Falling on Dead Ears

Grew a Pair?

“You guys suck!” Tommy huffed as the whole group entered the kitchen twenty minutes later.

“Who the hell let you guys out?” Travis mumbled as he glanced over at Jolene.

“I use to hang sheet rock for a living dude. You don’t think I can’t bust out of a closet? Ha! ... It just takes some time.” He huffed grabbing an already set up plate and sat down. Travis laughed and shrugged and stood up washing his dish a bit before letting it rest in the silver basin.

The group ignored Travis and Ellie talking by the sink. They were use to seeing the two have endless conversations with out saying a single word. Debbie on the other hand was amazed her son had actually found the attention span to learn another language and not any language but a physical one. She smiled at the two talking silently yet so boldly to the other.

“When did he learn sign language?” Debbie whispered to Jim on her left. Jim looked up, mouth full of food.

“Uh…he started,” Jim swallowed. “Sorry. He started after the first day he met her. You should’ve seen his face after he finally learned her name. Priceless.” He waved his hand in front of him. “Wish I’d taken a picture.”

“You don’t half to. He gets the same dopey grin on his face after she kisses him.” Andy stated. Debbie blinked startled.

“It’s not the same though. He actually looked like this love sick puppy who found his purpose in life. Now he’s just a love sick puppy.” Jim grumbled. “She needs to make a strawberry pie. That sounds awesome.” He added thinking about. “Think about it. We’ve never once had the same flavor of pie so far.” The group paused. Travis and Ellie were paying as much attention to the group as they were to them.

“She’s only baked three so far Jim. Calm down.” Jolene laughs. “Besides, I think peach is next.”

Debbie leaned back as they began to argue and place bets on the next flavor of pie Ellie would make. No indication of when, just what kind. Debbie looked down at the cherry pie on her plate that still remained untouched before scooping a piece up on her spoon. It took one bite for her to understand the groups’ enthusiastic antics about Ellie’s cooking, and put Debbie into a world a shame that a small woman half her age could cook better than her. She’d have to ask for the recipe.

Her eyes drifted up to Ellie and Travis still talking. She’d never seen Travis happier, not after winning any competition or landing any trick. He looked like he’d found gold as he talked with her. She was proud of him.

The whole room froze startled, other than Ellie who looked between them all, confused not having heard the loud bang. Ellie tugged on Travis’s shirt as he stared out the kitchen doorway. He gently grabbed her upper arm and put her behind him while reaching out for one of the unclean knives next to the sink.

“Hello?” he called, palming the blade.

“God damn it Travis!” Robert’s voice rang out. “Do you just have to leave everything just lying’ around? I could’ve killed myself!” He hollered as Travis let go of the blade and sighed.

Smiling Travis turned to Ellie and hugged her, his silent way of letting her know it was okay. Nodding she hugged him tightly and kissed his chest trying to sooth him.

Robert entered the kitchen with a scowl.

“I couldn’t get rid of her.” He huffed as he stood in the doorway.

“Who?” The whole group questioned slowly. Then it happened the squeaky voice filled the house as she gasped in pain. “Her?!” They all yelled.

“You let her in my house?” Travis hissed at his dad.

“No and I even locked the damn door.” Robert huffed. “Do you know what it’s like sitting on a plane next to her is like?” He gushed. “And to think I liked her.” He grumbled passing his son. “Hey sweetheart.” He mumbled dully as he patted Ellie’s head.

Travis turned her away from his father as Robert sat at the table.

“Who are you and what’ve you done with my dad?” Travis hissed as Ellie blinked startled at what’d just happed. Robert had never been nice to her. Sure he’d never been completely vicious or horrible with her but he was never … nice.

“I shush.” Robert huffed as put a fork full of food in his mouth. “Just get rid of her.” He added sourly.

“Get…get…you brought her!” Travis snapped as his friend decided to go eat outside, each person taking a tray of food and rushing outside to avoid the mentioned woman.

“I didn’t think she was on the same flight as me! I didn’t even think she was coming back!” Robert huffed. “She wasn’t supposed to come back here.” He pointed at the table, his spot.

Groaning Travis tucked Ellie into his chest deciding if he should start palming the dirty blade on the kitchen counter to his right or not. It was after all, a crazy psycho waltzing through his house.

“Jesus Robert.” Robert groaned, stood, and decided he’d go outside with the others. “What crawled up his ass and died.” The small blonde woman hissed at the closing side door.

Travis swallowed and tenderly reached out, palming the blade once more as Ellie coward into his chest. He’d never attacked anyone before, hell he’d probably only been in two fights and that was while he was in middle school. He still couldn’t throw a good punch even if he wanted to, let alone probably stab someone. But Liz, Liz just might be the person to make Travis Pastrana into a murderer. Though his reasons would be just.

“Liz, sweetheart.” Debbie stood up with a small smile.

“Hey there momma bear.” Liz chirped happily. Debbie flinched. She’d never liked that.

“Can I talk to you in the living room?” Debbie stated.

Travis let go of the blade and hugged Ellie close to his chest kissing the top of her head and rubbing her back soothingly. There was no way he was letting her go or out of his sight till Liz was long gone; even if it meant sitting in the bathroom with her while she peed.

Ellie glanced up at him and tenderly kissed his lips. He smiled and kissed her back. She didn’t want to let him go. Hell she’d hold her bladder or any other urges if she had to just to stay attached to his side while Liz was in the house.

“Let’s go outside.” Travis stated softly.

Ellie nodded eagerly as Travis placed a hand on the small of her back leading her outside, but not before grabbing the mashed potatoes someone seemed to have forgotten.

The group cheered as the two exited, but Travis was sure it was either: A- they’d come out alive, or B- they noticed Travis came bearing more food. He was sure it was both since he needed to come out alive with the food.

Ellie laughed gently at the warm greeting and took a seat around the large glass table. Everyone was talking and laughing loudly. It was hard for her to keep up with so much conversation floating around, but she did her best and even kept up with most of it.

The group turned looking at the back door opened and Liz stormed out. She grabbed Travis’s arm and tugged.

“We need to talk.” She hissed. Travis swallowed nervously.

“About?” He asked trying to hold onto his balls and what little confidence he had.

“Us.” She hissed.

“There is no us and you need to leave.” He stated back strongly.

“Travis Alan Pastrana.” She growled. Sighing he leaned back in his seat and looked away from her. “I’m not kidding.” She hissed.

“If you’re not gone in five minutes Liz. I’m callin’ the cops.” He mused, glancing back at her. The group around the two had gone silent, watching waiting. “I’m not kidding.” He added at her stunned face.

“You’re an ass.” She whispered darkly. Travis sighed.

“You’re crazy. What makes you think I’m going to let you stay here after I broke up with you because you’re crazy and, and!” He pointed. “You beat up my current girlfriend.”

“You can’t prove that.” Liz smirked.

“How about I call Ken since he pulled you off her.” Liz glared. “Go home, back to where ever you’re from…like Pluto or the sun, and leave me, my friends, my family, and most importantly my girlfriend alone.” He stated before facing forward so he didn’t have to look at her, so she didn’t have to see him sweat. Liz would easily break his neck or slit his throat for saying that.

“You’re ass you know that.”

“Yup.” He sighed, picking up Andy’s beer and taking a sip to calm his nerves. Ellie reached over touching his arm, confused on what had just been said. She’d miss Travis’s whole side due to the angle of his head.

Smiling he leaned over and kissed her temple, trying to calm her even if he was digging himself a bigger grave.

“Fine. But don’t think I’m done with you Pastrana.” Travis waved his hand in the air lightly, trying to show he didn’t care despite the fact his ball had just shrunk to the size of pin-heads.

The back door slammed as Liz exited and the group began to cheer, smacking Travis on the head or the shoulder, applauding his manliness. Laughing nervously he swatted them away as he pulled Ellie from her seat into his lap for protection.

“Leave me be!” He chuckled moving Ellie back and force as barely audible giggles left her lips, swatting their friends away as well.