Spinning at the Seams

Chapter 19

The week past by fast as we all prepared to turn in our last articles before we left for Thanksgiving. It was decided that “my” truth article would come out after Christmas, I claimed that I needed inspiration, but it was mostly because Hunter was having a writer’s block, and the articles he’d already written that had yet to be published Adam already knew about.

I was extremely shocked when my mom announced she was actually spending Thanksgiving with us. She never did that, at least not since my dad left. But there she was making turkey and talking to Di. She had told me I wasn’t helping as I made dinner normally and this was a holiday I deserved off. I had agreed but stayed near the kitchen in case something went wrong. Thankfully nothing did, other then Marc grabbing food when it was still in the oven and burning his tongue in the process.

Mom and Di were talking as they worked, but in low voices that stopped anytime someone came near. Mom seemed angry, and her whispers sounded harsh. Di’s seemed determined and a little upset, whatever she wanted didn’t seem to be going her way. I was waiting for Adam to call, or else I would have eavesdropped. When he finally called he seemed distracted.

“Hey how was your flight?” I asked.

“What? Oh it was fine, long and boring but fine, how’s dinner going?” There seemed to be another voice in the background as he said this, but I just pushed it aside assuming it was just the airport.

“Good, I guess. Mom surprised me by cooking, claiming I cook enough. And I haven’t heard any alarms, other then my idiotic brother screaming because he burned his tongue, but that’s what he gets for trying to eat the marshmallows of the top of the sweet potatoes while their still in the oven.” I waited for a laugh but it never came. Instead he said something that was muffled but sounded very annoyed.

“Hey I’ve got to go, we need to get our luggage, I’ll talk to you later okay, bye.” With that he hung up without waiting for my response. I blinked in surprise, he never hung up before hearing me say goodbye, he said it was his way of knowing what I was feeling as our conversations ended. I didn’t get to think about it any further as my mom called me to dinner.

Dinner was oddly quiet. Marc was stuffing his face; he had evidently gotten over burning his tongue. Julia was babbling happily at first, but had quieted when no one answered her. Olivia was glaring at Di, who looked worried and anxious. Mom suddenly cleared her throat, and everyone turned to look at her.

“Diana has something to tell you, be aware that while I’m not happy about what she’s done, I will fully support it, and it is not open for discussion.”

Marc looked confused, and I was uneasy thinking of the way the voices had sounded earlier. We both turned to look at Diana, Olivia refused to look at her, instead glaring now at her food, which I noted was virtually untouched. Julia was looking between Olivia and Di, curiosity etched in her little face. Di looked up, then back down refusing to meet our gazes, instead focusing her attention on circling the glass in front of her with her finger.

“Well, um, before you say anything hear me out,” I stole a glance at Marc, he still looked confused, but worry was now mixed in. Mom’s face was unreadable as Di continued. “Over the past year or two, I’ve been in contact with dad.” She didn’t look up but she probably already knew our faces. I was angry, Marc looked like he’d been told football was now illegal, Mom looked hurt but knowing, it explained the harsh whispers. Olivia now looked angrier then before, and Julia looked confused. Di pressed on before anyone could speak.

“He recently invited all of us kids to visit him and Nina,” I flinched as did mom at the mention of that home wrecker’s name. “And I said we would visit him for Christmas if Mom agreed. He told me that part of the divorce agreement was that we were to supposed to spend a few holidays with him, and that he never pressed it because he had no idea how we kids felt. Now that he knows I forgive him, he thinks its time the rest of us did too. So we’re going to California for Christmas.” I watched as Marc furiously pushed back his chair and stormed off, the door of his room slamming as it closed. Mom looked like she was made of stone, and Julia still looked confused. I could feel my anger pushing up inside of me, ready to explode.

“Hey Jules,” I put on fake cheeriness, there was about to be a lot of screaming that she didn’t need to hear. “Why don’t you go up with Liv and play horsy? I’ll be up to play with you later.” Olivia’s head shot up at this, and she turned to me incredulous, apparently she had wanted to scream at Diana too. I shook my head no, as Julia grabbed her hand, tugging her along. The entire time she shot daggers at Di, I knew what I would say would only be the tip of the fury iceberg, she would get the rest of the anger when Olivia finally got her alone, but now it was my turn. Di still had her head down, but she looked up tentatively looking at me then Mom. More me then Mom, mom already knew, it explained her introduction to Diana’s speech.

“YOU FORGAVE HIM?! HOW COULD YOU?! I WATCHED YOU AND OLIVIA CRY YOURSELVES TO SLEEP FOR THREE WEEKS AND YOU JUST FORGIVE HIM?! WELL GUESS WHAT DI, I DON’T! AND I’LL BET MARC DOESN’T, AND BASED OFF OF LIV’S REACTION NEITHER DOES SHE! SO IF YOU WANT TO VISIT HIM FOR CHRISTMAS, FINE GO! BUT HOW DARE YOU DRAG US WITH YOU! I DON’T WANT TO SEE HIM EVER AGAIN! AND HERE YOU ARE MAKING THAT HARD DI! DID YOU STOP TO THINK HOW THIS WOULD MAKE US FEEL? DID YOU STOP AND THINK HOW IT WOULD IMPACT US? BECAUSE LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING DIANA THIS IS NOT JUST ABOUT YOU!” I was seething as I finished, Di looked ready to cry, and shot a ‘help me look’ to Mom, but based on the look on her face, Di was on her own.

“Never? What about when you get married? Have kids? Graduate? Become famous? Don’t you want him to be there to see that?” She asked, getting more confident as she went on. I shook my head, incredulous. No I really didn’t want him there for any of that, and I wasn’t afraid to tell her that.

“Never, I never want him there. When I get married Marc can walk me down the isle.” That was saying a lot, Marc and I rarely saw eye to eye, and Diana knew that. While our serious moments lately had been changing that, Di didn’t need to know that, and it was beside the point. “As for kids, I’m not even sure I’m having any! And even if I do, I’m sure not going to have Dad’s adulteress influence in their lives! Graduation is my way of proving that I don’t need him to be successful, that without him I still succeeded. If I become famous, it will be my final blow, show him how him leaving broke me but I overcame it, end of story.” Di’s eyes were watery as I finished. I rarely yelled at her, or told her how wrong she was, at least not like this. It must have been a shock to her system to hear my speech. Mom finally spoke.

“I know how you feel, Antonia, but your sister was right about the divorce agreement. I’m afraid if you didn’t go he could take me to court for full custody. Better to go and tell him how you feel to his face. Remember, you’re sixteen soon to be seventeen. Next year at this time you’ll be seventeen going on eighteen, and therefore will have a choice of whether to go, no legal strings attached. For now, you have to. Julia’s not going, she’s too young to fly without me, which I don’t think your father will object to. I’m sorry sweetheart, but you have to go this time. But tell him how you feel, if you do it’s a weight off your chest and you won’t have to go visit for any other holidays. I know-“ She faltered slightly before continuing, “the man I knew would not force you to come back if you told him what you just told Diana.” Mom looked ready to break, so I just nodded.

“Just listen to him Toni, he has a side of the story to.” At that I whipped my head to glare at Diana, that was not something to say at that moment, or any moment for me.

“HIS SIDE OF THE STORY? LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING, HIS SIDE OF THE STORY DOESN’T MATTER TO ME! HE HURT ME, AND NOTHING, AND I MEAN NOTHING WILL EVER CHANGE THAT. AND I WILL TELL HIM THAT. HE IS NOT FORGIVEN AND NEVER WILL BE!” I was livid as I took Marc’s lead storming up to my own room, and slamming the door. I could see why Marc did it, it was rather cathartic, but I was still furious.

I paced my room for a while, trying to get rid of my anger. I needed to talk to someone, and Adam had been weird on the phone earlier. I checked the clock, 6 P.M., most families would be eating right now, but I desperately needed someone to vent to. I pulled out my cell phone, and went to phonebook, deciding to let fate help me. I hit a random button and the phonebook jumped to a number. I hit dial and listened to it ring.

“Hello?” said a voice on the other line.

“Hey Madison, are you busy?” I really hoped she wasn’t.

“No, we just finished eating, this phone call is saving me from having to watch football with my dad and uncle. So what’s up? You sound odd.” She stated, but I could hear the worry in her voice.

“I really just need some one to vent to and some advice, and fate seems to know that you’re good at this.” I heard her say something to someone, and then silence filled the other line.

“Sorry, just moved to my room, now vent away.” So I did, I told her everything that has happened with my family, even things Hunter and Mallory didn’t know. I told her what had happened today, leaving out the Adam conversation; I would have to deal with that on my own. She listened, asking questions occasionally, but otherwise waiting patiently. When I finished the other end was silent as Madison thought. Just as I was about to ask if she was still there she spoke.

“Well, what your dad did was wrong, but your mom didn’t seem to handle it either. She just let you take over without realizing that you were still a child. But Toni, before you protest, I have to admit your dad was still wrong for leaving without and explanation, and to seemingly cut you out of his life. My advice, try to hear him out, but take everything with a grain of salt. He seems like he may be manipulative, especially if he knew to pick the weakest link to infiltrate your life. But tell him how you feel, okay?” I frowned slightly, what she said about my mom was wrong. But it was still good advice, so I smiled. Madison did have good advice about my dad, apparently fate didn’t totally hate me.

“Your right. Thanks Madison for listening, I really appreciate it.”

“No problem Toni, I’ll see you at school on Monday?”

“Yeah I’ll see you then.” Madison said goodbye and I hung up wondering if Adam was really going to call me back. I waited for a while, but still no call. How was I to know that what he was doing would be my ultimate betrayal?