Strangers in the Rain

Chapter 2

A guy I had just met had just proven to be one the most agonisingly good kissers I had ever had the intense pleasure of meeting in the rain. He leant back across the table being careful not to knock over either of our coffees. He had a small smile of pleasure curving his perfect lips. Seriously they were perfect. I wasn't sure how to react. I went through a few possibilities in my head, grabbing the scruff of his jacket and kissing him with a little more...passion. Kicking him in his nuts, thus preventing him from reproducing and running off into the sunset. Smacking his soft cheek. A few others crossed my mind but I chose to blink at him. Apparently my reaction was comical as Gerard chose to laugh.

"What?"

"Well you look so confused and lost, like you were in the biggest day dream of your life and when you blinked it was like you came out of it and your eyes snapped back," Gerard chuckled lightly. He did a lot of chuckling. "It was funny."

"What do we do now?" I asked looking at my hands wrapped securely around my newly emptied coffee cup, it no longer provided any warmth or caffeine just an object that needed recycling. I allowed my fingers to gently tighten and untighten which created a soft popping noise each time the cardboard was released. I felt Gerard’s finger gently tilt my chin upwards he then moved some of my hair so he could get a proper look in my eyes. I blinked again but Gerard’s reaction was to sit motionless gently holding my chin. I ceased the popping of the coffee cup as Gerard removed the cup from my hands.

"Do you have a phone?" Gerard asked softly barely audible to me, who was sitting mere centimetres away, the only background noise the Starbucks heater and the rain pounding determinedly on the window next to us.

"I have a cell," I indicated slightly with my head that said phone was in my bag occupying the empty space next to me.

"Where’s the rest of your stuff?" Gerard asked as he used a gesture that I should surrender my phone to his awaiting clutches. I reached into the bag and pull out the phone. "And just in case," Gerard reached a hand to his jeans and produced a black Sharpie. He gently grabbed my arm and rolled my the sleeve of my long sleeve black and red splattered top which also moved the jacket out of his way as due to the rain they were stuck together. He softly wrote a series of numbers very lightly which made me giggle.

"What?"

"It tickles," I giggled.

"I like your laugh," Gerard smiled shaking his head lightly. His hair no long splattered me with water on the account that it was now pretty much dry if not a little damp. "So where’s the rest of your stuff?"

"In my car broken down a bit away from here," I explained. "I bought most of the stuff worth stealing with me. At the moment I’m sleeping in that car until I can think of something more permanent."

"Well I can help you find a place to," I cut him straight off when I got a hint of what was about to come out of his mouth, I held up and hand and Gerard abruptly finished sitting back into his chair some more.

"I'm not going to be in debut to some guy who I just met in the rain today, no offense, I don't know you, maybe when I do a little more but it’s just not something I do." Gerard appeared to understand he smiled gently and nodded.

"Nothing wrong with a little dignity," he smiled, "but how about a job?"

"How would you know what I’m qualified as?" I asked motioning for Gerard to give me back my phone, after all he had it for long enough to steal whatever information he may want or need. He slid my brick phone across the table on the top of a small piece of paper the size of a business card. The paper was in fact a business card.

"What’s this?" I held the paper between my middle finger and pointing finger. Gerard raised his eyebrow as if to say 'do-you-seriously-have-to-ask' with that smug impression I had already pieced together in my head. He chuckled gently when I did nothing more than give him a mere look of...impatience.

"Well my dear, those digits put into a phone and rang will give you a job." He smiled gently placing a hand on my phone as if to indicate that I should do this very soon. This stranger was bewildering me. I mean first of all he decides that he'll pick me off out of the street in the middle of my little break down and buy me coffee. Then out of the dark grey sky he kisses me and then provides me with a job. Was he kidding? Honestly looking at him now as he stares out at the rain I have no idea why he’s doing this and what he’s intentions are.

The way he keeps flipping his head to clear the hair from his eyes implants me with some sort of reassurance. I don't know why, and I don't know how but it reassures me. And now I look at him he doesn't appear to have the best life in the world. His eyes are sunken slightly and have a dazed quality to the hazel irises. His hair is obviously cut so meticulous that when he wants the jet black strands to, they fall gently in front of his eyes. His clothes seem warn, his leather jacket the very rendition of old-hand-me-down, his black jeans, which from my position at the moment I would have to bend my head to see, were from memory, faded at the knees and just about as tight as you could buy your jeans, they didn't leave too much to the imagination. Not that I was about to go complaining to any jean companies. The t-shirt he wore, which had been shielded by the jacket during the downpour, was an Iron-Maiden one, seemed like one of the older versions and had been worn a lot. In fact there were even a few holes and tears helping the imagination. His skin was pale, especially since he wore such dark colours and dark hair. It was a little damp and even blueing in the light from the fluorescent light of Starbucks. His lips were as I said perfect. Not to full and shaped beautifully.

Why this guy was in a place like New Jersey and not an underwear model was beyond me. He seriously could be anything he wanted to be in my opinion. Just by smiling. I would become his personal slave if he were to kiss me again. Gerard moved his face again so he was facing me, his expression was soft and waiting. He smiled sincerely before he spoke. "So are you gunna give it a call of do I have to march you to your new work place?"

"How do you know they'll even consider me?" I asked hoping I just caught out Gee during his little genius planning to get me a job without knowing anything about me. But apparently he already had those bases covered. He was going to be one of those guys who had everything thought out so no one ever got the better of him. I could just tell.

"You just tell them Gerard Way sent you and you've got yourself a guaranteed job. Trust me, you won't even need an interview," he winked sliding out from his seat. I don't know why but I couldn't stop the feeling in my heart of that sinking feeling when someone’s just told you you've gotta move into a cave away from the rest of humanity and away from the one person you love. And for some reason my heart thought someone I loved was leaving me. And no one I even knew was around. Was it possible that Gerard had made that much of an impression on me already?

"What kind of job is this?" I asked in disgust. No interview? Mention his name? What was he trying to get me into? This could be anything and I wasn't about to lower my morals and sell myself just for a piece of paper that’s worth a little bit of money to some bank.

"Just trust me," he smiled taking his jacket from the back of the padded seat, "I’ll give you a call once you've got that job." He walked away and I don't think any other girl would blame me from watching him walk away. Again his jeans didn't leave too much to the imagination.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts? Do you think it would work as a series? Coments?