Falling on Dead Ears

Check to check all

I stood around and nibbled my lip as Hubert smiled at me and stuck the white board out for Travis. He was currently in second, just behind Adam Jones who was-according to the announcers and Hubert- tearing up the track. The race was of a bunch of huge Moto stars for different charities.

I don’t think he’s going to win this one.’ Hubert stated at me as I watched him. Glancing up to the large screen showing the whole race corner for corner and sighed.

Snatching the white board from Hubert I held my hand out for the marker. Slowly he handed it over as I erased what was written on it. Sighing I looked up at the screen not sure when Travis was going to be coming back around or not and quickly scribbled onto the board.

’Ere ‘ee comes.

Stepping up to the line I peered out at the corner he would come flying around. Adam Jones came around the curve and I stuck the board out when I barely saw the front tire of Travis’s yellow bike.

As he went flying by I lowered the board and looked back at the screen. Glancing over at Hubert I sighed gently and glanced back at the screen.

What’d you put on there?’ Hubert asked as I turned to look at him. Lifting the board I showed him the three words I’d written on the slick white surface.

“Relax and Breath.”

Hubert simply nodded. In the end Travis still came in second, yet a smile was plastered on his face as he rubbed in it Bilko’s face. Adam Jones had come in first with a five second lead, Travis in second ahead of Bilko by twenty-five seconds, and Bilko in front of Brian Deegan, James Stewart, Mike Metzger, Josh Grant-who fell twice, Ryan Dungey, Todd Potter, Mike Mason, and lastly Ronnie Renner who’d basically whistled his whole way through the race in first gear. And that was only one of the races, there were many to follow and many other riders’ to compete.

I shook my head as Renner tackled Jones off the podium. Cringing as they hit the ground and accidently took out Ken Block walking up behind them as he held one of the charity checks for Adam to take and hold up.

Covering my mouth I waited for all three of them to stand up as everyone pointed and laughed, as well as Travis who nearly fell over he was laughing so hard. Turning to Hubert I stopped watching as he toppled to the ground laughing. Rolling my eyes I glanced back at the podium.

Adam Jones climbed back up holding Ken Block’s check and raised it in the air, yelling something I couldn’t decipher. Yet everyone began clapping at what it was. Ken got up slowly from behind him as Ronnie Renner could be seen rolling with laughter behind him.

Some days I wondered how I knew some of these people.

My eyes lingered on Travis as he smiled and clapped, Ken block handing him a smaller check. Raising it Travis smiled at the camera. Ken then moved down to Bilko and reached into his back pocket pulling out what had to be the smallest check known to man. Travis patted Bilko’s shoulder as they all seemed to cheer and raise the money they’d earned for charity.

Clapping I watched as they left their podiums with wide smiles. Hubert cleaned up his stuff quickly and led the way back to Travis tent. Two more charity races were to follow then a series of freestyle events for two or so hours which were going to be followed by more charity races.

Smiling at Travis I watched as he ran a towel over his face aggressively, as if he was trying to scrub his face off with the plush white towel. I waited till he stopped and pouted at me.

I didn’t win.’ He stated simply. Shrugging I wandered over and took his hand smiling. ‘Don’t shrug at me, I lost!

Laughing I shook my head, pointing out the Renner had in fact lost with atleast five or more minutes of space between himself and Travis.

But I didn’t win.’ He pouted while sitting down slowly, extending his bad knee.

You don’t always have to win. Sometimes it’s the thought that counts and the effort you put in that makes you a winner. I pointed out.

Travis stared at me blankly.

How do I know?’ He teased, a smile linger on his thin lips.

Gasping I reached over swatting at him playfully. His hand grabbed mine and tugged me closer. Stumbling, I landing in his lap with a giggle as his smile grew wider.

Why I hello.’ Raising my brows at him I waited for him to go on, waiting for the cheesy pick up line of some kind he was potentially going to throw in my face. ‘I got nothing else…’ He shrugged childishly. I couldn’t help but laugh and pat his cheek gently.

That was how the rest of the night went. Travis competed and began throwing out cheesy line and quoting movies at the most random times. Apparently while giving an interview he’d quoted different lines from DOGMA through the whole thing, according to Jolene and Jim. I couldn’t following his lip movements from the distance I’d been at, but from his childish grin I knew he wasn’t giving real answers.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm thinking about expanding on my one shot 'Swap Around'
I like the idea of writting about Travis as a father, think I should do it?
P.S. Thanks for reading and commenting. It means bunches to me. :D
You're all awesome!