‹ Prequel: Green Porcupine
Sequel: Meant to be

So Close Yet So Far

So close yet so far

"Bianca, can I go over to Joey's today?" Ramona asks nervously.
"Is Adie going to be there?" Bianca asks.
"I don't know."
"Well call and find out." Ramona grabs the phone off the kitchen counter and dials the familiar number.
"Hey Joey."
"Ramona, are you coming?"
"I can only come if your mom's there." She mutters.
"Uh, she's going out." Joey says nervously. Ramona puts her hand over the mouthpiece.
"Adie won't be there, but can Joey come here?"
"Fine." Bianca mutters as she puts away the breakfast dishes.
"Joey, why don't you come over here?"
"Yeah, okay. See you soon." Joey says hanging up the phone.
"So is he coming?" Bianca asks.
"Yeah."

"Hey Joey." Bianca says answering the door.
"Hi, is Ramona here?"
"Yeah, come on in." Bianca says leading him into the family room. "Ramona, Joey's here!" Ramona runs down the stairs to see Joey.
"Hey." She says sitting next to him on the couch.
"So can I trust you two alone or do I have to stick around?" Bianca asks evilly.
"We'll behave." Joey promises.
"Alright, just know I have my spies."
"You mean Frankito and Josh." Ramona says in mockery.
"Indeed." Bianca says as she walks out of the room.
"Let's watch a movie." Ramona suggests.
"Sure, I think there's one on T.V." Joey says picking up the remote. "Here it is."
"Oh this is an old one." Ramona says laughing.
"Yeah well this channel only plays old movies." Joey says shrugging. "It's still good."
"So what's up with you, Jakob isn't following you around anymore?"
"Not today, my mom called him off due to the fact I'd be under adult supervision." Joey says laughing.
"Ahh okay." Ramona giggles.
"Little twerp is driving me nuts! He keeps stashing condoms in my room hoping my mom will find them and ground me." Joey mutters.
"That sucks."
"Yeah, I don't know where he keeps getting them, he hardly ever goes out."
"Beats me." Ramona says shrugging. Joey cautiously puts his arm over Ramona's shoulders and pulls her close.
"When do you go back home?"
"Next Monday, the day after our dad's gets back." Ramona says slightly pissed, "But I think my mom will let me live in Oakland this year, so I can go to school here for grade ten."
"Awesome, so does that mean you'll go to the same school as me?"
"Yeah I guess, but it's not for sure yet, my mom said she'd consider it. I've been bugging her about it for the last three years."
"I hope she says yes."
"Me too." Ramona says resting her head on his chest.
"Beep, beep, beep." Frankito's voice yelps from behind them.
"Piss off." Ramona mutters.
"Nope, I want to watch the movie too." He says wiggling between the two of them.
"Fine." Joey says as he changes seat so he's next to Ramona again. Then Josh runs in and squeezes between them
"Bianca this is not funny!" Ramona yells as she switches seats so she's sitting next to Joey yet again. Joey wraps his arms tight around Ramona.
"Mine!" he yelps, "no one will pry us apart."
"You're so immature." Ramona mutters.
"I say it's charming." He says grinning evilly.