‹ Prequel: Green Porcupine
Sequel: Meant to be

So Close Yet So Far

So close yet so far

"Hey Dad." Ramona says as she hugs Tre.
"Hey kid, you still leaving tomorrow?"
"Yeah, it totally sucks, but I think mom is going to let me take grade ten here." She mumbles.
"Yeah she mentioned something about that." He says looking at his daughter.
"Dad!" Josh yells happily as he runs up to his dad.
"Hey boy-o where's your brother?" Tre asks in a childish voice.
"He's in the washroom." Josh says proudly.
"Okay kid." Tre says messing up his dirty blond hair.
"I'm going over to Joey's now; I'll be back in a bit." Ramona says leaving the house.
"Behave yourself." Tre calls out as he does the hand gesture symbolizing I'm watching you.
"I will." She calls back as she walks down the street.

"Hey Joey." Ramona says as he let's her into the house.
"Hey."
"How's Jakob's condom stashing going?"
"It's getting worse; it was only a couple to start with now it's like ten at time." Joey murmurs, "And in more interesting news they've gone from multi-colour to just plain white."
"Fantastic." Ramona mutters. "He's probably trying extra hard to get you in trouble before I leave."
"No kidding." He mutters as they sit on the couch and turn on the T.V.

"Joseph Marciano Armstrong! Get up here right now!" Billie Joe yells.
"Oh fuck." Joey mutters as he stands up and walks up the stairs. Ramona follows not far behind.
"Where are they?" Billie Joe asks pacing back and forth.
"What?"
"The condoms! I had nearly a full box when I left, now it's practically empty!"
"Jakob."
"What? You're the one I caught all over Ramona!" Billie Joe accuses, "Didn't you promise your mother you were abstinent."
"I kept that promise." Joey says weakly, "Jakob has been stashing condoms in my room for the past week hoping Mom'll find them and ground me!"
"Ramona, is this true?" Billie Joe asks calming down. Ramona nods.
"We haven't made-out or anything since we got caught."
"Alright. Jakob, can I talk to you?" Billie Joe calls out as he lets Joey go.
"Do you want to go back to my place?" Ramona offers as she realizes the tension in the air.
"Sure." Joey says as they head out the front door.

"Ahh, if it isn't Joseph." Tre says in a mocking tone as they enter Ramona's house. "Keeping out of trouble?"
"Yeah." Joey says not sure if they're on good terms.
"Okay, be gone with you." Tre says swishing his hand. Ramona and Joey head into the family room to watch T.V.
"Where's Jakob?" Frankito asks looking up from the television.
"He didn't come, I think he's grounded." Joey mutters as he puts his arm over Ramona's shoulders.
"What for?"
"Stealing his Dad's condoms and stashing them in Joey's room." Ramona mutters. Frankito starts rolling on the floor with laughter.
"What's a condom?" Josh asks innocently.
"Ask us again in five years buddy." Joey says laughing.
"But I wanna know now!" Josh whines.
"Sorry but it's really disgusting." Ramona lies.
"I say Franky's boogers, that's disgusting." Josh insists.
"It's worse than that." Joey reassures the four year old.

"Joey, are you staying for supper?" Bianca asks as she walks into the room. Joey looks at his watch.
"Yeah, I guess." He says shrugging.
"Alright, is everything okay?" she asks looking around.
"Mom, what's a condom?" She gives a dirty look in Ramona and Joey's direction.
"Come with me and your father and I will explain." She says slightly irritated as they walk out of the room.
"I didn't think I could make a bad impression on your parents even if they've known me all my life." Joey says laughing.
"At this point I think anything's possible." Ramona says laughing.

About twenty minutes later Josh walks back into the family room slightly traumatized.
"You were right, that was disgusting." Josh says quietly.
"Why would someone want to put one of those on their weenie?"
"What did they tell you?" Frankito asks evilly.
"Well dad showed me what a condom was; it's a really weird balloon. He said that men wear them when they go out with girls and don't want a baby." Josh says. "Do you wear a condom Joey?"
"Uh not yet, I don't need one yet cause Ramona and I haven't gone out for long enough." Joey says awkwardly.
"I still don't understand how it works though." Josh says awkwardly.
"Doesn't matter." Ramona says not wanting anything to slip past anyone's lips.

"Supper's ready!" Bianca calls to them.
"You scared?" Ramona teases.
"Nah." Joey says confidently.
"Liar." Frankito teases.

They all sit at the dining room table eating dinner with light conversation.
"So Joseph, what are your intentions for my daughter?" Tre asks trying not to crack a smile.
"Umm fuck her." Joey says knowing perfectly well this is one of Tre's jokes.
"Language." Bianca says as she nods at Josh.
"Sorry, have intercourse with her." Joey says slowly.
"Keep your dirty hands off my daughter!" Tre yells in a hick voice. "But seriously what are your intentions?"
"Being her boyfriend obviously." Joey says rolling his eyes.
"That all?" Tre asks shoving a forkful of salad in his mouth.
"Yeah Dad." Ramona says slightly annoyed with his treachery towards Joey.

After supper they all head into the family room and star watching movies.
"Josh, I think it's time for bed kid-o." Tre says as he picks up his son and carries him out.
"I'm not even tired." Josh says mid-yawn. Tre comes back several minutes later and slumps down on the couch next to Bianca. Joey cautiously puts his arm over Ramona's shoulders hoping Tre won't notice.
"I saw that boy." Tre says in a hick voice, "It doesn't go any farther then that."
"Yeah, yeah." Joey says still slightly worried.