Falling on Dead Ears

Home away from Home

Travis draped his arm around my shoulders and yawned, using me as a leaning post. Snaking my arm around his waist I patted his side, trying to sooth the tired giant. He smiled down at me as we waited in line.

Five am, Texas airport with a bunch of adrenaline junkies that had only passed out fours hours ago and refused to even take a sip of coffee was interesting. Special Greg, Erik Roner, and Jim DeChamp were leaning on one another as they slept their bags on opposite side of them as support beams like they’d done this balancing act a million times. Jolene was leaning on Tommy, whose massive rounded upper body weight seemed to keep his sleeping form well balanced as he barely leaned on his luggage. Godfrey and Jeremy seemed to be the only ones half awake as they stood at the front of the group.

My head turned to Andy stumbling a few times as his head dropped. It looked like I’d taken his leaning post buddy. Reaching out I grabbed his hand tugging him closer and wrapped my arm around his waist. His head instantly rested again Travis’s as both of them leaned on me.

I was stuck in an ‘oh shit’ moment it seemed like. We swayed a few times before they found their rhythm and stayed perfectly up right on their own simply leaving me stuck between them.

Pursing my lips I watched as everyone moved forward. Taking a deep breath I poked both men’s sides and watched them jumped away from me startled. The rest of the group seemed to wake up from it as well. I watched Andy rub his side and glare as me as Travis simply pouted that he’d been woken up.

Waving my hands the group turned and began moving forward in the ridiculously long line for five am. And that’s how it went. Every couple of minutes I’d have only poke Andy and he’d yelled in surprise thus waking everyone else, we’d move up in line a couple of people and the group would doze back off to sleep and we’d repeat the process. Andy seemed think I was trying to kill him by the time we were checked in despite the fact I barely touched him, he insisted that I was trying to dig my finger into his intestines.

The plane ride wasn’t much different. The second everyone was in there seats, buckled in, things in the over-head compartments, and adjusted to their liking they were out like lights.

I smiled softly at Travis. His head rested against the window, hat pulled down over his eyes, head phones in to block out all sound and a sweater thrown over his upper torso like a blanket. My smile grew as I reached over removing the drool slowly slipping down his chin. He looked so at peace that it was ridiculous. He didn’t even flinch when I removed the drool, not even in the smallest bit.

My eyes fell to the others. All off them seemed to be the same as they slept. Plane rides must have been where they got some of their best sleep because everything seemed far too perfect for them in their coach seats surrounded by a bunch of strangers and their heads in dream land.

Waving my hands I shook them at the flight attendant as she began to proud Special Greg. The kid was nice if you didn’t wake him up. The flight attendant would probably end up with her head bitten off if she succeeded in waking him with out throwing a hot breakfast under his nose to make up for it.

He needs to move his foot.’ She stated. Nodding I got up and moved it for him. Like it was that hard of a task to do. I know the kid has feet the size of Canada but they’re not that heavy or hard to move. ‘Thank you.’ nodding I moved back to my seat and buckled back in.

My head shifted to Travis as he pushed his arms out, grabbing the sweater tossed over him and pulling it back. Smiling at the action I leaned my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes. Suddenly I wished, if I put my head to his chest, that I could hear his steady beating heart beat.

A frown etched its way onto my features as I shifted my head against his broad shoulder.

Pushing him I frowned as I got nothing. Huffing I ripped his head phones out and watched his face twist with disgust. Nodding I turned to the others doing the same. A few seemed to protest the action as I watched them. Clapping I waved my hands and pointed to the half empty plane.

Reluctantly they all got up, grabbed their things and shuffled out of the plane with me and lead the way through the terminal to baggage claim. It was there I was attacked.

Freezing at the arms locked around my torso and the bushel of curly brown hair in my face I swallowed nervously as they hugged me tighter then pushed me at arms lengths. She had a bright smile, shining brown eyes and a caring, worry worn face.

I’m Debbie.’ She smiled. Quickly I signed my name and watched as she stared at my utterly baffled. ‘Excuse me?’ She whispered.

Squeaking my body mass shifted to the right and straight into another body. Looking up Travis smiled at the woman as he held me tightly against his side.

Her name’s Ellie mom. I told you this.’ He smiled. My eyes sifted back to the woman. That was his mother. She blinked and nodded.

What’s with the hand movement?’ I glanced back up at Travis.

She’s deaf mom. We had this conversation. Remember?’ His chest shook as he laughed. Swallowing I glanced back at her, waiting for her reaction. Terrified she’d react like Robert had.

Oh…I’m sorry. I forgot. I guess I was so surprised that she’s real it slipped my mind.’ She waved hand lightly as she reached back out. Travis turned, hiding me for his own mother.

No.’ He pouted. ‘You don’t get to see her after that comment. That was mean. I will not subject her to your cruelty.’ His chest shook lightly as he tried to push his smile away. Slapping his chest I pointed at him ‘See what you’ve done mom! She’s already turning on me!’ his bottom lip jutted out as I rolled my eyes and smiled at her from around his broad chest. She smiled back just as wide.

I’m sorry Travis, but you having a girlfriend is rare so I was a bit surprised to see her with you at first. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be mean. Can I see her?’ She asked softly. My eyes darted up to Travis as he pursed his lips in fake thought. It was like I was an item.

Hey, fat man!’ Travis snapped as his head turned to Andy. Blinking I followed his gaze and the rest of the guys laughing as Jolene began to beat them with her silver purse. ‘Be nice! No one wants to hear from you!

Spinning at the tug to my arm I smiled at his mother. She tugged me away from her son and pushed me behind her as Travis spun around startled. He frowned but didn’t say anything as Debbie held me at arms length.