Caught in a Bad Romance

XXI.

“Helena,” Niko said softly.

Man I think he had one too many, and for that to come from me you knew it had to be bad.

“Niko, where’s Luka?” I asked him.

“At the room waiting to see if you’re going to come home. I’m going to take you home.”

“Well maybe we should go now?” I asked him.

“That could work.” He told me as I glanced at Eugene.

“Want me to drive you?” Eugene asked.

“We’ll walk so we can sober up or get lost in Kiev.” I told him as I hugged everyone goodbye.

“Let me know that you got back safely.” Eugene told me as he walked us out of the bar.
I nodded as Niko put an arm around my shoulders and we walked.

“You look nice.” Niko said a block later.

“Sure I do.” I told him sarcastically. “You and I have to talk.” I added seriously.

“I know,” He agreed looking at me. “I shouldn’t have made you feel bad about Iker. I mean maybe he did have a-“ He began.

“See that’s just it, Niko you’re my friend and all and I know we’re close but you have to stop trying to still be apart of my life that way.”

“But I-“

“You’re married, you found the love of your life. I thought I found mine two times now and both were wrong. And one of them still plays games with me when he fights with his wife.” I added giving him a frown.

“How do I play games with you?” He asked. “I’m sorry if I can’t help what I do around you. I’m comfortable around you, being around you for the past month has me feeling things for you like I did when I was 17, except now you’re all grown up.”

“You made your choice Niko.” I said shaking his arm off me. “I won’t let you do this, not to Simona.”

“I haven’t done anything,”

“And we’re keeping it that way, and by that you have to stop trying to get in to my love life.” I
explained as we turned the corner.

After that he was silent, we both were and we stayed that way until we were in the hotel elevator going to our rooms.

“Are you going to the breakfast tomorrow?” Niko asked me.

“Yes.” I said quietly as we walked down the hallway.

“You’re still beautiful Lena.” He told me right before he opened the door to his and Luka’s
room.

I ignored the comment and walked ahead of him.

“Luka, I’m home!” I squealed.

“About time.” Luka smiled hugging me tightly. “Please don’t scare me like that anymore.”

“I’ll try.” I smiled. “I’m going to call it a night.” I told him. “Who won today by the way?” I added.

“Spain did.” He answered. “Dress nice tomorrow.” He added as I closed my door.

“Great,” I mumbled as I walked over to my suitcase.

Now what to wear to make Iker jealous. I thought as I searched through it. After I found what I wanted, I went to sleep believe it or not I was still tired.

That morning I was woken up at 6 am by Luka telling me I had two hours to get ready. So I showered, dried and did my hair putting it up, and letting it stay wavy, after my make up I put on the clothes I laid out last night. A black mini skirt, black lace top, and a leopard print cardigan to wear over it with matching leopard heels. When I was finally done getting ready believe it or not Luka was knocking on my door telling me they were outside waiting.
I came out of the room to see Niko with wide eyes, and Luka looking annoyed.

“My sister is now a fucking porn star.” He mumbled as we walked down to the elevator.

“This is the nicest outfit I have.” I defended, as Niko remained silent.

As we walked through the lobby some of the Spanish players were busy being interviewed, and I noticed that half of them stopped and watched me walk by with Niko and Luka. I was sat at the breakfast next to Ivan who stared with wide eyes at me.

“Jesus Lena what are you trying to do, get Casillas to let us score next week?” Vedran asked
me while Niko and Luka were talking to someone at another table.

“Very funny.” I told him sarcastically, as a lot of the present wives and girlfriends glared at me.

“Can I talk to you?” Luka told me as he noticed me flirting with one of the younger guys on his
team later on.

“Of course.” I said as he took my arm and led me out of the dinning room and back to our
room.

“What the fuck has gotten in to you?” He exclaimed as soon as we were in his room.

“What?” I asked confused.

“Look I get it, I do but acting like this is not going to get you what you want.” He told me.

“What are you talking about?”

“I know you still have feelings for Niko.” He told me, “But you toying around with all these other guys, you’re embarrassing me now I have half the guys on my team telling me how hot my sister is and how they want to get with you.” He exclaimed.

“That’s not what I’m doing.” I said folding my arms.

“So you always dress like this? And randomly sleep with a guy you don’t know?”

“Well,” I began,

“I don’t even want to know what your answer is for that!” He said putting his arms up. “That dinner tonight for the two final teams, don’t’ show up. That’s even bigger than this was and the last thing I want is the press telling everyone my sister is easy.” He said as he left the room.

Did my brother just call me easy? Okay, maybe I was taking this whole Iker thing too seriously…. But I really like him. I spent the rest of my morning locked in my room; Niko and Luka didn’t say a word to me. Maybe it was time I went home? Or at least to Croatia for the rest of the time I’m supposed to be here before returning back to New York? I decided to call
Andrea once again to see what she thought of my idea of leaving.

“Why would you do that? You still have the finals.” She asked dumbfounded.

“I miss home.” I lied.

“As in Croatia? Really now?” She said not buying it. “Alright, what happened?” She added.

“My brother pretty much said I was easy, and then told me to not show up at the big dinner
tonight.” I sighed.

“What the fuck could you have done to get him to say that?”

“Remember the outfit I wore to Brook’s birthday party last year?”

“You didn’t!”

“That I did.”

“Okay, here’s what you’re going to do.” She began, “Go shopping, and buy something really nice like so nice you’d only wear to like I don’t know a wedding or something. And then make sure you leave the same time they do to go to a bar or something that way they’ll see you and be all like oh my god look how nice she looks I can’t not bring her.” She went on.

“Are you sure that could work?”

“If it doesn’t I’ll buy you a kitten when you come home.”

“Okay, I guess that’s a win, win situation.”

“Now go shop till you drop!” She exclaimed hanging up the phone.

So I went out and did just that, of course after I changed in to a pair of jeans and a tee shirt. I think I searched through maybe five different stores over the course of three hours before I finally found something I liked. I made it back just in time as they started to get ready. So I went to go do the same, I showered curled my hair and did my make up and finally changed in to the baby pink dress I bought along with a pair of black tights and a black blazer over it.

When I finished I headed out, knowing they would be leaving any minute and oddly enough a few seconds after I left the two of them came strolling out of the room. I got in the elevator, there still was no words said to me I had a feeling in my gut that this was not going to work and I’d better just wait five minutes outside before going back to the room and ordering a ticket home. I left the hotel lobby and headed down the street, I ended up calling Andrea to tell her the plan failed.

“Did it work?” Andrea asked as she picked up.

“Negative.”

“What? But that outfit looked really nice!” She exclaimed.

“Neither of them said anything, I guess expect me home early.” I told her.

“Seriously? Are you sure you want to do that?” I asked her as the line beeped indicating there was another call.

“Hold on a second I Have another call,” I told her as I hit send on my phone. “Hello?”

“Where are you?” Luka’s voice asked.

“Why does it matter?” I grumbled.

“Because you’re late for dinner.” He told me making me smile.

“Are you sure?”

“Just get back here.” He told me as he hung up.

“It worked!” I told Andrea.

“Told you I’m a fucking genius, now run like the wind bulls eye!”

“Okay, I’m going to go and leave you to watch Toy Story 2.”

“Quality movie.” She said as I hung up and ran to the hotel trying not to trip.

“Well you couldn’t have been that far.” Luka smiled as I entered the lobby out of breath.

“I’m sorry Luka.” I told him as I hugged him tightly.

“Don’t worry about it.” He chuckled giving me a squeeze. He looked at me after he let me go.

“Now you look like my sister.” He smiled as we hooked arms and headed to the dinner.

I sat between Luka and Vedran, and talked mainly to them the whole time. Iker would occasionally glance over at me, but never approached me.

“You should go talk to him.” Luka mumbled to me.

“Nah, there’s nothing to say.” I told him shaking my head.

The rest of the dinner went well, it was a nice night especially for the guys seeing as training would now go in to over drive. For the few days between the dinner and the final, I kept more to myself, Luka and Niko. We’d go out for dinner and a walk and that would be about it seeing as they were so beat after training. Niko and I had made up a day later so there was no more tension between him and I. I’d occasionally run in to Iker and we’d exchange an awkward hi and that’d be the end of it. From what I had heard his girlfriend and had went back to Spain already. The day of the final came, and I even had knots in my stomach from anxiety.