I'm Not Okay (I Promise)

.1o.

I drive home in a daze.
Did I really just go on a date with Frank Iero?
God, I hope so.
I can't keep it to myself for much longer. When I get home, I vow to tell Mikey, although he's probably had it figured out for a while.
When I pull into the driveway, there's a light on in the kitchen, and since Aunt Kathryn goes to bed early, it's definitely him.
I step through the door, and the first thing I see is Mikey wearing black plaid pajama pants and no shirt, eating Lucky Charms and watching Cartoon Network. When he hears me entering the room, he fixes me with his most forlorn stare.
"Gee, where were you all day?"
Cue sudden, all-consuming guilt. How could I have left my baby brother, who had gotten kicked out of his own house by his own mother because of something I did, alone all day with nothing to do but wallow?
Clearly, I am a horrible person. I go over to the couch where he's sitting and rest my head on his bare shoulder.
"I'm really sorry Mikey, it's just..I was on a date. With Frank."
Forgetting his upsetness for a moment, he grins at me.
"Took you long enough! So what happened? Did you guys make out or what?"
I blush a little and smack him on the arm.
"Maybe. But seriously, you don't mind? I'm really sorry about the..the thing with Mom.."
"How could I mind? With you guys, it was like..love at first sight. I was pretty torn up at first about Mom, but I'll get over it, you know?"
I nod gratefully. He yawns and settles in closer to me.
"So what are you telling Ray and Bob?"
"I dunno, I was worrying about that earlier. How do you think they'd take it?"
"It's hard to tell with them.."
And that's all the advice I'm squeezing out of Mikey tonight, because he just fell asleep. I cover him with some decorative blankets and take off his glasses for him. He looks like a little kid again, and I watch him for a few minutes before going up to bed myself.
--<3
The next morning, I wake up to Ray's gigantic hair looming over my face. I start violently, and he laughs. I mumble a few not-so-polite words at him and attempt to go back to sleep. He takes my blankets hostage.
"Dude, rise and shine. Everyone's here, we're going out and tonight I'm having a party.
Everyone..
"Ray," I say blearily, "get Bob in here."
"I'm right here."
Bob waves from across the room, where he's playing with Mikey's rainbow Slinkie. Still lying down, I address them both.
"Me and Frank are dating, okay?"
"'Kay," Ray shrugs. Bob offers up a quick smile, and goes back to his Slinke.
"We should get going."
That went well..
I nod my agreement, feeling on top of the world. I decide to express my happiness by bounding down the stairs, pouncing on Frank, and kissing him hard on the mouth.
It's only after we break apart that I notice he was talking to Aunt Kathryn.
Right then.
"Uh..this is my boyfriend Frankie," I tell her nervously. I don't even want to think about the possibility of another eviction over this. Thankfully, I don't have to. Aunt Kathryn just smiles and tells us to clear off because her book club is coming over.
I grab Frank's hand and we set off.
--
Party scene is coming up, of course.