‹ Prequel: Second Heartbeat
Sequel: Girl I Know

Shattered By Broken Dreams

Chapter 10

Blade got up and answered the door to his bedroom secretly wanting to kill the person who was pounding on the other side.

“What the hell?” he said as Legs stood on the other side.

“You got a certified letter” he said and handed it to him.

“From who?”

“I don’t know, it isn’t addressed to me” he shrugged.

He ripped the envelope open and took out the letter. “It’s from my mother” his face went pale as he spoke.

“What? Why would she send you a letter when she could just come over?”

“Not Aubrey, my birth mother.”

He sat down on the bed and started to read the letter. Legend sat down beside him and read along with him.

The letter read:

My dearest son,

I’m sure as you read this I am the last person that you expected to ever receive a letter from. It’s been 21 years since I said goodbye to you and I would like the opportunity to say hello.

I’m sure you are angry and I know it’s nervy of me to contact you and ask you to meet with me, but I had to do it, even if the answer is no. I just want some closure and to know that you’ve had a good life.

I was still in college when I gave birth to you and part of me wanted to keep you, but the other part of me knew that I wouldn’t be able to care for you they way you should be cared for. I couldn’t afford to provide you with all of the things a baby needs. I didn’t even have medical insurance. The couple who adopted you paid for the hospital bill when you were born.

I gave you up for adoption so you could have everything that I would never be able to give you, please don’t think I gave you away because I didn’t want you. I’ve spent the last 21 years of my life thinking about you every day.

I don’t want to put everything that I have to say to you in a letter, so if you could find it in your heart, I would like you to meet with me for coffee. I will be at the Starbucks on Eight Avenue Friday at 1pm. If you don’t show up, I’ll never contact you again. I hope to see you there.

Sincerely,

Your birth mother.


“What are you going to do?” Legend asked

“I don’t know, I need to go see my dad”

“Ok, do you want me to come with you?”

“No, I got this, thanks though” Blade slipped his feet into a pair of flip-flops and walked out of his bedroom.

As he drove to the mansion the anger in him started to build and so did the tears. When he pulled up to the mansion he read the letter one last time and when he was finished he wiped his eyes and went into the house.

He found his father in the studio with Brian and barged right in interrupting them without any warning.

“How many times have I told you, you can’t just walk in here when we’re working?” Zacky said in frustration.

“Sorry” Blade said.

“Well what’s so important that it couldn’t wait?”

Blade handed his father the letter and Brian stood behind Zacky and read it along with him. When Zacky was finished, he looked over at his son who was standing there with his hands in his pockets looking down at the ground.

“Do you want to see her?” he asked.

“No. I know who my real mother is and it’s not that woman.”

Zacky nodded. “Ok, then lets forget about this letter”

When Blade left the room Zacky turned to face Brian. “What are you doing Friday at 1?”

“Uh nothing that I know of, Why?”

“We’re going to Starbucks”
--

Blade walked into the kitchen to find Melody sitting at the counter eating an apple.

He ignored her and walked over to the fridge to get a bottle of water.

“Well, you aren’t even going to say hello?” she said batting her eyelashes at him.

“Leave me alone Jailbait,” he growled at her.

“You didn’t think I was jailbait last night”

“I didn’t know it was you!”

She spun around on the stool and threw the apple in the garbage. “Admit it, you thought I was hot.”

“I don’t think you are hot, you are a kid.”

“I’m not a kid! I’m 16”

“Like I said, you are a kid. Now stay away from me.” He walked out of the kitchen leaving her there pissed off.

“MELODY!” Brian yelled and she rolled her eyes knowing that it was time to face the music for sneaking out last night.