanted to stop I'd tell you."

"It's just I love you too fucking much to hurt you," he says holding her tighter, "And I heard something about it hurting." She looks up at him with big eyes.

"I love you too."

***

Ramona gets out of the shower and wraps a towel around herself.

"Ramona! Phone!" Frankito yells from outside the door, "It sounds important."

She stumbles out of the washroom to her room and picks up the phone.

"Hello?"

"Ramona, it's Mel."

"Hey Mel, what's up?"

"Umm, umm I need to talk to you, can you possibly come over or can I go over?"

"Oh sure, umm I just got out of the shower, so I think it would be better if you came here."

"Al-alright."

"Mel, are you crying?" then the phone goes dead. Ramona shrugs off the conversation and gets dressed.

The door bell rings out through the house.

"I'll get it!" Ramona calls out as she runs through the house. She opens the door to see Mel standing there with puffy red eyes. "Mel! Are you okay?" she looks over behind Ramona to see Josh running around.

"Can we talk somewhere private?"

"Garage?"

"Yeah." Ramona grabs her purse and the two girls head out to the garage and sit in one of cars.

"So, what's up?"

"I know this is a weird question, but after you have sex with Joey do you feel like unclean?"

"No, why?" Mel sighs.

"I've been having sex with Tom." Ramona just stares, "Since February."

"And it doesn't feel right?" she shakes her head. "Then why did you keep doing it?"

"Tom liked it."

"Do you love Tom?"

"I thought I did, but now I'm not so sure," Mel mumbles, "I see you and Joe, you're both so happy but sex just ruined our relationship."

"Did you tell him about all this?"

"No."

"You should, if he has any compassion he'll understand." Mel nods. "Do you want me to drive you?" she nods again. Ramona pulls her keys out of her purse and starts the car.

Within minutes they arrive at Tom's house.

"I'll wait here," Ramona says as Mel slowly climbs out of the car. Ramona's cell phone starts ringing. It was Joey's ring.

"Hey babe."

"Hey, where are you?" he asks.

"Umm in the car, I just drove Mel to Tom's."

"Huh? Why?" Ramona tells him about the whole situation.

"Holy fuck, Tom's, wow," he says in slight disbelief. Mel starts walking back to the car, with tears streaming down her cheek.

"Sorry Joey, I have to go now."

"What?"

"Mel's coming back and she's crying her eyes out."

"I think I'll call Tom up," he says and both hang up. Mel climbs back into the car.

"It's over."

"H-he dumped you?" she nods.

"I told him I couldn't do it anymore because it didn't feel right and he said it was because I didn't love him or I was thinking about someone else."

"Oh Mel." Ramona says as she hugs her friend. "If that's his attitude he doesn't deserve you or any person."

"I just feel like shit right now."

"Yeah, I know."

"Can you just take me home now?"

"Yeah, sure but if you need anything just call me," she nods, the car ride is silent.