One Heart

Family Stories Are Always The Best Ones

Nathalie's POV

“Thank you Brian, that was lovely,” I said, taking a small sip of the orange juice he had set out alongside it. Everyone else was of course drinking wine or beer, but I decided on being the driver for tonight so Brian could drink instead.

He raised an eyebrow. “You know, with your plate like that I wouldn't normally believe you.” Then he smiled. “And call me Dad. Or Papa Gates, everyone else does.”

“Sorry, my stomach just couldn't handle it all.”

“Hey, don't worry yourself,” he said, getting up from his chair at the table to start picking up the plates. I was about to help when he stopped me, adding, “Now don't you do anything Nathalie, your my guest so you just sit and enjoy the wine- well, orange juice.”

“I really don't mind-”

“Nathalie, it's alright,” he said firmly, ending that subject. “I just hope you have enough room left for dessert.”

Brian shot me a weak smile as we watched his dad disappearing back into the kitchen with a miniature pile of plates in his arms, eventually helped out by Val who had to follow him and catch all various items that fell before they smashed on the floor. He rubbed his hand gently on my leg, whispering, “Sorry about him, he doesn't mean to be so forceful.”

“Don't worry, he isn't.”

“I hope you aren't talking about Dad Brian,” the woman opposite me said, playfully frowning at him. “You know what happened before.”

He sighed, leading me to ask, “What happened?”

She laughed, replying when Brian didn't. “When we were younger Brian called Dad controlling because he wouldn't let him out past curfew. Then Dad just wanted to prove how controlling he could be.”

“Dad didn't let me do anything unless I asked for his permission first,” Brian groaned. “I couldn't even go to the toilet without asking first! And I wonder why he found out?” His eyes locked upon his sister's as she laughed. “McKenna.”

“That was ages ago. Why are you still so caught up about it?”

“Because he never would have found out if you didn't say anything!” Brian accused, pointing his finger at her.

“Of course he would have,” McKenna snorted. “Did you hear the noise you were making? It was 3am! You couldn't even get into your room without my help; I found you slumped on the floor by your door because you couldn't open it!”

“I would have eventually got in there.”

“Sure you would have,” she replied, rolling her eyes. “If you don't believe me, ask Zacky. He had to help me get into your room and then take your clothes off. Well, he did that part; no way was I undressing my brother.”

As soon as he heard himself mentioned in the story Zacky looked away; acting as if he hadn't been laughing along with the others at Brian's drunken mishap. By the look on Brian's face however, he hadn't known about this little fact.

“What the fuck Zack?!” Brian cried, looking both extremely violated and offended at the same time. “Why didn't you ever-”

“Hey, no shouting at my table,” Brian Sr. said, quelling any protest his son had to a dark mutter. He placed a large cake in the centre of the table, followed shortly with ice cream and bowls by Val. Reaching over he cut a slice from the cake and placed it in a bowl that Val had just finished scooping ice cream into and placed it cheerfully in front of Rae. “Eat up, little one.”

She happily picked up her spoon and scooped up a mixture of cake and ice cream and put it on her mouth, mumbling, “Thanks Granddad!”

All of us except McKenna and Brian Sr. froze; they didn't know exactly who Rae was. For all they knew, they just thought she was my daughter, and Brian had taken her on as his own. Of course, that was their thoughts until now.

“Tastes yummy!” She added, her cheeks already coated in a faint vanilla coat, decorated with cake crumbs.

He laughed, ruffling her hair. “I'm glad, but I'm not your Granddad. Just call me Papa Gates.”

All of us sighed in relief, moving from our frozen positions. That was, until we had to hold our breath again as Rae just had to ask something else, pointing at Brian. “But you’re his daddy, aren't you?”

“Yes, that's right.”

“And he is my daddy, so...” She shovelled another spoonful of cake and ice cream into her mouth, concluding, “That makes you my Granddad.”

From how he suddenly went quiet, I began to worry I might cause the guy a heart attack, and quickly tried to remedy it. “I know we should have told you, but...” I trailed off towards the end as he took the empty chair next to my daughter, taking her onto his knee and began to bounce her up and down.

“Well, at least my good looks got passed on, because you're a pretty little thing, aren't you?”

Rae beamed. “Very pretty!”

He chuckled, wiping off the sticky patches on her cheeks. “Goodness knows they didn't pass onto your daddy.”

Brian scowled. “Thanks Dad.”

“Any time son.”

“Granddad?” Rae tugged him gently on the sleeve of his shirt. “Can we go play?”

“Now Rae,” I warned, “ask properly.”

“Oh, sorry mummy.” She corrected herself. “Can we please go play?”

He smiled. “Of course. “ He helped her climb onto his shoulders and secured her in place by holding onto her legs before getting up, turning to Brian to ask, “Do you mind cleaning up?” This was more of a command than a choice. “Thanks.” He then left the room, bobbing a giggling Rae on his shoulders.

As soon as he was gone Brian sagged in his chair from relief. “He took that well.”

“Well I have some questions,” McKenna said, looking between the two of us. “Why didn't you tell us before that you had a daughter? Don't you think we had a right to know?”

“Of course but-”

“Did you not think you could trust us?” She looked hurt. “Trust me?”

“McKenna...”

I decided to lend a helping hand. “McKenna, it's my fault. Don't blame your brother.” I sighed. “It's not like Brian has known for long himself. He could have easily turned around and ran in the opposite direction when he found out.” Underneath the table Brian took my hand, squeezing it reassuringly with a smile. “But he didn't. He stayed, and now I'm married to father of my daughter and the love of my life. The way it should have been before,” I finished, returning Brian's smile as he raised my hand in his and softly kissed the back of it.

McKenna couldn't help but feel our happiness, the frown disappearing as her hurt emotions disappeared. “Brian?”

“Yes?”

“I think you chose right this time. Definitely nothing like that bitch you pulled in your senior year,” she mused. “Remember what happened to her?”

Brian shuddered. “Who doesn't? She was the last girl I ever brought to meet you.”

Curious to find out what happened, I leaned over to Zacky and whispered, “What happened?”

“I heard that she was one of the girls that used to bully McKenna when they were younger, and she had a grudge against her ever since,” Zacky explained. “When she started dating Brian and sneaked back with him one night McKenna managed to get into his room while they were sleeping and cut out boob and crotch areas from her clothes.” He paused for dramatic effect before adding, “Including underwear.”

“Don't forget I also cut 'slag' into the back,” she interjected, looking thoroughly proud of herself. “Although it would have been better if someone hadn't given her shirt to go home in.”

“Oh come on, it's not like I could let her go home like she did!”

“Only because you slept with the whore. I hope you had yourself checked out after, you never know what you could have caught.” She grinned. “Anyway, I'm proud of you.”

The change of subject surprised him. “For what? You hated her.”

“Oh not for that. I'll always look down at you for that,” she replied casually. “I'm proud-” She then turned and winked at me. “-because you didn't marry a skank.”

“Oh.” I glanced at Brian before looking back at her. “Erm... thanks?”

“Coming from McKenna, that's a compliment.”

“Just you wait until Brent gets here,” she chuckled. “If you thought Brian and I are a bit weird, then just you wait until the big brother arrives.”

Brian almost choked on his drink. “Brent's coming?!”

“Oh, did I forget to mention it earlier?” She had a devilish look in her eye. “And he doesn't know about Nathalie. Or that you are married.” She emphasised each point, her voice accenting each until she finished, “Or that you have a daughter.” Brian groaned, slumping back on his seat. I was about to ask why Brent would take it differently to herself or their Dad but she soon answered it for me, “Brent is big on family.”

Very big,” Brian agreed. “Ever since I joined the band and we started touring it meant that I wasn't around much, so whenever we could all get together was important to him. This also made him want to know everything about us- and I'm sure me getting married and having a daughter is something he would have appreciated a call over.” He sighed. “I'm screwed.”

“You sure are,” McKenna happily stated, pausing just as the doorbell rang causing her to grin as her brother's head sank. “Looks like big bro Brent is home.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated twice today since the last chapter is only small. Sometimes I'm just too nice :)