White-Washed Lies

Picture Me Insane

It isn’t uncommon for me to be seated outside the Principal’s door awaiting my turn to be scolded for whatever I had done wrong at the time. This time, it’s for fighting with Alexander. It isn’t like he and I don’t fight everyday, but the substitute teacher has no idea that the day we aren’t fighting means something is wrong. Those are the days I should be sent to the Main Office to speak with someone because it would mean something severe.
“Mr. Ashlin?” I jumped slightly, startled by the sudden voice booming with authority beside me.
“Aye, sir.”
“Enter.” He walked back into his office leaving the door open as a sign for me to fallow. It wouldn’t take much for me to just turn around, back away from the office and ditch the rest of the day. If I were to do that, however, I would be ruining any extra chances I get to sneak into the Arts room in order to work more on my newest painting. That is all it took for me to stand from my seat and fallow after the tall, balding man known as Principal Morris.
He took a seat behind his large oak desk in the oversized swivel chair placed behind the desk in front of the office windows that show off the gorgeous scenery surrounding the school grounds. With a quick flick of his wrist, he motioned for me to take a seat in the uncomfortable looking chairs positioned in front of his desk. Doing as I’m told, I set myself in the chair to the right of the office door, making sure to keep everything in the room within sight out of pure paranoia. Principal Morris seemed to notice something strange in my behavior as he eyed me with utmost suspicion, making it seem as though any moment I would lash out at him in random spurts of rage.
“Do you know why you’re here, Atticus?” Allowing my teeth to sink into my bottom lip slightly, I shrugged my answer. It really could be for a number of things, but my guess lands on fighting with Alexander.
“Alexander and I fought. Mrs. Copp didn’t approve, and sent me here.”
“That is part of the reason.” He paused, staring at me as if trying to read into my soul. My eyes widened at the thought. I looked away from him quickly in fear that he might just be able to actually read my soul with just looking into my eyes.
Who knows? It might just be that simple.
“Why did you hit him?”
I shrugged, acting as if there was not legitimate reason as to why I had hit him, but in truth, I just didn’t want to share my reasoning with him. I understand he’s the Principal, it’s his job to know, but I don’t want him to know. I don’t want him inside my mind, even the smallest bit.
“Okay, Mr. Ashlin, I want you to see Dr. Marcs.”
My heart stopped.
All thoughts running through my head quieted.
Everything seemed to slam to a stop.
He can’t be serious.
I turned my eyes back to him, facing him head on. Blinking being the only thing my mind processing to do at the moment.
“It’s for your own safety, Atticus. We are all concerned about you.”
“I’m not insane.”
“We never sa-”
“You all think I am, but I’m not.”
“I never said you we-”
“Just because I see things different.”
“That isn-”
“I can’t help the way my mind works.”
“Mr. Ash-”
“It’s who I am, but I’m not insane.”
“You have no need to get defensive.”
“You’re sending me to a shrink!” I all but screamed at him, letting some of the built up anger out.
“You’ve been acting off, Mr. Ashlin. It’s been happening more now than usual. We’re worried.”
“I don’t hurt myself.”
“You’re going, Atticus. Your father has already signed the paperwork.”
Fear flashed before my eyes at the mention of that retched man. I stood up, not caring what Principal Morris had to say about me leaving. Before exiting the room, I turned to him one last time repeating, “I’m not insane.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Not really a fan of this chapter, but it plays an important role in leading to the major things to come.