SOS: The School of Supernaturals

Fangs and Fire

Before I could decide, however, the bustling canteen quietened considerably. I looked up to see... well, somebody that could only be an Origin.
He was first. He was tall, with striking black hair and a wiry frame. He had an entourage; four, gliding behind him. Two girls; one striking ginger girl, the other blonde. They were both stunning.
The other two were boys, like himself. One black, curly-haired guy and the other with an almost-white hair comb-over.
It was the eyes that gave it away. If I hadn’t known about the genetics, I wouldn’t have known.
They were icy blue.
Vampire Origins.
Well, so the boy’s at the front was icy blue. The other’s... well, there seemed to be something different...
The noise in the canteen immediately rose again, as the vampires went to sit in the back of the canteen. I noticed that the entire left side of the canteen- it was a very big cafeteria- was for Origins. It seemed to be the unspoken rule that students were not allowed to cross the line over to the school royalty... the werewolves and shape-shifters [real werewolves were really hard to come across, and dangerous to be around. Plus, very hormonal. You could tell who was a shifter and who a wolf by who was sitting by themselves on the table, whilst the others chatted amicably with each other], I noticed, sat on the completely opposite side. Obviously, the feud had died out centuries ago, but there was still that sense of unease between them.
“Wait a second.” I said, suddenly startled. “That boy... the vampire. Was that Dean?”
Mark looked at me, shocked. I realized that his hair was actually light brown with highlights, and his eye shade had changed colour; it was a flat grey. Huh. So much for my deduction skills.
“Well, yeah, I guess.” I shrugged, still in shock. “I... I met him earlier. He helped me out... I needed directions to the office. Then I said thank you, said my name was Ray... then he said his name was Dean and he carried on walking off.”
“You know, Ray, a simple we met this morning, would have done just fine.” Mark said simply, enjoying my reddening face. “But thanks for sharing. Anyway, why does that surprise you so much? Seeing Dean, I mean? Hey, that rhymed...”
I chose to ignore Mark’s rhyming comment. I guessed that was more for his benefit than mine.
“I... he just looks really different.” I said, glancing back at the table. I raised my eyebrows slightly in disbelief as I saw Dean looking at me with a peculiar expression on his face.
“You mean more morbid with his entourage.” Mark corrected, taking a swig of his drink. “He’s trying to work you out, you know.”
“How do you mean?” I asked, surprise saturating my voice.
“Well...” Mark paused. “You... don’t look... like anything anybody here has ever seen before.” Mark stopped. “No offence.”
“How do you mean?” I repeated, smiling this time.
Mark smiled at me, looking slightly embarrassed.
“You’re skin is Quileute colour, but paler; so it just looks like you have every girl’s dream tan, without looking like a piece of fruit.” Mark picked up his orange for emphasis. “You’re tall and have really weird hair; it’s really dark but... well, like a second ago. When you turned around to look at Dean. The sun hit the back of your head, and it’s a really light brown.”
“So?” I shrugged, trying to come across nonchalant. “I look strange.” Lie. Mark was just very observant.
Mark leaned forward across the table and motioned for me to do so. So I did. His voice dropped to a low whisper.
“But then there’s the colour of your eyes.” He murmured, his own cool grey staring into mine. “They’re vampire eyes.”
I instantly reeled back in shock. My jaw tensed, and I didn’t look at Mark’s face.
“So,” Mark continued. “Dean is looking at you, wondering what you are. Anyway, you should be happy. Dean is social royalty.”
“What about you?” I asked, glad for the change of subject. “Where are you on the social hierarchy?”
Now it was Mark’s turn to look uncomfortable.
“Oh, you know. You’re average outsider.” Mark shrugged.
I raised an eyebrow.
“I don’t believe you.”
“Why?” Mark laughed.
Before I could answer, a very preppy blonde in a cheerleading uniform came and jumped onto Mark’s back, causing him to almost go headfirst into his tray of food.
I looked at the girl... witch.
No, not in the supernatural sense.
“What are you?” She asked me, seeing me for the first time.
“Is that how you always speak to new people?” I asked coolly. “And I’m not going to bother asking you the same question, it’s obvious you’re just a supernatural wannabe that has had too much exposure to peroxide, so she doesn’t know how to speak to people.”
Oops. Hadn’t wanted to say that aloud.
“Mark. Come on.” The girl pulled at Mark’s arm. Mark was suddenly very interested in the table. I watched on, amused.
“I’m good, Natalia.” Mark said through gritted teeth.
I leant forward, closer to Mark.
“You see, I could say I didn’t believe you because of my amazing ability to read minds, but that’d take more effort than saying that the plastics look lost without you.”
“Who’re you calling plastic?” The cheerleader said, shoving Mark’s arm away and towering over me. Um. Shit.
“You. Obviously I was right; nothing but air between those ears, huh?” I winked.
WHAT WAS I DOING?
I’d tell you what. I was becoming my father. Stupid, stupid, Jacob Black.
“You shouldn’t have said that.” The cheerleader said, her voice suddenly low. Purple fire erupted from her open palms, and the same flames danced in her eyes.

*

I couldn’t help my reaction.
I’d guessed what she was. A witch. Not just in the personality sense, either, but an actual witch. Too bad, I’d had my bets on a banshee.
Now, you know I said when I get really furiously angry I turn wolf? Well, when I’m not furious- because, I have to be actually livid, and it’s hard to get me there- I go vamp.
So you can guess what happened next.
I – so quickly, I barely registered it- stood up to face her. A flicker of doubt passed on her face as she took in my expression, but it was gone and quickly as it had come.
She threw the purple balls of fire at me, ready to knock me into the behind wall.
I quickly threw up my hands- but not in defeat.
The flames stopped and disappeared, ashes appearing on the black marble floor.
Natalia stared at me.
“Fluke.” She whispered, her face not quite agreeing with her statement. “You don’t want to mess with me, new girl.”
I smiled at her, but not in a nice way. In an evil way. In a way a predator would look at it’s prey, toying with it before the kill.
My lips turned a dark, bloody red, with a sheen like bright lip-gloss. I felt my teeth expand, and my mouth stretch over them in that grim smile.
“Haven’t you heard not to mess with a vampire?” I asked.
Natalia looked at me, first confused, then disbelieving.
I smiled more openly now, my eyes smouldering from under my lashes, glinting with amusement as Natalia finally noticed my long fangs.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love the quote at the beginning. In my mind, that's an actual literary legend.

I'm actually writing the fifth chapter now, - the two ahead chapters were posted a while ago on FictionPress - and I remembered I needed to update here :)

Enjoy and hopefully another chapter will be coming later tonight :)

Let me know what you think!

Love,
theprettyreckless