Falling on Dead Ears

Assumptions

Wandering around slowly Ellie let her hands dance over the plants as she tried to process what she was going to do about the situation. She hadn’t seen, well, she hadn’t been in the same room as Travis for four day. Technically only the first two days she completely avoided him. But the past two she’d been watching him for a distance hoping the answer to this problem would be written on his forehead or knee brace.

She couldn’t tell if his was upset she wasn’t around, or if he was just tired. He spent most of his days, as early as six in the morning, and nights there, as late as one in the morning. It was possible he was only sleep deprived, but if he wasn’t upset and thought nothing was truthfully wrong and she was over reacting wouldn’t he have jumped on a bike? Wouldn’t Derek have showed up to coax him into riding?

Sighing she lifted her eyes to him. Why was he constantly looking over his shoulder? It didn’t make sense to her! What was so important in the house? If something was going on in there wouldn’t he be in there as well?

Her eyes shifted to the movement on the right side of the house.

Jim climbed the deck steps smiling at his friend as he glanced down the hill, waving at her before sitting down and getting Travis’s attention finally.

Stepping back into the foliage Ellie bit her lip. She didn’t have any friends to talk to, she didn’t have anyone to her hard to hear words. Never once in her life had this truly bothered her other than has a small child, but now. Now she felt completely alone. She was used to talking to Travis, having him understand like no one else she’d ever met. She didn’t have Travis at the moment thought. She couldn’t go to him and ask for his advice on the subject, he was the subject.

Heading towards the large garage she didn’t look over her shoulder once. No one was out there so there was no point. Besides Travis wouldn’t check the garage for her, it was his place of zen not hers and he was avoiding it.

Pushing through the slightly cracked door she took in the dark sight before her. Only a little light drifted down through the small sun roofs in a few corners of the place and filtered in through the wedge of the open doorway.

Tip-toeing to the large RV she climbed inside. A frown etched on her face as she moved back to the bunk her and Travis had once shared on the road. It smelled like him.

Hugging the pillow she tried to think of all the things that could happen if she was to just walk back into the house; right up to Travis. What would happen? Would he yell more? Tell her to get out despite the fact she loved him and had no where to go?

Sighing she shook her head. Her being in love with him probably wouldn’t matter to him if he didn’t love her back. And if he loved her back he’d understand why she’d run off and everything would be okay.

The curtain moved causing her to jump and scream. Jim leaned down to her with a sad, knowing smile. Slapping her hand over her racing heart she swallowed nervously at him. He hadn’t brought Travis had he? She wasn’t ready to see him yet.

Hiding are you?’ Ellie meekly nodded. ‘He’s inside with his mom.’ He added seeing her worried face. ‘why are you hiding?’ Sitting in the bunk he watched her confused.

He could see this working out a lot like the group was trying to get them to say ‘I love you’ to each other. Hopefully with would go a lot quicker and smoother. The two were completely different yet when it came to each other exactly the same: Shy, scared, nervous, insanely happy, and terrified of the others reaction.

He’s mad at me. She stated weakly. Her hands moved slowly to form the words she couldn’t get off her tongue.

Jim shook his head.

He’s not mad at you, he’s mad a Derek.’ Jim stated simply trying to sign as best her could. Ellie ignored his hands and watched his mouth knowing the only people worse than Jim at sign language were Godfrey and Jeremy. They were the guys wanting to say ‘That’s a nice dress’ and signed ‘I fucked your goat’. ‘He’s worried about you. He asked me if I could watch over his shoulder for you.’ Ellie frowned confused. ‘He figured you had to go to the kitchen at some point to eat so he’s been watching it like a hawk.

Her mouth floundered at the information. There wasn’t anything interesting in the house for him to watch, he was waiting for her.

Covering her mouth she sat up a bit more as tears slowly rolled down her cheeks.

Don’t cry! Don’t cry! Okay fine cry just don’t tell Travis you did!

What? She choked out.

He’ll throw himself down the hill or beat himself senseless if he finds out he made you cry.’ Jim swallowed nervously as he licked his lips. The things Travis would do to himself if he found out that he made Ellie cry. ‘He hates when you’re upset let alone if he’s the one that made you upset. So don’t tell him.’ Jim laughed gently. Ellie nodded weakly still confused.

I don’t know what to do.

Talk to him

Biting her bottom lip she sat up right and let out a deep breath. Processing everything was a daunting task with the lack of real food and sleep, it was like trying to pull a truck.

Jim touched her cheek gently, catching her attention, and gave a weak wary smile. Licking his lips he heaved a heavy sigh.

When you’re ready, but please,’ looking away he gave a gentle bob of his head to the right. ‘Don’t take forever. I don’t think either one of your hearts could take it.’ with that Jim stood up and wandered out of the bus, leaving Ellie completely and utterly lost.

When had Jim turned into Dr. Phil?

Floundering and reeling with her thoughts Ellie snuggled down the sheets trying to process everything happening around her. Did Jim know something she didn’t? Why would Travis watch for her? Sure, she’d watch for him but that was because she was helplessly in love with him. Did that mean…

Sitting up slowly she pulled at her bottom lip nervously. Her heart was pounding in her ears and her stomach tightened with nervous joy.

Did that mean he loved her too?