Caught in a Bad Romance

VII.

“You want the jersey back already?” I chuckled, leaning in the doorframe.

“No, but the rule is if a player gives you their shirt after a winning game you have to go to lunch with them.” He told me.

“Lena who is it?” Niko asked me in Croatian.

“Want to come in quick?” I suggested.

“Sure,” He smiled as I let him in my room.

“I assume you both know each other?” I asked them both.

“Congratulations,” Niko said shaking Iker’s hand.

“You too,” Iker smiled.

“I just have to get my bag.” I said quickly as I also ran in the bathroom to fix my make up and add some lip-gloss. “Okay, I’m ready.” I said walking out a few minutes later.

“I won’t say anything to big head.” Niko said to me in Croatian as I headed to the door behind Iker.

“Thank you.” I smiled, as I left the room.

We walked in silence out of the hotel and back to the city, until I decided to break it.

“So how’d you know what room I was in?” I asked Iker.

“A friend of a friend of your brother.” He admitted shyly.

“Who?” I asked intrigued.

“One of the guys on my team is on Arsenal with Eduardo, he asked him what Luka’s was and I figured you’d be next store.”

“I think I should get all my spy tips from you.” I joked.

“I’ll teach you everything I know.” He nodded as we walked in to a small café and were seated at an outdoor table.

We started off with a glass of wine each and talking about his game and how it went.

“You were there the whole time?” He asked me.

“Yeah, but up until half time I was at the bar.”

“Always at the bar,” He chuckled shaking his head.

By the time our food had come, we had switched to speaking Spanish so it would be easier for him. We also began learning more about one another.

“Why leave Croatia?” He asked me while we ate.

“Didn’t offer me anything I wanted, Luka’s the soccer star. I’m a music person. No school caught my eye nor offered what I wanted to learn. Boston and New York did.”

“I envy your fearlessness.” He said shaking is head.

“I admire your goalie skills.” I told him sticking my tongue out as he pulled out his cell phone,
followed by him furrowing his eyebrows.

“According to Cristiano you and him had a date last night?” He said sounding unsure.

“Jesus Christ.” I muttered rubbing my forehead, “I think I officially hate him now.”

“What happened?”

“He was at the club we went to last night, while I was trying to get to my friend he stopped me and actually seemed like a human for once so I let him buy me a drink and we talked for maybe 10, 15 minutes until my friend found me.” I explained, “What is he saying?” I asked as he showed me the text.

I read it and only understood a few words. “What does that word mean?” I asked pointing at the screen.

“The whole thing says, I had a date with that hot blonde you know.” He read to me.

“How nice.” I mumbled cracking my knuckles,

“Cool it tiger.” He chuckled putting the phone back in his pocket.

“I just hope he keeps his mouth shut to Luka or I’m dead.”

“Over protective?”

“You have no idea.”

After lunch we walked around the city for another hour and continued learning more about each other.

“We should head back,” Iker suggested after we picked up ice cream.

“Probably, Luka’s probably having a baby depending what excuse Niko gave him.” I joked.

When we got back to the hotel Iker walked me back to my room, and we switched phone numbers so we could meet up the next day to go to Luka’s game together.

“See you tomorrow morning,” I told Iker as he kissed my cheek and gave me a hug, before I headed in to my room.

“How was the spa?” Luka asked me as I closed the door.

“It was great,” I lied, walking through the adjoining door to see him and Niko playing cards.

“What’d you do?”

“Massage, sauna, facial, and a pedicure.” I lied.

“As long as you had fun.” He smiled looking up from his cards while I sat with Niko.

I turned on the TV, and flipped through the channels stopping on what seemed like a gossip show. It was in English, but had Ukrainian subtitles so I could understand it.

“Cristiano Ronaldo was spotted out in Ukraine last night as some Euro cup event with a blonde woman.” I one guy began on the show.

“Well who is she?” Some guy asked while drinking from his cup of coffee as he wrote something on a dry erase board.

It was at the point; Niko’s head shot up and looked at the TV while I immediately changed the channel.

“Put it back, I was watching that.” Niko exclaimed.

“No you weren’t,” I said nervously giving him a look, meanwhile Luka must have got up and
changed it back manually.

“This Croatian player’s sister.” A woman answered followed by them showing a picture of Luka on the field.

“LENA!” The two of them shouted at me.

“Okay, I can explain.” I said putting my hands up. “He tried to buy me a drink and I walked away.” I lied,

Of course that blew up in my face they second they started flashing pictures of Ronaldo and I sitting and talking.

“And by walked away I mean with him?” I went on.

“What the fuck!” Luka began. “You, and I your room now.” He said as I followed him.

“Okay, in my defense they totally are making something out of nothing.” I began.

“Oh and how is that?” Luka asked as I sat on my bed while he paced back and forth.

“Because, him and I talked for a few minutes and then Vedran found me and I left with him. Nothing happened; I still think he’s a jerk. Even more so now cause he told-“ I began but cut myself off.

“He told who?”

“He told uh” I paused to think of a good lie. “The press obviously that it was more you know.
That’s bull, and Vedran can validate my story by the way.” I went on.

“Fine, but look Lena that guy’s bad news don’t bother with him. He only wants one thing from
you.” He said in a calmer tone.

“I know, don’t worry Luka.” I assured him giving him a smile.

“Alright,” He nodded giving me a kiss on the top of my head as we went back to where Niko was.

“The shirts in your bathroom.” Niko mumbled in my ear making it look like he was reaching for the remote.