One Heart

Too Much Like An Old Thing

It turned out that I wouldn't need to get a hold of them as they seemed to have 'missed their flight' and as such had to wait until next week for the next plane. When next week came and went and they claimed another delay I got a bit suspicious, however when I tried to look up these supposed flights I managed to get distracted one way or another, something which I'm pretty sure they did on purpose. Knowing them they were probably just keeping the lie to themselves so I wouldn't feel bad. In fact, I was grateful for the fact they stuck around, since even just with Jimmy, Rae was kept constantly entertained.

Right now Val and I were in the kitchen sitting beside the counter as Jimmy was chasing Rae around the house, playing a game of Tag. Normally I would've minded this and made them play it in the garden, but everything that could be broken indoors already had been by them, so I couldn't see the harm in it. Just watching them made me tired, causing my head to slump upon my arms resting on the counter. Then again, I seemed to be exhausted all the time now anyway.

“You know Nat, you should sleep better,” Val commented. “You look like shit.”

“Don't say that with my daughter around,” I mumbled, forcing myself upright on the stool with a yawn. “I'd rather not hear her asking what that meant.”

“Regardless, I think you should get checked out.” She slipped off the stool and tugged at my arm, forcing me onto my feet, even as I protested. I did try to get her off me, but I didn't really have the energy to fight back that well.

Instead, I resorted to a verbal protest, since the physical one clearly wasn't going to happen. “I can't go now; I've got to look after Rae.”

She rolled her eyes at me, pulling me with her out of the kitchen. “Come on, you haven’t been looking after Rae since we got here. We have. And don't worry; she'll be fine for an hour or so with Jimmy.”

“But…”

“No buts!” She commanded, only letting me go when she reached the front door and had to dodge a giggling Rae and an equally happy Jimmy, the latter of which she quickly grabbed by the back of the shirt. “Jimmy, we're going out for a bit. Don't do anything stupid.”

He gasped. “How could you ever think I would do anything like that?”

Her eyes narrowed but didn't say anything as she let go, probably because at that moment Rae let out a loud whine. “Uncllllleee Jiiiiiimmmmyyy! I bet you can't catch me!”

I winced at the sound of her cry, feeling the headache that had been plaguing me for the last few months or so return once again. However neither Val nor Jimmy seemed to notice this, which I counted as a blessing since it would just be something else for Val to say to the doctor and make them think something was wrong with me.

“Well, have fun. I have matters to attend to, so if you excuse me...” He flashed us both a grin as he raced off after my little girl, taking care to keep his pace just slow enough so that she always remained ahead. It did make me feel guilty at the fact she only ever received this father figure element when Val and Jimmy came around, since after Brian, there had been no significant guys in my life.

I snapped out of this thought when I suddenly realised I had somehow ended up in Val's car, not knowing how the seat belt got around me or when we even left the house. “How the fuck did you manage that?”

She tutted at me. “Geez Nat, just because you are out of earshot of Rae doesn't mean you have to instantly kick start the swears.”

Scowling, I retorted with the only thing I could think of, which only ended up in her laughing more. “Fuck off.”



After walking into the clinic- well, Val was behind me with her hands pressed against my back and was forcing me in- I had to wonder how she had managed to pull this off, especially considering I already had an appointment made and we just so happened to be on time for it. This brought me down to only one conclusion.

Val had been spending too much time with Chloe.

Chloe knew exactly how to get me to do things, and by doing things I mean getting forced into doing things since I certainly won't do it myself. One such thing I wouldn't do is willingly submit myself to a doctor, no matter how much they smiled at me as I sat down opposite
them in their private room.

“Miss. Taylor, I presume?”

Instinctively, I shuddered. I hated formalities, it just reminded me even more of the fact I was here. Luckily Val had come with me, mainly because I refused to let go of her arm, and answered for me. “Yes, that's her.”

“I'm Dr. Howes,” he said, eying at me carefully before tactfully adding, “Or you can call me James.”

“I think I'll stick with Dr. Howes.”

“Okay,” he replied with a smile, adjusting himself in his chair before looking over me. “What seems to be the problem?”

“Nothing, so I'll just be going-”

“Don't even try it,” Val hissed, her hands clamped down on my shoulders so I couldn't stand up. I guess this was the bad side of making her come with me. “Just look at her, she looks like the walking death.”

Just because I was a bit pale didn't really excuse the fact she said I looked like death, but after this I felt my mind wander, not really paying any attention at all to what they were saying as I gazed around the room. I didn't even notice that they were trying to talk to me until Val shook my shoulder.

Opposite me, Dr. Howes looked at me with concern. “Miss. Taylor?”

“Yes?”

“Would you say you have had problems with concentrating at all?”

“Doesn't everyone?” I replied, raising the back of my hand to my mouth as I yawned.

He frowned. “Have you been experiencing any feelings of fatigue lately?”

“When you are a single mother, spend time with your daughter during the day and spend nights when she is asleep working, sleep is a rare gift.”

“Any signs of physical exhaustion?”

“When you are chasing a four year old all day, I think that's a given.”

“Nat,” Val murmured, looking down at me.

“What?”

“He's only trying to help.”

“Well I didn't ask him to,” I replied coldly, giving her a glare as I wriggled my shoulders free, allowing me to stand up.

Unfortunately I must have gotten up too fast since I got that light-headed feeling and swayed on my feet, and to my most unwanted desire, was caught by the already concerned looking doctor. Instead of helping me back onto the hard, plastic seat he let me take over his cushioned one, taking my seat and lacing his hands together as he propped his chin on them to look at me.

“Miss Taylor, I am going to ask a question and I will need you to be truthful for me. I know you obviously have an aversion to doctors, but your health is at question here.” He edged the seat slightly closer to me, looking directly into my eyes. “If not to find the answer for yourself, then at least get it so your daughter and friend won't have to worry.”

My eyes flickered back to his after they had been staring at the floor to avoid his gaze, replying with a sigh, “Fine.”

His concern broke as he smiled, but there was still a hint at it in his eyes. “How long would you say you have been experiencing these symptoms?”

I didn't let my eyes wander at this point, knowing that Val's expression would certainly not be happy when I gave my answer. “They got worse around six months ago, after the one time I fainted at work. I just put it down to lack of sleep so I didn't do anything about it.”

“But these symptoms continued- why did you not seek medical help?”

I shrugged. “I never had the time to.”

“Perhaps it is a good thing that your friend dragged you to see me today then,” he replied, standing up from the chair and moving to the side. He began to rummage through various cupboards and was pulling things out and setting them on the side, with all but one blocked from my view. A needle.

“It is merely precautionary, but I would like to take a blood sample, if you have no objections.”

Oh, I have objections.

“Don't worry Nat, I'm here,” Val murmured, moving to my side and taking my hand. She didn't complain as my nails dug into her skin as I watched him walk over with the needle, my eyes growing in fear. “I won't leave you.”

“You'll just feel a little prick...”
♠ ♠ ♠
Story is a little slow to begin with, but it picks up from now :)