Strangers in the Rain

Chapter 16

Gerard didn’t look at me once while I spoke. I looked down at the table for the most part at some points I glanced up at him. He looked depressed, neither one of use was crying, it kind of confirmed things for me. If neither of us could cry over this then we clearly didn’t care enough about our almost relationship.

“Can I tell my side of the story to Lexi now please?” Gerard asked, looking up at me, I nodded, although I couldn’t see it making too much difference. No matter what he had to say it wouldn’t change my mind. “I left for those weeks to try and figure out what to do. I went and stayed with a friend who lives in New York and I visited her grave every day hoping that there would be some kind of sign of how I should handle things with you. Like should I tell you or just keep hiding. Well nothing happened until Frank started calling me, he made me realise what an ass I was being to you. He bugged me for near enough every day until I came back. I hadn’t been taking care of myself while I was in New York, if I wasn’t at her grave I was in bed confused and I cried quite a bit. I realised I made so bad decisions and I should have been honest from the beginning, I see where you’re coming from Lexi but I can’t let you just walk out of my life. Maybe this is a sign. Maybe we’re meant for each other.”

“I haven’t known you long enough for you to be saying things like that Gee,” I said getting up from my seat, “and I'm sorry, I just can’t date a guy who thinks I'm his ex in a new body. It’s not healthy. I'll see you at work tomorrow Frank.”

I left Franks, when I got outside tears had found their way to my eyes. I knew it was wrong to date Gerard, but that doesn’t mean I can’t be upset about. I had grown a bit fond of him. But I couldn’t allow anything to happen between us. It wouldn’t be right, it wouldn’t be healthy.

As I unlocked my car, glad that I knew one of these days I could save up for a new one, I heard Franks door open and close. I suspected it to be the older of the Way brothers wanting to talk more, to try and change my mind. But I was wrong. Instead Mikey was walking towards me. He opened his arms to hug me and I needed a hug. So I hugged Mikey and it felt nice and safe.

“You must feel a bit confused still and a little upset huh?” Mikey said stroking my back. I nodded into his shoulder. “Do you want me to come to your apartment, make sure you’re ok? We can talk about it some more if you want?” I nodded, Mikey opened my car door for me and then got in himself.

I drove us home, failing to keep my eyes on the road at all times, I was distracted by Mikey’s cuteness. We got there in one piece. He rushed around to my car door and opened it before I knew what was happening. He was a gentleman, manners must run in the veins of the Way family blood. He followed me up to my apartment, while in the elevator I couldn’t help but wonder if Mikey had other reasons for coming with me. And what his brother would think about us to being alone. I wondered if he knew where we went and if he would be mad. I haven’t known Mikey that long and already he was coming into my home and would soon be drinking my coffee and watching my television. If Gerard hadn’t of left he might have been able to do these things. If he had stuck around we may all ready be closer. I'm glad he left in a way, it meant I found out the truth sooner rather than later.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took a while and was a little short, next one will be longer. Promise! Enjoy!