Status: Currently inactive due to my busyness (made up word lol) -_-

I Look To The Rain To Hide My Tears

Chapter 3

Luke’s POV

We got to our house quicken than I expected even though I only lived two doors away. This all just seems so sudden and surreal. I can’t believe Lauren insisted on coming and ‘thanking my family personally’. Her words.

I can’t imagine how my mum is going to take this. I’m not that bothered with my dad. Me and my dad are not what you would call a ‘normal father and son’. Our relationship kinda went downhill two years back. Yes, because of ‘the’ event.

"Umm here we are" I said nervously. I looked over at Tayla. I could see the shock on her face. I’m guessing she didn’t want this whole thank the family business either.

"Oh! Great!" Lauren cried.

I walked down to my door and took my keys out very slowly. I was very nervous if you must know. No one really came to our house for me. All the people who did come were there to see either my mum or dad. My contact with the outside world was.. Zero. Zilch. Zip.

When I finally got the door open I called out "I’m home". Something I’ve never done in.. yep you guessed it.. two years. My mom rushed to the door with a stunned expression like I knew she would.

"We have guests" I said.

"Oh!" is all she said. I got in and she looked outside to see Tayla’s family with the exception of her brother on our doorstep.

"Hello?" she said bewildered but put a smile on her face. That’s my mum.
Always the polite one.

Tayla’s mum did all the talking from there. "Hello there. I’m Lauren. We live two doors away" she beamed.

"Oh.. come in" my mum smiled and invited them in while I walked upstairs to my room. I didn’t want to be there. With the picture perfect family.

Tayla’s POV

Where’s Luke? He was here just a minute ago.

Luke’s POV

I could hear them all talking downstairs. I started getting changed. I changed into a pair of sweats and a t-shirt. I just wish this day would end already!

Tayla’s POV

My mum was talking like crazy while Luke’s mum still looked bemused. My mum did all the introductions. Luke’s mum seemed to warm up to my mum of all people for some strange reason. I guess it’s just some weird mum vibes or whatever.

I looked around for Luke again wondering where he disappeared off to. I can’t handle this on my own. I wish he was here, even though it won’t make much difference, I just felt really composed around him. Weird, I know.

My mum was still babbling. I heard her say something about explaining why we’re here later when the kids are not around. Like we don’t know already.. and kids? We’re sixteen for God’s sake! Well at least, I am. Not sure about Luke, even though he looks about the same age as me.

I looked around their living room. It was very.. homely. I like homely. I smiled to myself at the thought. I saw up to see a beautiful chandelier in the ceiling. On one corner of the room, there was a big plasma TV, along with a DVD player and some other things. There was a glass cabinet with lots of photos, trophies and other knick knacks on another corner. One of the photos caught my eye. It was Luke with a basketball. He looked about 4 or 5. He was grinning like he was the happiest person alive. Hmm.. that’s strange. All this time I’ve known him (which obviously is not a lot) there was this permanent sadness in his eyes. Those few (or should I say very few) times he smiled at me, it never seemed like he wanted to, let alone reach his eye.

There were lots of other photos too. Mostly family ones. A picture perfect family. Unlike mine. I looked away from the photos. Sadness came over me.

My thoughts were broken when Luke’s mum shouted upstairs "Luke, honey.. could you come downstairs for a minute?"

Luke’s POV

"Luke, honey.. could you come downstairs for a minute?" it was my mum. ‘Oh great’ I thought.

I slowly dragged myself down the stairs. They all stared at me except Tayla. My mum still looked puzzled but she didn’t seem to find the fact some strangers were at our house was.. well strange. I looked over at Tayla to see her looking at the wall.. her eyes glazed. For some reason that concerned me. ‘What?!’ I quickly cleared my thoughts.

"Yeah?" I said.

"Why don’t you take Tayla up to your room while the adults talk?" my mum said with a smile. A smile? What is going on here?

"Umm.. kay" I said as looked over at Tayla. I moved towards the stairs, Tayla followed me with her eyes on the floor.

I ran up the stairs while Tayla tried to keep up with me.

We finally got to my room. I opened the door. My room wasn’t like that of a messy typical teenagers. It was rather neat.. I just like it that way. Neat and organized. Unlike my life.

I walked inside and stood near my laptop on my table. She stood at the door and continued to do so.

"You can sit down" I said pointing to the sofa near my window. She walked up to the sofa slowly and sat down. I sat down on the chair near my table. It was one of them rolling ones.

I looked at her to see her looking out of the window. She seemed.. distant.. and sad?

I didn’t want to interrupt her thoughts so I said nothing. But after a while, she seemed really disturbed.

"You okay?" I asked. She turned away from the window to look at me. Her gaze intense.

A single tear ran down her left cheek.

I quickly stood up, not knowing what to do. She got up too and walked towards the door. I caught her by the arm as she passed me, in a hurry to get to the door. I turned her around and slowly bought my hand up to her cheek. She caught my wrist just when my hand was inches away from her cheek.

"Can I use the bathroom?" she sniffled.

I dropped my hand and said "Down the hall".

She walked out of my room and over to the bathroom. I walked over to my doorway to watch her. I saw her walk in leaving the door half open. I walked over to the door. It’s as if someone else was controlling my body. I opened the door a little bit more. We looked at each other through the mirror. She just stood there with a tissue on her hand, looking at me. I suddenly felt a strange feeling.. taking over me as I stood there watching her watch me.

The next thing I know, my mum is calling us back down "Luke come on down, Tayla too".

She looked away and I turned to walk downstairs. Tayla right behind me.

My mum watched me as we came down the stairs with a hopeful smile. My dad was there too. Back from work I guess. He was looking at us too, no expression whatsoever on his face.

"We’re leaving Tayla" her mum said. Tayla walked over and got her coat seeing that her parents already had theirs on.

"Once again thank you Luke" her mum looked over to me with a smile and I returned it.

"You have a great son and I just can’t thank you enough for what he did" Tayla’s mum turned to my parents now smiling. "And also thank you so much for having us over" she added.

"Thank you and it was our pleasure" my mum replied. And as an afterthought she quickly added "Why don’t all of you come over for lunch tomorrow? Little Nathan too" my mum was ecstatic now. I could just see them gleam in her eyes. "We neighbours could use a little getting to know each other" she said with a slight laugh. This is the first time I’ve heard my mum laugh heartily in a long while.

What is she up to? I wondered.

Then it got to me. Oh no no no.. she won’t!

Tayla’s POV

What?! Oh God no no no.. not after what just happened!

Luke’s POV

"That would be wonderful" Tayla’s mum replied and hugged my mum; they just met half an hour ago and they’re already hugging. Wow,,

I looked over at Tayla only to see her eyes on me. She quickly looked away when she met my eyes.

Good bye’s were exchanged and then they headed for the door. I stood on the stairs watching. Tayla was last out and she looked back at me. And I looked back at her. Again there was that strange feeling which took over me.

And then she was gone. Almost in a heartbeat.
♠ ♠ ♠
Long time guys :) so a long chapter. enjoy & comment <3