Spinning at the Seams

Chapter 31

When I woke up Roxy was asleep in the bed next to mine, I checked the clock, it read 2:45 A.M., I laid back against my pillow, trying to go back to sleep. It was useless, stupid Roxy making me go to sleep at 4 P.M. and then not waking me up to eat. I looked at my nightstand where my phone now lay, wouldn’t hurt to check it I thought.
I quietly crept out of bed and down the hall to the bathroom where I closed and locked the door behind me. As I waited for the phone to turn on I wondered what Adam was doing right now. Probably sleeping a voice told me, after all it is almost three in the morning meaning about two in the morning there I looked at the phone in my hands, which was now buzzing like crazy. Four missed calls it read, all from Adam. I checked the times, they were spaced out over the last few hours, and the first happened a little after we landed.
Figuring his phone was off I decided to call him back and leave him a voice mail, let him know that I was alive. To my surprise a voice answered the phone after three rings.
“Hello?” Asked a sleepy Adam on the other end.
“Hey, didn’t mean to wake you, I was just going to leave a message,” I said quietly, I felt bad waking him up.
“Toni? Hey it’s no problem, I left my phone on hoping you would call, why didn’t you call earlier?” I smiled thinking of mine and Hunter’s conversation about this earlier.
“Because I didn’t want some flight attendant getting mad at me for answering my phone while on the plane, and I didn’t want Hunter’s sister Roxy throwing my phone out the window because I was talking to you instead of her.” I listened to Adam laugh on the other line.
“I’m sure she wouldn’t actually throw your phone out the window, and why are you whispering?” I laughed quietly.
“Oh she would, she would feel bad about it later, but she would throw my phone out the window. And I’m whispering because its 3 A.M. here and everyone’s asleep, and I don’t want to wake them up.” Adam chuckled on the other end.
“I’ll have to take your word for it, I saw a girl at the airport today who reminded me of you, I was sad when I realized it wasn’t you.” I felt myself melt at that.
“Aw, you’re so sweet, to bad you’re all the way in Texas, I could use some cheering up.” I heard Adam snort.
“I would love to cheer you up.” I gasped realizing how that sounded.
“You have been spending way too much time with Tristan.” I stated shaking my head, I was rewarded with Adam’s sweet laugh.
“Maybe, but he has some funny stories about you, including something about Pretty Pretty Princess.” I blushed.
“Oh look at the time, I’ve got to go before Roxy realizes I’m gone. And didn’t Madison tell you to ignore Tristan, you know he’s delusional.” Adam started laughing harder.
“Delusional, really? He seemed completely sane when he described you girls tying him to a chair and giving him a make-over.” I smiled.
“Well, you know crazy people can look completely sane, but then they start spouting off weird stories, can’t believe them.”
“Okay then, Tristan’s delusional, and I miss you.” I felt my smile growing wider.
“I miss you too, I’d better get back, I’ll call you tomorrow okay?”
“Okay, but you realize it is tomorrow, so I’ll just talk to you later.” I rolled my eyes.
“You and your grammar, fine I'll talk to you later okay? Bye.”
“Bye beautiful.” I heard it disconnect on his line, and I flipped my phone shut, smiling dreamily at the background image. It was me and Adam taken after the last football game of the season, we had actually won, and I had run to congratulate him. My phone had fallen out and Mallory had snapped the picture as I had reached Adam, and was being swung around in his arms. I floated back to the room on a happy high, and let myself fall back asleep once again.
“GET UP! GET UP! GET UP!” I groaned and put my arm over my eyes.
“That is not the way to wake someone up Roxy!” I heard a voice snap.
“Yes it is! She needs to get up!” I turned over grabbing my pillow.
“No it isn’t! This is how to wake her up.” I snuggled closer to the pillow as silence filled the room for a moment.
“What are you doing?” I pulled the covers over my head, trying to block out this rather annoying conversation.
“You’ll see. Hi, no it’s Hunter. No she’s fine. No she didn’t. Well it was either this or my sister wakes her up with cold water, and I didn’t think you would want that.” Silence filled the room again, and suddenly something was poking my back.
“Hey Toni, your boyfriend wants to talk to you.” I pulled back the covers only long enough to grab the phone; I didn’t even bother opening my eyes.
“Hello?” I asked into the phone, turning over in the bed.
“Hey, while I know Mickey Mouse isn’t as cute as me, you should probably still go see him.” I smiled at the sound of Adam’s voice.
“Why? Is he Santa Claus? Will he give me presents? No I don’t think so, therefore I’m going to sleep some more.” I was about to shut the phone when his voiced yelled through it.
“No, don’t hang up. Come on get up, don’t you want to show me pictures of this trip later?” I yawned.
“No, not really.” I heard Adam groan in exasperation.
“Okay, then at least get up so I have a girlfriend when I get back, I’m afraid Roxy may kill you if you don’t wake up, then I’ll be sad.” I groaned.
“Fine, I’m getting up, I’ll talk to you when I get back from this place of dreams, or whatever they call it.” Adam laughed.
“I think it’s the year of a million dreams, and it’s the place where dreams come true, and call me later.” I nodded and then hung up the phone. Based off the way Roxy was jumping up and down this was going to be a memorable day.