Falling on Dead Ears

To everyone!

Travis stood over her shoulder as she made the sauce basically out of scratch. He’d never actually seen someone cook like she was, except on TV. The smells floating through the air made his mouth water as he floundered and fumbled with what she asked him to do.

She just smiled and worked with him, as if he were the one with a disability. He felt useless and retarded. He could barely remember he was supposed to be string the cooking noodles.

Gasping he turned to the pot and stopped at Ellie stirring it with one hand as she added another spice to the sauce.

Letting his shoulders drop defeated he moved to the kitchen table with the others and slumped in his seat. Jim patted his down cast friend shoulder and gave him a reassuring smile.

“It’s okay man.” Jim smiled. Travis’s frowned deepened.

“Tommy and Jeremy are doing a better job at helping her.” Travis grumbled glancing at Tommy and Jeremy elegantly shredding cheese and making a show out of it.

“Yeah but they’re fat.” Erik countered. Travis sighed.

“I eat twice as much as them, I just work out.” The group nodded. Travis did eat a lot. If he wasn’t on his bike or in the gym he was in the kitchen eating whatever he could make up before his A.D.D. kicked in and he moved onto the next thing to either eat, or try and conquer.

Ellie turned towards Jeremy and Tommy and frowned. They were taking twice as long as needed to shred the cheese. Snapping several times she lifted a hand confused. The two smiled sheepishly and went back to shredding like a normal person would. Smiling she shook her head.

“See.” Travis waved his hand annoyed. “They’re doing better than I am!” The group looked at Ellie snapping at them. She simply pointing at Travis and shrugged. Sighing he shrugged back. “I’m no good at cooking.” He pouted. Ellie smiled at him and waved him over. “I’ll ruin it!” He added.

Putting the lid on the sauce and noodles she walked over to him and grabbed his hand. Groaning he let her drag him across the kitchen to the stove. Travis glared over at his shoulder at his scoffing father.

Ellie picked up something, Travis just knew it was leafy and green. She bunched them up on the cutting board and lifted the knife handing it to him. Travis groaned again, he was going to lose a finger.

She gently placed her hands over his, helping him hold and move the knife. Smiling up at him he smiled down at her. Their hands made smooth, easy cuts into the green leaves, dicing them up into small pieces before she pulled back telling Travis to put it in the sauce by simply pointing and lifting the lid.

Slowly scooping the chopped up leaves he glanced at Ellie who nodded at him. Dropping them in the pot he glanced back up at her, terrified he’d just ruined dinner. The rest of the room watched silently as she held up the wooden spoon to him.

To the rest of Nitro Circus, this was amazing. Travis Pastrana, the Golden Boy, a pioneer of modern day motocross and freestyle riding, the man that could and can do everything…but cook. They’d never seen Travis flounder and fumbled with anything. This was like gold.

All of his friends watching just over their phones, recording the event. They were sending this everyone they knew. EVERYONE! Jolene was even going to send it to Travis’s mom atleast three times so she understood the event that had unfolded. Debbie, Travis’s mother, would die laughing.

“Stir it?” He questioned slowly, getting a wide, amused smile and a slow head nod. “oh-okay.” He gently began stirring it. He’d never been so nervous about making dinner…then again he really only ate anything that went in the microwave.

“Wow, you can double-back-flip and you’re not afraid of death-defying tricks but you’re horrified and terrified of cooking?” Andy laughed. Travis glared at his friend before going back to the cooking pot before him. Instantly he did a double take taking note of the phones out silent swears leaving his lips.

Andy’s laughter grew as Travis squeaked loudly at Ellie adding cream cheese to the sauce. He would have jumped back had she not been standing behind him, prepared for the reaction. Her hand circled over his helping him to start stirring again.

“Wow…” Jolene laughed. Robert huffed.

“Cooking’s not a manly thing, it makes sense that Travis doesn’t know how.” Robert defended his son. “It’s a woman’s job, that’s why she should be doing it her self.” Travis glared at his dad who just couldn’t let it Ellie be.

“Stop it dad, or I’ll ask you to leave.” Travis snapped. He jumped as Ellie poked him making him squeak. She pointed back at the pot then pointed at the drained shells. “oh are we done?” She shrugged and bobbed her head before pointing at Tommy and Jeremy still messing with the some cheese. Laughing he nodded and stepped back letting her work, not knowing what was next.

Laughing softly she rolled her eyes and picked up the pot, turning off the stove top and moved to the pasta cooling in the large bowl.

Stepping back several minutes later she waved her hand at the finished meal and smiled. The group eagerly served themselves and sat down eyeing it. Not only did it smell heavenly but she made it look flawless. Tommy gave a thumbs-up before taking a bite and slowly melting in his seat as he chewed.

“Oh my god.” He mumbled through a full mouth full. Smiling up at the girl he swallowed. “I love you.” Travis glared at him before taking a bite, mulling the food through his mouth, feeling the exact same way. She was a perfect cook.

She ate, not noticing what the others did. She was use to her own cooking, it tasted fine to her, but nothing heavenly. Ellie froze as Tommy and Jim hugged her from around Travis. Travis’s simply laughed and pushed them away.

“What do you have to say about this dad?” Travis questioned as he leaned back eating slowly, hoping Ellie wouldn’t notice the conversation, yet he wanted her to see him defend her.

Robert glanced up at his son and shrugged lightly poking at the food. Travis frowned.

“You know it’s good. Just let your ego go.” Travis sighed placing his arm around Ellie’s shoulder and leaning down towards her. Slowly signing a thank-you he smiled at her quick response of ‘you’re welcome.’
♠ ♠ ♠
:]