‹ Prequel: Lady Luck

Destiny

Lady Luck's Story

“I can’t keep calling you Lady Luck all the time.” Ty pointed out that night.

“Why not? After all you are Lord Chance.” She replied calmly, whilst tilting her head back to gaze at the stars.

“Well I don’t know much about you, why don’t you tell me your story...”

“OK then.”

So Lady Luck told Ty all about herself during that night. It was the first time she’d ever told anyone the full tale.

“I might not look that old, but I am in fact over 300 years old. When I was 18, and going by the name of Isobel, I was bitten by a werewolf. The next few years are just blurs; I fed my inner werewolf on sheep but then one night I got out of control and attacked a small village. Unfortunately I left one person alive. He managed to get to the next village and round up a group of men who drove me out of the only area I’d ever known.

I spent the next few years wondering aimlessly, I fed my body well whilst in werewolf form, and starved as a human – as I had no way of paying for food.

Then one month, in my human form, I collapsed frozen at the edge of a snowy village high up a mountain. The villagers took me in, fed and nurtured me back to physical health. Towards that full moon I started getting edgy and tried many times to leave. But they held me back, claiming that it was too cold, especially for a woman in her twenties as I was by then. The concern pleased me, so I carried on staying there. Until the morning of the full moon, they still wouldn’t let me leave. So I had to let my secret out to the villagers, to warn them that if I wasn’t allowed to put a safe distance between us, I would kill them all. But then I was in for a big shock. The villagers already knew what I was, the doctor had noticed my scar from the wolf bite and consulted one of the medicine women to confirm what he believed.

That week (and many more in the following months), I was chained up firmly and kept in the cellar of the house I was lodging in. I was fed on scraps of meat and often in my more human states I wondered why they didn’t just kill me, I was a danger to them all so I thought.
But nearly half a year later; the reason for keeping me alive became clear. With the thawing of the snow, the paths around the mountain were more obtainable. And with that came threats to the villagers. It turned out that they had a disagreement with the nearest village. In the snow, no contact was made easily between them; so they harboured all their anger until the snow melted and they could get at each other easier. The first time I saw them fighting I was in my human state. About five men from the other village came charging in one morning, a few men fort back whilst the others tried to get us women and children to safety. But one child was snatched by the strange men and brutally murdered in front of his mothers eyes. After that, the remaining live men hurried back to their village, whilst our villagers cleaned up and mourned.

I knew then that the next attack would be made by us, and that I would be involved. So the next full moon, in the middle of the week when I was at my strongest, I was taken out of my cellar. I had been sedated and starved all that week, and I vaguely knew what was planed. We got to the enemy village and I was unchained and left alone at the edge. The villagers had the sense to hurry back before my sedation wore off. When my head cleared, I lost all my human sense. I went completely berserk; my hunger driving me to worse extremes than before. I didn’t even finish off a kill efficiently; I was driven through my starvation to ripping the necks of every creature with blood in its veins.

Luckily for those enemy villagers, they had some silver, and my rampage was stopped short by a knife slash from a brave soul. Wounded, I turned tail and ran into the woods; making my way home once back in my fit human self.

I knew then that I had to escape; I couldn’t go through that again. Plus, my life would be on the line once the entire enemy was dead. But my escape came from where I least expected it.

The other village.”