Dichotomy.

Panic, Meet the Press

The photoshoot has me and Spencer wearing our usual jackets and ties and Tina wearing a black pencil shirt with a white shirt and fitted and cropped black jacket that shows off just the right amount of skin.

She looks uncomfortable.

Not that it matters to me, of course.

Photo shoots are never not uncomfortable, in my experience, and she’ll have to get used to it.

The photographer calls for my attention and motions for me to lean in closer to her. I get a nose-full of her perfume that leaves me feeling dazed.

About ten more flashes of the camera and we’re done for the day. We shake hands with the photographer and leave.

“I’m about to meet Haley for drinks right now, if you guys want to come,” Spencer remarks, once we’re outside. I agree to come along only after Tina does, and Spencer flags down a taxi.

We get in the cab for a short drive to the bar not too far away and I sneak sideways glances at Tina.

She doesn’t notice.

And I’m still wondering why she freaked out the other night.

‘Again.’

What did she mean by “again?”

And where is Eric in all of this?

He’s pretty much dropped off the face of the earth as far as I know.

Although I shouldn’t be surprised, if I’m comparing it to mine and Kellie’s former relationship.

Thinking about the other night makes me think of how she always reacts when I ask about how she fucked up her old band and how she can never give me a straight answer.

It all clicks as soon as we exit the taxi and go inside to greet Haley.

I purposely slide into the booth beside her, a half-smile decorating my lips at my recent revelation.

After the first round of drinks, Haley and Spencer head to the dance floor in what is a poorly disguised conspiracy to leave me alone with Tina.

Not that I won’t take full advantage of this to confirm my realizations.

I allow her to act like I don’t exist for a few minutes.

“So, how long were you with Eric before your band broke up?” I ask tactlessly. She chokes on her daiquiri before she begins glaring daggers at me.

“What did you just say?” she almost growls, in a dangerously low tone. I see her fingers tighten around the glass and I know I’ve guessed correctly. Her hand is shaking, but I don’t know if it’s from anger or nerves that I’ve finally found her little secret out.

“You and Eric,” I venture. “It can’t have been long, since you were so touchy about it. I’m guessing he called it off first?” I continue, although I don’t know why I’m being such an asshole about this.

I don’t know what my little tirade will prove.

“That’s none of your business,” she hisses, eyes still narrowed.

“Just wondering,” I reply, in an annoyingly standoffish tone.

“Just wondering?” she snaps sardonically. “Wondering if that’ll increase your chances, or something?” she scowls sarcastically. “Don’t get your hopes up.”

I scowl back in annoyance, but her eyes don’t leave mine when she opens her mouth again.

“I bet you want to sleep with me right now, don’t you?”

The truth is…

I do.

Her hand creeps up my leg suddenly, lingering on my upper thigh evilly.

Just for the record, I did not foresee the conversation ending this way.

I bite my lip, staring straight ahead as she’s rubbing my leg slightly and I’m trying not to let it turn me on.

“So don’t fucking pretend you’re better than me,” she adds under her breath, massaging my leg lightly.

I’m too distractedly to reply and I stare straight ahead, trying to pretend she doesn’t exist.

Haley and Spencer return and she subtly takes her hand back. I breathe an inaudible sigh of relief.

That’s when Tina spots Tom at the bar and leaves the table, only returning to inform us that she’s leaving.

Leaving with Tom.

Haley and Spencer shoot me probing looks, surely questioning her sudden departure and my odd mood.

I order a round of shots.

Rewind to when ignorance was bliss.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks!!: a quarter and a kiss, ShawnieRiot, hello sunshine., & yeahthatsme93.

<3