Falling on Dead Ears

Blessings

“Where is she?” Travis didn’t even flinch at the yelling directed at him, he more than was use to it by now. He also understood how Ellie had probably lost her hearing. “I’m demanding of you, you…thing!” Juan shot. Travis simply looked up at the remark.

“Wow, I’m down to thing. What happened to all the creative insults you had? All run out?” Travis asked casually. Crossing his arms he waited for another insult, he was turning this into a game. He knew Ellie was safe. After two days he’d moved her to Andy’s house in Utah and talked to her constantly via text message. No point in calling a deaf person.

Travis missed having Ellie around though. A month with out Ellie to hold and have to take care of and make sure she was safe was killing him. That and a good one cooked mean once a month wouldn’t do him harm, he couldn’t believe that at one point he’d survived of hot pockets, microwave pizza’s, and other frozen assorted goods.

“Mr. Pastrana…” Spinning on the kitchen stood he looked at Mrs. Raymundo standing in the kitchen doorway with a worried look.

“She’s still fine. If she wasn’t, I wouldn’t be here this calm.” With a smile she nodded leaving him be. That’s how his relationship with her went, she would ask, he would answer, and then they’d go their separate ways.

Ellie glanced around Andy’s house. It wasn’t home and she still felt so out of place despite the fact it was Andy’s house with Andy. He told her constantly to do what she wanted, but she couldn’t. It wasn’t her space to do so.

Pacing she watched her phone waiting for a new text message from Travis. This was ridiculous. She couldn’t go home or see the man she loved because of her family. How was that even possible? Or even right in the universe?

Andy was simply watching her, he’d admitted to finding her antics amusing. He liked watching her pace and move little things for him before stopping realizing she wasn’t home, watching her phone and signing to herself.

“Sir.” Travis asked gently sitting in the living room with Mr. Raymundo sat working on something. The man barely looked up at him in acknowledgment so Travis sat across from him and licked his lips nervously. “Sir,” This time Mr. Raymundo sat up and looked at him with slightly irritated eyes. “I’d like to,” He stopped as Juan stalked into the room yelling an insult in Spanish “I’d like to ask for your blessing and permission to marry your daughter.” Travis watched as Juan nearly fell over and MR Raymundo’s eyes bugged. “I know I’m not who you see her to be with but I love her, deafness and all. I’m going crazy knowing she’s not here because of Juan, No matter how safe I know she is I want to be the one keeping her safe. So sir, I’d like your blessing.” He nodded his head to show he was done and wanted an answer.

Mr. Raymundo only pursed his lips and leaned back in his seat. Travis let out a deep breath and rolled his jaw.

“You can either give us your blessing, or not. Either way,” Travis stood up and smoothed down his pants with tall shoulders and a head raised high. “I’m marrying your daughter, like it or not.” Turning to leave he stopped and looked back at Juan’s furious face. “Touch her, even once, and I’ll kill you.” With that Travis leave.

“Pastrana.” Travis stood at the doorway and looked back. “You have my blessing.” He spun stunned. Mr. Raymundo sat with a smile on his face. “I was wondering when you’d ask.” With that Mr. Raymundo went back to his paper work.

“Thank you sir.” Travis smiled as Juan began freaking out.