I'm Not Okay (I Promise)

.o1.

Ugh. Another prep school. So far, it was exactly the same as the others I'd been kicked out of. Crawling with jocks and their chronically blonde girlfriends, enthusiastic people running rampant. The uniforms, the school spirit..so many things to hate about prep school. But the thing that cemented it in my mind as the root of all evil was the feeling of being well and completely alone, no matter how many people were around you. Lost in my depressed reverie, I didn't even notice when I walked straight into another guy, sending us both sprawling across the floor. He got up before I did, and offered me his hand. I waved it away and got up myself, trying to simultaneously pick up my own stuff and help him with his. Finally, we ended up sorted. Quickly, I snuck a look at him. He had long straight blondish hair and thick black framed glasses. He was wearing a beanie had and fingerless gloves under the sleeves of his blazer. I decided I liked him, and gave him a wary smile. He grinned back.
"I'm Mikey."
"Frank. I'm new..and lost. D'you have any idea where any of these classes are?" I asked, a bit desperate. Mikey took my schedule, glanced at it, and shook his head.
"These are all senior classes-I'm just a sophmore. But what I do know is that class is gonna end in about two minutes. I'm only here because I just cut and was heading to lunch."
For the first time, I noticed the empty halls around us. Relief and dread mixed in the pit of my stomach. Relief I missed a class, and dread that I'd have to sit alone at lunch that much sooner. Once again, Mikey snapped me out of a reverie.
"Since you're new, you have nobody to sit with, right?"
I nodded.
"You could sit with me and my friends if you want," he said cheerfully, already heading towards what I assumed was the cafeteria. Soon, we reached a courtyard-type place with a fountain, lots of shady trees, and kids sprawled everywhere. Mikey turned to me.
"You hungry?"
I shook my head.
"Nah, you?"
"No, we can just go straight there."
I followed him to a rather secluded corner of the courtyard place where two other guys were already sitting.
"Guys, this is Frank. He's new. Frank, this is Ray, Bob, and my brother Gerard."
Bob gave a quick smile, Ray a half wave. Gerard made as if to do the same, but our gazes somehow got stuck on each other.
He had dyed-looking black hair, bright eyes, pale skin, and delicate features. He was the prettiest guy I'd ever seen, helped by the fact that he was wearing nearly as much eyeliner as I was. It was only after I was done assesing him that I realized he'd been doing the same to me. By the time I managed to stutter out a hello, we'd been staring at each other for at least a minute and both Ray and Bob had on "what the fuck?" expressions. Mikey was smirking widely. The silence stretched for a while longer, until Bob randomly tackled Mikey and the guys were off being insane, leaving me to blush and sneak looks at Gerard in silence.