Falling on Dead Ears

Talking to Mom

“Where is my daughter?” Travis rolled his eyes as he put his bike away. “Mr. Pastrana.”

“Mr. Raymundo.” Travis mocked once his bike was on its stand. “I didn’t find her.” He asked heading back up the house.

“Then why aren’t you still looking?” The boy barked. Travis turned facing the man, towering over him, and glared.

“Because I know Ellie. She has certain hiding places out in the woods. I checked them. She doesn’t want to be found by anyone, me included. If she doesn’t want to be found then I’ll give her the space she wants right now.” Travis turned around heading up the hill.

“She’ll leave and never come back.” The boy called.

“You clearly know the Ellie I know.” He called over his shoulder seeing the movement in the edgy of the woods.

Ellie was waiting for her moment to book it towards the open doors of the garage. Travis opened the door.

“If you wanna get lost out there, its a couple hundred acres, then,” Waving a hand he let it fall and slap against his thigh. “Then be my guest. I won’t come find you.” With that he slipped into the house.

“Mr. Pastrana?” Travis huffed but looked up at the soft voice. Ellie’s family had been up in his business all day long giving him no time to go to the RV and talk with Ellie. “Could we talk?” Travis licked his lips. Her mother and her younger brother had left him alone for the most part, only simple questions here or there.

“I don’t know where she is.” He breathed looking back down at his microwave dinner. Ellie had spoiled him with home cooked meals even on the road and now microwave dinner he used to love tasted like cardboard and sand.

“We both know that’s a lie.” He lifted his gaze back to her. “I’m her mother and I can tell you love her.” She whispered softly. “You love her enough that if you hadn’t found her earlier you wouldn’t have stopped looking. My husband and Juan may be blind but I’m not. And for the record I’m sorry for the trouble their causing. Bernard only wants what’s best for her, but he thinks what’s best for her is Juan.” Travis’s attention was caught. Looking up at her he narrowed her brows. “I’m not surprised she hasn’t told you she’s been running form this since she was ten.” She laughed. Travis frowned. “Bernard and Juan’s father made an arranged marriage for the two of them against my wishes.” She huffed annoyed. “Ellie’s never liked Juan. The second she turned sixteen she came here with her dual citizenship and we haven’t heard from her since. She’s been running for him and their wedding. Bernard only did what he thought was best for her with his lack of hearing.” Travis blinked. “Their technically engaged, but that doesn’t mean anything to her or anyone if they haven’t talked in over eight plus years.” Licking her lips she folded her hands. “I’m not telling you to let her go and let us come home with us, I’m not. I think you’re what’s best for her.” Travis smiled at her. “But I do ask that I get to see my daughter on occasion. I love her, I miss my little girl.” She smiled. Travis took notice that her hands moved as she spoke, signing her words.

“Mrs. Raymundo, why are you telling me this?” She looked up at him with a gentle smile. She was just as soft and quite as her daughter.

“I don’t want her with Juan. He’s a horrible human being but he and his asshole of a father have Bernard convinced Juan is the only man that’ll be with Ellie. All Juan wants his her body and a trophy wife that can’t talk to the public and makes him seem like a more caring human being has he works up the political ladder. In turn I want you to prove that you are what’s best for my daughter by being you and treating her how you usually do everyday and I’d like you, if possible,” Licking her lips she stared at him pointedly. “Quite literally, run him over.” With that she stood up leaving the room.

Travis blinked stunned. She was a lot like Ellie. Quite, sweet, and had a hard heavy hand if she needed to be strict and knew how to get her way with it. The woman probably didn’t take no as an answer.

“Mr. Pastrana.” Mr. Raymundo breathed as he reentered the room. “I don’t think you understand the situation.”

“Your wife runs the house doesn’t she?” Travis asked stunning the man.

“Yes, she does…” He whispered confused. Humming Travis nodded going back to his meal, poking it with his fork. “Why do you ask?” He mused slowly, crossing the room toward Travis.

“She’s like Ellie.” Mr. Raymundo frowned. “She’s quite and kind, but she scares the shit out of me sometimes.”

“Have you talked to my wife?”

“Well, she just did the talking. You missed her by thirty seconds.” Taking a bite of his food he choked it down knowing he’d be cranky in the morning if he didn’t. “She wants me to run…Juan,” he paused. “Over. I might do it because she didn’t make it sound like I had a choice and I really don’t like that prick.”

“Mr. Pastrana, please. He’s the only man I know that’ll be with her.”

“I’m with her. I love her.” Travis stressed every word.

“Then why aren’t you out looking for her?” He demanded. Travis just stated at him. “You know where she is.”

“I wouldn’t have come in if I didn’t.” He sighed choking down more of his dinner.

“Where is she?”

“Why would I tell you? She ran from you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Does that clear things up, or no?
And yes, I like watching you squirm. Makes me smile. :]
Thanks for reading and commenting by the way.
That makes me smile too. :]