Strangers in the Rain

Chapter 7

“So, where are you staying tonight?” Gerard asked following me as I left. Today was a great start to my new and improved life. I looked around, all the business people I had seen this morning were leaving, to catch buses or cabs or to drive themselves home. They all looked a little happier yet carrying more and lost in their own little world. I made my way through those people, making a B line for my car. It stood out from miles, it was the oldest one on the block and was a horrible colour but it was all I could afford at the time.

“Well Gee, I'm sleeping in the back seat of my car. I tried the front seat once but the hand brake got on my nerves and I tried curling up in a ball on one seat but it was so uncomfortable I moved. But that was when I was a teenager, those were the good old days of partying all night.” I said not making much of an effort to face him, or let him catch up. I kind of liked the idea of him following me like a lost puppy. When I did reach my beat up old ride I opened the door, climbed inside and rolled down the window. I took off my jacket and used it as a curtain on that side and another on the other side. “No peeping,” I warned. I began to undress and redress myself into some sweat pants and an old tee shirt. I like to be comfortable when I get inside my house. And right now my car is my house. And even though people can see me, my new life and attitude is helping me to get over that.

“You done yet?” He asked from the outside world.

“Hold on,” I pulled on an old hoodie and took down the jacket. He was standing there fiddling with his hair. “So why are you waiting here? Why are you standing outside my car?”

“I don’t know,” he smiled and leant on my open window. “I like being around you or I wanted to talk some more or I wanted to offer you some dinner.” I shook my head and pointed across the road to a Chinese take out. “I know you don’t take stuff from strangers but.”

“Not only do I not take stuff from strangers, I don’t tend to accept dinner offers from anyone. Unless their family or I am dating them.” Pulling on some converse, I stepped out of my car with my bag on my shoulder and made my way to the take out place.

“Well what if I force you to have dinner with me,” he said following me, again! He seemed to be rather attached. For the last two days I can’t recall walking to or from somewhere without him either taking me or him following me. I didn’t mind. Gerard has revealed himself to be a rather strange person. He follows people, is rather tall and could be seen as intimating that with the following people could be badly interpreted. He loves some awesome music. And doesn’t really tell you too much of what he’s thinking about you and when he does it’s more than you expect. And so far I'm not sure why he has grown an attachment to me. I had also picked up, from Frank, he may be a little unstable, what with the stuff about girls sending him to drink and drugs.

“You can’t force me to some place sit me down and shovel food into my mouth,” I said ordering my food. “And I love Chinese, if I could I would only eat this stuff but I think my weight would suffer.”

Then he asked me to move aside so he could talk to the small Chinese man serving us. He then placed an order. I stood with my arms folded a little confused, but I wasn’t going to let Gerard know that. Instead I remained questioning. Very different from confused.

“Well if you can’t beat them, join them,” Gerard said handing over money.

“Who says I'm going to let you in my car?” I asked smiling.

“I'll sit next to it then.”

“Why?” I asked picking up my order.

“Why what?”

“Why me? Why are you so attached to me? Why are you insisting on sitting on the ground at night to eat with me? Why are you getting me jobs and taking me to lunch? Why did you buy me coffee? Why did you even talk to me in the first place? What do you see in me? You don’t even know me.”

“Yet.” He smiled. I let him in my car. I couldn’t let him sit in the middle of the road. I owe him that if not more.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoy!