Stolen and Broken

Happy New Year's

The year is almost over and a new one will start. I'm in my room, I'm supposed to get dressed for the party. My mom has laid my dress white dress out on my bed with my shows and hair clip. But I can't seem to move, it's a new year and they are not here. Dad or Jake. They're both gone, one plans to never come back and the other couldn't't come back if he wanted too.
My eyes water up and my throat closes shut, remembering Dad's face as he yelled at Mom saying that he couldn't live here anymore. It all reminded him of Jake too much, he even told her I reminded him of Jake.
"Emily, are you ready yet?” Mom yells up the stairs.
I stand up, take off my towel, and get dressed. Once I have everything on, I put on the silver cross necklace Jake used to always wear. I walk down the stairs to find Mom in a dark red dress that goes down pass her knees. Her hair is pulled up in a pretty bun and her make-up is done up nicely. I smile at her, I can’t make this day any harder then it already is for her, I can’t.
Her eyes water and she smiles for what has seemed like forever. “You look so beautiful,” she says, tears slowly running down her face, messing up her make-up.
I walk to her. “Mom, don’t cry. Please don’t. I want you to be happy now. You should be smiling.”
She looks at me and I know that that’s not true. She has every reason to be crying. Her husband leaves her on New Years Eve and her son was murdered last year on the same day a year ago, for my mom things couldn’t get any worse.
I shake my head and smile. “Come on, I’ll get your jacket. Go fix your make-up.” I kiss her forehead and go to the closet. Once I have on my black trench coat, I carry Mom’s coat to her in the bathroom. “Ready?”
She turns and looks at me. “As ready as I could ever be.
♠ ♠ ♠
first chaper, it's pretty short....tell me what you think