Status: Complete

Delude

Meeting

As I approached the red Mustang that was waiting for me in my driveway, I stared in awe as I opened the door and slid inside, grinning.

“Nice fucking car,” I said, nodding in approval.

Jade McCoy, my best friend of three years, leaned over to pet the dashboard, her blue eyes glistening with joy.

“I know, right?” She smiled broadly. “It was my birthday present from my dad.”

“Your dad bought this for you?” I was stunned. Jade’s father barely sent her birthday cards since her parents split.

She nodded vigorously.

“What did he want?”

Jade glanced over at me as she pulled into the road. She shrugged. “I don’t know. He and my mother haven’t spoken in almost two years.”

I didn’t say anything as we hit a red light on Ridge Avenue. The car jerked to a halt as Jade slammed on the brake.

“What was up your mom’s ass?” she asked.

“I don’t know.”

“Doesn’t she ever get laid anymore?” Jade was nothing if not outspoken.

“Ugh!” I groaned as we neared the school. When she parked and we got out, I made sure to slam the door extra hard. This caused her to glare at me.

“What the hell was that for?”

“You can’t just say shit like that about my mom.”

Jade just shrugged and headed toward the school. I rolled my eyes and followed her, knowing she’d be fine later. She liked being able to find ways to blow off steam.

Before I headed to homeroom, I stopped at my locker. As I swung it open, it stopped halfway and I heard a moan from behind it.

‘Shit!” I hissed and moved the door slowly. “Fuck, I didn’t even see you.”

The boy I hit stood with his hand on his nose, with blood sliding down the cracks of his hand. He looked as surprised as I did, his green eyes wide and watery. He sucked in a shaky breath and extended his free hand, and then he mumbled something.

“Sorry.” I raised an eyebrow at him. “I didn’t catch that.”

He blinked at me, sniffed, and winced. He tilted his head back and talked to the ceiling.

“My name is Evan.” His words sounded strange with his broken nose. “Thank you for hitting me with your locker. It’s a nice first day welcome.”

“I should get you to the nurse.” I felt bad. I didn’t mean to hit him. “It’s this way.” I touched his shoulder and he flinched. “Sorry.”

“S’ok,” he mumbled. “I just didn’t know you were going to touch me.”

I gripped his arm and he lowered his head to stare at me. I was surprised as I led him to the nurse’s office that there was no hostility in his voice as he spoke.

“What’s your name?”

“Casey,” I said as we walked passed a group of students. “It’s over here.” I pointed to the sign and dropped his arm.

He frowned at me. “Well, thanks. I hope I’ll see you around.”

I sighed when he vanished and shut the door behind him. I looked around to see the hallway empty, knowing I’d already missed part of my first class. I cursed and headed for the library.

I took my usual seat in the back by one of the bookshelves. I didn’t like sports, so I considered changing my spot. Maybe the Psychology section? Right, then people would openly talk about me instead of behind my back.

I liked being away from people. I liked to observe them when they didn’t see me doing it. It was better than trying to make friends with people who didn’t want me in their groups.

I shook my head. I wanted to write something but didn’t have a notebook or a pen. Maybe I could write on the desk and the librarian would see it as being creative.

I moved the chair back and stood, with the intention of going to ask for paper and a pen, when I was stopped by a chilling feeling; I felt like someone was watching me.

I scanned the library and found nothing. The feeling still did not subside as I walked to the front and asked for a notebook. When I received it, I turned to go back to the table.

I decided to move away from the sports section and go sit on one of the chairs on the other side of the room. I pulled my legs underneath me and opened to the first blank page.
♠ ♠ ♠
Subscribe and comment.