Status: Active, but slow

Chase This Light

The Rush

“The fourth number of pie?” Jasey asked, taking a bite of the actual pie in front of her. After escaping through the back door of the club, Reid insisted that they follow whatever routine that Jasey usually followed after a show.

So here they were, sitting in ‘Over the Moon’ pie shop, where Jasey was quizzing Spencer on random trivia. “1”, Spencer answered with a laugh. “Can you even check me on that one?”

Jasey snorted in her milkshake, before pushing the rest of the pie they were sharing towards him. “Nope.” Spencer shook his head with a smile. “But, statistic wise, you’re bound to be right.” She winked at him.

“Oh, geez, thanks.” A thought suddenly came to Jasey, causing her to sit up in her seat.

“Spencer! Have you ever seen a city skyline at night?” Spencer shook his head, his mouth full of the last bit of pie. Jasey stood up quickly, grabbing his hand and pulling him towards the door.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

“My humble aboard” Jasey sang out to her empty apartment. “Coffee?”

“Y-yea.” Spencer stumbled, both into Jasey’s apartment and his words, “Coffee sounds great.” He watched Jasey head off to his right, into her open kitchen. Her whole apartment was open. The first floor was nothing but a great room, divided into four separate spaces. Her kitchen was all gray and stainless steel, perfect to make the cement floors throughout the place. Two counters stood opposite each other, reaching from floor to ceiling.

On his left was her dining room, complete with a huge table in the middle of the room. It easily fit 12 people, with two head seats and two benches. Past that was an office area, marked off with a ‘L’ shaped desk. Two computers, a laptop and a desktop, stood in a sea of boxes that overflowed with tee shirts and CDs. One even held a box of scrub-like pants, which had little bats printed all over them.

What made Spencer smile though, was Jasey’s living room. Staircases that, he guessed, lead to her bedroom, separated the two spaces. The whole back wall was nothing but windows, at this was the only spot where the curtains were pulled down from the midpoint.

A shag rug, deep red, clashed with the other rugs that marked off the others, but looked thick enough to sleep on. Her couch anchored one of the biggest TVs Spencer had ever seen. The couch seemed shorter than most, but was by far the largest width he’d ever seen.

“I’m rarely home during the year.” Jasey said, carrying two cups of coffee toward him. He looked back, realizing that he had dropped his bag and entered to apartment without knowing he was doing it. “But when I am… it’s what most of my savings got poured into. I get a lot of my shirts and stuff from deals I make, and a lot of my check goes to the charities I love, and I don’t drive or have an addiction outside of coffee… so it’s just about all I have.” She looked embarrassed, but Spencer smiled.

“It’s wonderful.” He accepted the cup of coffee and took a sip. ’Of course’ he thought with a small laugh, ’of course she makes a great cup of coffee’.

“Let’s head upstairs.” She lead the way, crossing the room. “I want to show you the best part.” Spencer followed her silently, careful not to spill any of his drink on her white steps. It wasn’t until they were crossing the room, that he realized he was in her room.

Unlike the rest of the house, Jasey’s bedroom was cramped. Bookshelves covered the walls, filled with photos, books, CDs, movies and even some notebooks. Her floor was all carpet, and Spencer could only imagine how soft it was. Jasey kicked off her shoes, reaching down to pull off her socks and grabed a blanket from a basket. She pulled back the curtain, revealing the balcony sliding door. Spencer leaned forward quickly; unlocking it and pulling it open for her. “Thanks hun.”

Spencer stepped out onto the balcony, and let out a deep sigh. Jasey’s apartment building did not seem that tall out here, with buildings of hundred stories flanking her balcony. Their lights casted down on the little couch and chair combo that Jasey was heading to, so bright Spencer considered reading a book. Jasey threw the blanket down, pulling a table closer. She turned back to Spencer, smiling as she watched him twist himself around to see all angles.

“It’s amazing.” He said, walking towards her with a giddy step. “Beautiful.”

“Do you want to sit?” She stepped aside, and Spencer slide down, still entranced by the building beside them. Jasey sat on the other side of the couch, curling her legs up and throwing the blanket over them. “Office complex. That floor”, she explained, point to the only one with open windows, “has my favorite charity on it. They have some of their parties out on this balcony.”

Spencer smiled, sitting back. Chairty. He found a girl that likes Gatsby, loved coffee and donated her apartment to charity. One that seemed to live in a world miles away from him.

He looked over at Jasey, who was watching a helicopter fly over them. In the pale yellow light, Spencer considered her to be her most beautiful.

“Tell me about your family.” She shook him out of his staring, snapping her head down again. “I want to know everything about you.”

And of course she picked family first. Spencer looked out in front of him, taking his time to kick off his shoes and sit them on the table before he continued. “Well. My father left my mother and I when I was young- leaving me to help my mom through her worst years with her schizophrenia.” He turned to Jasey, as if he was excepting her to jump up in surprise.

Instead, she just snuggled more into the couch and blanket, staring at him with welcoming eyes. “When I turned 18, I had already been accepted into the FBI. By that time, my mother's condition was far worst than when my father left., so I used my power of attorney to put her in a facility.” He took another sip of his coffee and turned to stare out on the city again.

“Spencer.” Just saying his name, Jasey comforted him. “You’re amazing. Seriously. The biggest drama I’ve ever had in life was not having my mother- but I lost here early, so it’s not like… I knew what I was missing. Plus, she left me with a father who cared for me. Your mother, probably where you get this strength from, tried her hardest and raised a wonderful child, who in turn, did the best he could for his mother.”

Spencer smiled softly, shivering slightly. Jasey laughed, putting her coffee down and moving closer to him. As she tucked the blanket around them, Spencer heard an odd sound in the distance. “Is someone playing music?”

Jasey nodded, grabbing her coffee and sitting back. “There’s some acoustic bands that play down on the park at night. They have to wait 'till the cops don’t care. No one’s ever really complained.”

They sat back, slowly letting the music hit their ears. ’Taste.. I need the taste. I need it’s warm touch..’.

“What happened to your mother?” Spencer whispered, as if not to disturb the music.

“She passed away while giving birth to me.” It was Spencer’s turn to be silent, turning slightly to face Jasey. “My father, of course, blamed her doctors- not me. But still, the idea of facing a world where everyone thinks I took my mother's life to live mine… My father lacked on. He doesn’t like me touring, well, until he met some of the guys. The ones who attacked at the scent of unknown dog.” She smiled at Spencer, who chuckled. Jasey yawned, moving to drop her head on Spencer's shoulder. “Tell me about your team.”

'I know! I'm alive.......

And that’s how they spent the next two hours. Wrapped in a blanket, telling each other their secrets. How freely they could tell each other anything didn’t seem to concern either of them, Spencer wasn’t shocked when Jasey dropped her legs on his lap. Instead, he leaned over to wrap them tightly in the blanket, for she had just confessed her hatred for her feet being cold. Spencer had never laughed so much in his life- between Jasey rationalizing her fear of pregnant women, to her ridiculous stories about pranks crew members play on band member while they’re on stage.

He entertained her as well, with stories of Garcia and Morgan’s ruthless flirting. Stories of the lies that unsub constantly told to prove their innocence. He tried to shy away from the negatives of his work- and she tried not to bring them up. Every time Jasey laughed, Spencer would laugh, and that’s how they spent the night.

“What time is it?” Jasey suddenly asked as the last lights of the buildings flicked off. Spencer reached into his pocket to pull out his phone.

“2:46” he cursed, sitting up quickly and running a nervous hand through his hair. “I should get going.”

“Spencer, don’t be dumb.” She sat up too, placing her feet on the ground and folding her blanket. “I’m not letting you ride all the way across town in some creepy morning driver’s cab. You should know- statistic wise, cab drivers are creepier after 1:30.”
Spencer laughed, watching as she stood up and grabbed their cups. “Did you just make up a statistic?”

Jasey ignored him with a wave of her hand. “Just stay here. I’ll take the couch.” She left the door open for him, and Spencer soon found himself chasing after her.

“No- Jasey. I can’t take your bed.” Jasey gave him a look from the bottom of her stairs.

“Do you really except to be able to fit on my four foot couch?” Spencer ran down after her, glancing quickly at the couch. Yea. No way. “Just take my bed- I have some spare merch if you want to chang-“

“We can share a bed?” The exclamation came out more like a question, quickly changing to regret. As comfortable as the were all night, did she really want to sleep with him. Oh god, Spencer thought instantly, Sleep! I meant lay next to while… sleeping.

From the sound of the coffee cups crashing into the sink, Jasey was probably inches away from calling the cops on a FBI agent. He almost lost her breath when she turned to him with a smile.

“You’d be willing to share a bed with me?” Panic set in, but before Spencer knew it, she was walking towards him.

“Y-you’re willing to let me stay here!” What was meant to come out as a strong argument, sound more like a squeak. He realized Jasey was getting closer, only inches away from him. So close, she had to look up at him.

“You don’t even know me, Spencer.” She spoke with a serious tone, but her playful eyes
gave her away.

“Not true.” He was suddenly whispering and smiling. A week with Jasey and his jaw would never be the same. “I know you’re a daddy’s girl, you hate your feet being cold, you love
Fitzgerald and Chinese food….” Somewhere, in the back of Spencer’s mind, he knew he was ranting. But before he could stop himself, Jasey had wrapped her arms around his neck and stopped him first.

He kissed her softly. Jasey imagined a wonderful place, where this incredibly sweet, amazingly smart, totally beautiful guy could wake up in the morning and kiss her this softly.

But for now, she decided, she would settle for tonight
♠ ♠ ♠
Bow to thee, Abbycus Forensicus. :)

The Rush by Dashboard Confessional.