Strangers in the Rain

Chapter 3

I bit my nails as the phone rang. I was waiting for this mystery job to pick up while I drunk more coffee in my car. It was starting to smell in here since my clothes were drying in the back seat, I was glad to be in dry clothes though. I was a little more confident I wasn’t going to die of pneumonia.

“Hello, this is Andrea from Skeleton crew how may I help you?” A middle aged woman’s voice said. I took in a deep breath preparing myself for this. God knows what this ‘crew’ is. I couldn’t find the words to tell her why I called. I looked around my beat up piece of rubbish I call a car and realised they won’t take me. I'm just as good as my car. “Hello? Is anyone there? I can hear you breathing you know?”

“I think I have the wrong number, I'm sorry,” I went to hit the red button but the need for money and food took over me. I was being irrational and stupid. Maybe this will lead to good things. Maybe Gerard works there. And maybe this is some stupid joke. But there's only one way to find out. “Maybe this is right. I was given this number by Gerard Way he said, I think it may be a joke that if I called.” Andrea cut me off.

“Hold on one second please,” she put me on hold. I found this surprising and nerve wracking. I bit my nails some more and looked out my window. The rain was starting again. The clouds were settling over head and these looked worse. I was staying in my car tonight. The people outside of my car were also anticipating the rain. Lots were twitching as they waited for buses and taxis. Some were already taking shelter in coffee shops. I tried to engine on my car, again. It moaned at me angrily and then gave up. I was going to no where tonight. “Ma’am are you still there?” I almost jumped out of my skin when I heard a human voice again. I calmed myself and stopped staring at some man dancing as he waited for the bus.

“Yeah I'm still here. I was daydreaming, sorry, um yeah my name is Alexis King. I know this sounds really stupid but a man I met today said to ring about getting a job. His name was Gerard Way. I know this sounds creepy so I will hang up and we can both move on with our day.” I said rather fast. For the second time while talking to this woman I hesitated as I was about to push the red button. And for the second time Andrea talked straight over me.

“No, Miss King please wait. My boss would like to speak with you, he’s here with me. I will pass you over,” I heard the passing over and the muffled noise of voices and telephones. A male voice replaced the young female one.

“Hey, this is Frank Iero one of the owners of Skeleton Crew, did you say that Gerard Way,” he pronounced his name of though I was a death retard or something. Come on I know I have my blonde moments but I can hear and I'm not that stupid. “told you to call?”

I started off my nodding and realised that this Frank Iero person is talking to me on a phone and he can’t see me. “Yeah, we met today, had coffee and I mentioned I have no job and he gave me the number I just dialled and here I am talking to you. Why? Is this some sick and twisted joke? Because I gotta tell you if this is I may crack and it will be blamed entirely on you Frank Iero.” The rain began to pour and my car began to get soaked. People were now literally running for cover. I held in a chuckle knowing I was nice and dry and they weren’t.

“This isn’t a joke. Gerard is a good friend of mine. Why don’t you come down to the offices and we’ll see where we can slot you in. Anyone Gerard recommends is fine by me.” Frank said. I smiled a little. This wasn’t a joke and Gerard wasn’t some sick and twisted insane lunatic. And these could be the first moves to getting back on my feet and getting my life back on track. “Where are you at the moment?”

“I'm out by the memorial statue in New Jersey.” I said. I wouldn’t be able to go anywhere to far away at the moment though. Not in this weather and not with this car. “But it is kind of pouring down outside.” I opened my window a little, I wanted some fresh air. I pulled my handbag over to me, to take out my cigarettes and lighter. It’s an expensive habit for someone like me but I'm an addict. The world outside was becoming more and more blurry as the rain became heavier. No one was outside anymore. Everyone was taking shelter in shops and cars. “Where are your offices? When do you want me to drop by?”

“Oh right now. We’re just two buildings down from starbucks. Where are you parked? I'll met you with an Umbrella.” I looked round and counted the buildings from starbucks and saw a brick building with the banner Skeleton Crew and their logo next to it. I couldn’t see too much inside since the rain was messing with my vision. But he was right their offices were there.

“I'm in the red mondeo just across the square.” I said taking a drag from my cigarette to calm my growing nerves. “But you don’t have to do that for me, I'll just run really fast, I look horrible today anyways.” The rain ruined my appearance earlier today, there's no possible way I can even attempt to fix it now. If Gerard was right it wouldn’t matter anyway. I grabbed my jacket from the chair next to me and put my things away.

“No, no, I am on my way. I will be there in like minute. I can see your car from here. And don’t worry about looks, were just gunna talk. See you soon.” He sounded excited as he hung up. I threw my phone in my bag and looked in the mirror. Make-up running, hair uncontrollable and clothes I can’t even begin to explain. I finished off my cigarette and watched the building. I saw a short man under a orange umbrella running my way. This must be Frank. When he finally reached my car he tapped on the window and indicated I should roll it down. I did so, but not too far, I wasn’t going to get the inside of my car all wet. “Alexis King?” I nodded and he smiled opening my door. I rolled the window up and stepped out under the umbrella. “Follow me.” He looped his arm through mine and we took off towards the office. He ran so he was half pulling me along as I spluttered through puddles and dodged bigger puddles.

When we reached the warmth and noise of the office Frank put the umbrella down and showed me through to his, well I think it was his office. It was someone's office. It was very officey.

“Take a seat, man it’s letting it rip put there,” he said shaking himself off. I sat in a chair in front of the desk and Frank took his seat after hanging up his jacket. “Now first off please tell me all about how you met Gerard. Don’t miss a detail, a thought, a feeling out. I'll tell you why when you’ve finished.”