Status: Finished February 9

Don't Look Away Because Dreams Only Last for a Night

Hallelujah

Kate

I woke up with a start. Was that all a dream? Or was that all real? I asked myself as I got out of bed. I tip toed over to Alex’s room. The door was closed. Did that mean I was dreaming? I questioned myself as I knocked on the door. Nothing. He must be sleeping. I knocked louder. Still nothing. I decided I’d just walk in, nothing could be worse than him not being there. I thought as I opened the door a crack. It was pitch black. I opened the door wider. I looked around. It felt like the walls were caving in. I couldn’t breathe. No this couldn’t be happening! This was worse than when my mom left, this as worse than when our older brother committed suicide. Matthew had committed suicide four years ago when my mom left us. He was so close with my mom that when he found out that she left he couldn’t bear it. Well what kid wants to come home from school, a dreadful place to begin with, and be told that their mother took off? No kid I know wants to hear that. It was a hard year for him. He soon couldn’t take it anymore and he hung himself. I found him in his closet. That image has forever scared me.

Everyone in my family was falling part. I couldn’t think of Alex leaving, my best friend. He was gone. I ran out of his room and to mine where I hid myself under the covers of my bed. This is all a dream “Kate wake up!” I yelled as I pinched myself.

“Oh this is no use, I guess I better stop. He’s gone” I finally said. I finally came to realization that Alex- my brother was gone. I got up. No use sulking. I would just do something that wouldn’t remind me of him.

I went downstairs to make breakfast and it was staring me right in the face. It was picture of Alex and I at a concert just a couple weeks ago. It was like a battle of the bands so Alex said we should join because “we fuckin’ rock, we’ll blow off their fuckin’ socks” as he had put it. So we went and played some random song Alex and Jack put together in less than five minutes. It sounded horrible, yet the entire crowd was into it. When we came off stage people wanted u autograph. We ended up coming in first place for that piece of shit that we played.

“Well face it Kate, you won’t be seeing him again,” I said to myself as I grabbed my cereal and left the kitchen.

I only just realized that I’d be the only one living here now. Dad worked so much that he didn’t even come home. Great! I’d have to find out where Alex put dads credit card so I could buy food. I thought as I turned the T.V on and started eating. Saturday morning cartoons filled the room as I sat by myself when a loud knock came from the front door. I looked at the time. 8:30 AM. Who could be dumb enough to come over at 8:30 AM on a Saturday morning? I thought, as I looked out the kitchen window to see- Rian Dawson, and Zack Merrick at the door. Hard not to miss Zack’s hair!

“Hey” I said opening the door. All my thoughts that I’d tried to keep out of my head about Alex exploded and I could feel tears coming.

“Hey is Alex here?” Rian asked.

“And Jack?” added Zack. “We went to Jack’s house but his mom said he was here” he finished as the tears came

“What’s wrong?” Rian asked pulling me into a hug as they both stepped into the house shutting the front door.

“A-A-A and J-Jack l-l-lft” my words were’ coming out because I was sobbing so hard.

“What?” Rian and Zack asked at the same time.

A-A-A” I couldn’t even say his name.

“Where are they?” Zack asked as Rian led me to the couch.

“They- they l-left” I finally got out.

“To where?” Rian asked looking at Zack.

“How am I supposed to know?” I yelled. “Alex got mad at me”

“What?” they both asked shocked.

“Yeah I know,” I said calming down. “He wanted to leave to perform and what not and he wanted me to come with him”

“So why didn’t you go?” Rian asked.

“You and Alex had a fight? Wow!” Zack said still in shock. “Wait! They left to go be a band without us?” Zack finally snapped out of his daydream. I shrugged my shoulders.

“And you have no idea where they went?”

“No clue”

“I’ll call his cell and see” Rian said as his arms moved from around me and he got up.

“We’ll let you get dressed and whatever. Just call us if you need us” Zack said getting off the couch as well.

“Yeah sure” I said as they left my house. I was an even bigger mess now. I found one of Alex’s many guitars and started to strum. I began to just play notes as I started to play Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen. I should start writing my own music and become famous just to prove Alex off. I could get famous all on my own I didn’t need his help, I thought as I sang the words.

Well there was a time when you let me know
What's really going on below
But now you never show that to me do you
And remember when I moved in you
The holy dove was moving too
And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to anyone who commented, and subscribed and read this, you know who you are! Means the world to me, I love comments, and I live off comments so I'd like some =)
Plus the story is written in the past (if you haven't noticed) and you will be getting Alex's P.O.V very soon =)

The song:
Hallelujah By: Kate Voegele