Status: Finished February 9

Don't Look Away Because Dreams Only Last for a Night

Chicago

Kate

Zack had confessed his love for me and I think I had confessed my love for him as well.

“I leave in a couple hours,” Zack said walking into my room.

“Zack!” I jumped as I turned around. “How did you get up here?”

“Well there are stairs and I thought maybe I should climb up them” he said as I started to laugh.

“I know you came up the stairs” I started.

“Well you asked how I got up here…” he trailed off.

“I meant, how did you get past my dad?”

“You’re dad? Well I fought him with a sword” he said as he smirked.

“Really, how did that go?”

“I defeated him in one slash to the chest”

“Wow, my knight and shinny armour” I said as he walked over to me and kissed me.

“You bet” I smiled.

“Now, how did you really get past my dad?”

“I knew that question was coming, but its quite easy to answer really”

“Really?”

“Yes, he wasn’t home” my smile turned to a frown.

“Wait! You mean he’s not home?!”

“Yup, I knocked on your door and no one answered”

“Sorry” I blushed.

“Its ok, if your dad was home, I was going to confront him”

“And say what?” I asked quizzically.

“That I think he has a wonderful daughter and that I have fallen in love with her” I was speechless.

“Shit! Is that the time?” he looked over at my clock.

“Yeah, why?”

“I have to go catch my plane for L.A”

“Right. Well I’ll see you when you get back, or when I get back from Chicago”

“Sweet, when are you going?”

“Tonight” I smiled.

“That’s exciting. I’m sorry I can’t stay longer, but I really have to go”

“Go, I don’t want you to be late. I’ll still be your girlfriend when you get back”

“Girlfriend huh? Well I’ll be your boyfriend when you get back, don’t forget about me” he added as I pushed him out of my room.

“Go have fun making music”

“You too” he called from downstairs. “Hey Kate”

“What?” I asked not wanting him to miss his flight.

“I love you” and with that he was gone.

“Oh, I love you too” I said to myself as I smiled.

****

I tried to get my stuff out of the house without dad seeing. It looked like he was pretty preoccupied with what he was doing that he didn’t notice everything in my hands. I went out to put my stuff in the cab and I saw Alex again. Man I had to stop with this. I just ignored him until he spoke.

“Kate” I stood frozen to my spot. I turned slowly and I saw him come towards me.

“Alex?” I asked as he stopped in front of me.

“Yeah its me” he said as the rain dripped off his nose and hair.

“What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be in L.A?” I asked as I poked him.

“Hey what was that for, and so I came to see you before you leave for Chicago” he smiled.

“Yeah, well, uh, yeah” I said as I grabbed the rest of my stuff and I threw it into the cab.

“What the hell?” he shouted.

“Yeah, what the hell? You leave and then show up out of nowhere and expect me to just be all right with that? Well you’ve got it wrong” I said as I stopped to look at him.

“Well I’m sorry, but I thought maybe you’d want to see me”

“What made you think that?”

“Because I left so fast”

“Oh so now you think of that. You might as well go say hi to dad while you’re here”

“He’s here?”

“Yup, in the living room. I’m trying to get away without him knowing,” I said as I started to get into the cab.

“Wait Kate” Alex said before I closed the door. “All of this was never meant to hurt you. I just wanted to be in a band so bad and it was the right time”

“Alex just save it, I don’t want to hear it. What’s done is done ok,” I said as I closed the door. He gave me a dumbfounded look as I looked away.

“Airport please” Ah, Chicago here I come, I thought as I looked back at Alex once more before we started moving.
♠ ♠ ♠
I bet you weren't expecting that one!

Chicago By: Kate Voegele