‹ Prequel: Write It Out

A Reason to Care

Escape

Sometimes depression is able to sink its claws into us all, and sometimes it’s just too much. Losing someone you truly love is hard, but finding happiness without that person is enough to drive one past the point of no return. I’ve been there, to that dangerous precipice, and I was ready and willing to just leap right off the edge, but someone grabbed me by the hand and pulled me back. That someone saved my life, and returned to me a reason to care; and to live. That someone could be called many names, but here, his name is Shay.

Shay and I normally would have never been associated, if it was for first impressions, but that’s the thing, he doesn’t use them. With probing questions, he is willing to give anyone a second chance when everyone else has abandoned them. With a simple smile, and just a couple of words, he can dissipate any lingering mistrust or pain; and replace it with a calm only he can achieve. Through long hair and graceful movements he carries himself confidently, watching out for those who need him.

With a swift hand and even quicker words he whisks me away. Despite the time in which we were apart he could see the fear and lifelessness in my eyes. It had been a chance meeting, after all these years, who would guess that we would see each other again at such a casual place, under such unusual circumstances. I’d tried to run, I’d hoped he didn’t remember; I know I did. I remembered all those feelings I thought I had rid myself of. As he held my hand in his and pulled me away from the others I feared his anger and his disappointment. I knew he could see the changes I’d undergone and I knew he wouldn’t approve.

The chains on his pants danced and sang as he dragged me along behind him, distracting me. I watched his waist long hair swing from side to side as he moved; I watched until he stopped and turned to face me. “Spill it,” his normally soft and sympathetic voice sounded rough, and it had a hint of something I couldn’t name. I flinched at his words, afraid of the persecution I’d managed to escape for nearly a year. With a careful movement he laid a hand on my shoulder, “What happened to you Liese?”

I wouldn’t meet his eyes, I couldn’t, “Nothing, I’m fine.” It was such a lie and he knew it, “Look at me Liese, what’s wrong?” He quickly added, “And don’t you dare lie to me. The Liese I remember would never lie. She was strong, she could take care of herself, and she wasn’t this. She didn’t hide from anyone.” His words hurt me, had I really changed that much? Was it all really that obvious? I could feel a sting in my eyes; my hand ached for my addiction, my way of stopping those accursed tears. As they fell from eyes and rolled down my cheeks, I felt my hand twitch, and Shay saw that before he could see my hidden tears.

He moved his hand from my shoulder to my hand, gripping it, “Liese,” his voice was calmer, and I could hear the worry in it; it made my tears fall faster, “you can tell me.” I pulled my hand from his and brought them to my eyes, wiping furiously at the salt water droplets. “I-I’m fine!” With a stubborn voice, I attempted to dash away from him, and my emotions. Shay’s arms trapped me from behind, “Don’t lie,” his voice was stern but caring as he said it, “I know you’re hurting, I just don’t know why.” He loosened his grip until we both knew I could get away if I wanted. “Tell me?”