Falling on Dead Ears

Running

I stood there shocked that he was standing in the kitchen, Travis’s back momentarily blocking my father from view. My heart was beating rapidly in my ears as my mind tried to understand how they’d found me. It’d been years since I’d seen them or even stayed in one place long enough for them to stop by.

Everything paused as my mind found one thing that could’ve given me away. The place I’d meet Travis. Though my Aunt had agreed not to give my father a call when I’d showed up and been surprised that both my aunt and uncle were there. But that was a few weeks before I’d meet or even known of Travis’s existence.

The blur of movement in my peripheral vision caused me to look over at the one human being I’d hoped to never see again. He stood there glaring at me, hands moving. Turning a blind eye to him I began backing up watching as Travis and my father seemed to be sharing heated words.

With out thinking I spun around pulling open the back door rushing out of the house. My bare feet began digging into the damp grass of the early morning as I pushed myself towards the line of trees not to far off. The cool air of the early morning began to nip at my warm skin and burn the middle of my of my chest as I sucked in deep lung fulls.

Swatting at the damp leaves and pushing my feet into the coarse dirt that gave life to Travis’s desires I nearly stumbled. But with each step I took I knew exactly where I was going. Having fought with Travis and spent most of my time in the forest I could navigate it quite easily.

Pausing my gaze turned to the forest around me, in the direction of the house. Sinking to my knees my hands gripped my burning chest. There wasn’t a lot I could do at this point. I wasn’t going back to the house that was for sure, not even if my life depended on it. I’d sooner face Liz then face them.

Sinking further into the dirt I pulled my knees to my chest, wrapping my arms around them and hugging both limbs as close to my chest as possible. A small hope in me wished the weatherman was wrong for the day and the temperature would rise. Letting my head fall to my knees I let out a deep breath, trying to figure out how to handle the situation.

I don’t know how long I sat there but the shifting of dirt around my feet made my head lift. Slowly lifting my eyes I felt the tension in my shoulders vanish as the man kneeling before me.

Don’t do that again.” His breath hit my face gently as her hands took my shoulders and began rubbing them. “You scared the hell out of me.” Travis’s frown deepened.

Muttering a sorry I licked my lips nervously.

Why’d you run?” He asked gently.

Glancing down at my knees I slowly let them fall into a folded criss-cross as I tried to find away to explain myself. It was something I’d hoped Travis would never have to deal with, that neither one of us would ever have to deal with.

His fingers gently tapped under my chin, his silent and caring way to get me to look at him.

Lifting my eyes to meet his he gave me a sad smile.

Why did you run from your family?” He asked again. “Please I want to know what’s wrong. I want to help.

Explaining everything would take more time than we probably had.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading.